Squirt Lube

Peron

I think I've made the mistake of reapplying too soon/often in the past leading to gunking.

Finding the right application routine is important (for most lubes), and that may not necessarily mean as per instructions on the bottle.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also not a fan of squirt. I am a big fan of Pedros Ice Wax (it's lube, not a wax) - I findmy drivetrain stays quiet for much longer and doesn't get as dirty as with Squirt or Smoove. BikeMob used to bring it in, stopped a while back and had a clearance sale where I picked up 5 bottles at R30 each. I am down to my last bottle now, don't know where I am gonna find it when it runs out...

Bring your empty around next time you're in the area and we'll refill for you.

Got a 5l workshop bottle lurking in a cupboard.

That said, Smoove is our go-to otherwise. If you follow the application instructions it stays clean and free of squeaks for longer than most.

Somebody should make a poll regarding all the lubes (bike lubes).

Glad you clarified that the study group was only bike lubes...

I've also noticed grime build up on jockey wheels, is this normal? I lube once a week, we do 60km per week.

I've also noticed grime build up on jockey wheels, is this normal? I lube once a week, we do 60km per week.

Jockey wheels get lube onto it with each lube session .... which attracks dust ... thus grime .... again and again ....

The last thing I do after a lube is to wipe off any lube from both jockey wheels.

Still, it is summer, trails are DUSTY .... the whole bike has a lot more dust on it after each ride. Finding I clean the chain more regularly ... the thought of that fine dust grinding away at the chain and gears is too much for my OCD ....

Off topic ... why we do maintain our bikes :

December I serviced a bike for a friend .... bike is less than a year old, but have never been serviced .... DAMN !!!! Never seen such a dirty chain ... took three washes with the Parktool chain washer before the gunk was off the chain .... twice more to actually get the chain shiny .... had to scrape gunk from the jockey wheels with a screw driver ....

Not sure if it is available in Africa, I have moved to a product named BOESHIELD T9 LUBE.

Develeoped with the Boeing Aircraft Corporation, Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Lubricant will dissolve itself and flush out any other lubricant. Penetrates deeply to thoroughly coat inner pins and rollers. Dries to a clean Paraffin Wax film so it will not pick up dirt. Lubricates and protects for 150 to 200 miles per application.

https://products.mtbr.com/product/accessories/lube/boeshield/t9.html

Not sure if it is available in Africa, I have moved to a product named BOESHIELD T9 LUBE.

Develeoped with the Boeing Aircraft Corporation, Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Lubricant will dissolve itself and flush out any other lubricant. Penetrates deeply to thoroughly coat inner pins and rollers. Dries to a clean Paraffin Wax film so it will not pick up dirt. Lubricates and protects for 150 to 200 miles per application.

https://boeshieldsa.co.za/?page_id=17

Is it really as good as the write up and reviews?

If so, I would definitely buy this over smoove or white lightning that I currently use

If you need that type of lube, you're not doing it right ;)

the joys of fitting a +size tyre  in a 26er frame

Edited by DieselnDust

ROTFLMAO

cycling really is the new golf

Jockey wheels get lube onto it with each lube session .... which attracks dust ... thus grime .... again and again ....

The last thing I do after a lube is to wipe off any lube from both jockey wheels.

Still, it is summer, trails are DUSTY .... the whole bike has a lot more dust on it after each ride. Finding I clean the chain more regularly ... the thought of that fine dust grinding away at the chain and gears is too much for my OCD ....

Off topic ... why we do maintain our bikes :

December I serviced a bike for a friend .... bike is less than a year old, but have never been serviced .... DAMN !!!! Never seen such a dirty chain ... took three washes with the Parktool chain washer before the gunk was off the chain .... twice more to actually get the chain shiny .... had to scrape gunk from the jockey wheels with a screw driver ....

ultrasonic cleaning bath is the way forward

ultrasonic cleaning bath is the way forward

Which models can you recommend ?

What chemicals would you use with it ?

And then the sticky question .... how often do you replace the quick link ...

I use both Smoove and Squirt. Squirt definitely gunks up more but is better for wetter rides. Smoove is king for dusty conditions. It’s super important not to use too much and after running it through the chain to wipe off the excess. I only live the inside of the chain.

That being said I do run the chain through a rag and relubr before each ride. Takes 5 minutes but it keeps everything clean and smooth.

I use both Smoove and Squirt. Squirt definitely gunks up more but is better for wetter rides. Smoove is king for dusty conditions. It’s super important not to use too much and after running it through the chain to wipe off the excess. I only live the inside of the chain.

That being said I do run the chain through a rag and relubr before each ride. Takes 5 minutes but it keeps everything clean and smooth.

When I use to use that Squirt stuff I would lube the chain the night before a ride so it could dry off a bit..otherwise I found it just made a gunky mess...I also used a Bearing Man product called Go....same stuff really....just a bigger bottle but cheaper in the long run.

These days I just use gear oil., one drop per pin.....Done with paying a fortune for 120ml of liquid.....

Most important bit is to clean off excess and keep chain clean after every ride regardless of what you use I think....?

Which models can you recommend ?

What chemicals would you use with it ?

And then the sticky question .... how often do you replace the quick link ...[/quote

BJ oberholzer it’s about R1800.00

Lasts forever . I used isopropyl alcohol in mine. Just let the dirt settle and then pump out with a small hand held fuel pump I bought at the hobby store.

Quick links I replace every second use with genuine eagle links for R50. I buy the loose oem ones they’re silver in colour. Those rainbow coloured ones are R90 now!!

I only take the chain off maybe once in 3 months for a deep clean. Haven’t been doing this since eagle and my oberholzer broke down. I had it since the 90s. Bought it for R50 from an equipment auction at work

Takes lot has quite a few units. You can also try Communica in Woodstock/SaltRiver.

Edited by DieselnDust