Sram AXS upgrade or buy a new bike?

WiehanCronje

i have AXS on my bike - it is wonderful

no sticky or heavy cables EVER

you never have to adjust your gears for cable stretch - a pleasure

is it better than mechanical? Yes and No

its easy to live with yes - unless you forget to charge the battery

does it neaten up the look of the bike, for sure! less cables is sexy

i however do not feel the shift quality is any faster or better than a well maintained mechanical set.

I have axs on the road bike, it doesn't shift a lot better/faster than mechanical, actually the feel on the mechanical is better when it works well... But on the MTB since day one I've never had it running 100% perfect. And I changed cables + housing twice, serviced the derailer, changed hanger, changed cassette. I spent so much time trying to get it right I'm over it now. I'll eventually go AXS and keep the XTR for when I sell the bike.

AXS is amazing because it works consistently you're not constantly changing cable tension. BUT the other day my shifter battery died and I had no warning at all, the Garmin told me "battery critical", next second it didn't work anymore. But when a shifter cable brakes you are ******. When your shifter battery dies you can change it without any tool, it's a very standard battery that you'll find in any shop/petrol station. For the derailer on the MTB you'll have to be careful because you only have 1 battery. On the road bike you can easily swap the front/rear battery if needed.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shift speed on a 12 speed MTB cassette is limited by the large jumps in sprocket sizes. The chain still has to wait for a shift ramp to lift the chain. There's only so many shift ramps they can fit onto a sprocket whist still having enough thicker teeth to carry the chain tension loads. So no, mtb shifting speed will never match what they have on the road group sets. SRAM also limits the shifting speed to get maximum battery life out of a small 800mA.hr battery.

my bike will get AXS as soon as I start earning my full salary again. when that will be only the CFO knows

I have axs on the road bike, it doesn't shift a lot better/faster than mechanical, actually the feel on the mechanical is better when it works well... But on the MTB since day one I've never had it running 100% perfect. And I changed cables + housing twice, serviced the derailer, changed hanger, changed cassette. I spent so much time trying to get it right I'm over it now. I'll eventually go AXS and keep the XTR for when I sell the bike.

AXS is amazing because it works consistently you're not constantly changing cable tension. BUT the other day my shifter battery died and I had no warning at all, the Garmin told me "battery critical", next second it didn't work anymore. But when a shifter cable brakes you are ******. When your shifter battery dies you can change it without any tool, it's a very standard battery that you'll find in any shop/petrol station. For the derailer on the MTB you'll have to be careful because you only have 1 battery. On the road bike you can easily swap the front/rear battery if needed.

I am sure you adjusted it properly, but just want to double check if your Btension was/is set properly, I have a XT Rd with SLX shifter and cassette, I had some sloppy shifting initially, and just by accident stumbled across a video explaining how to set the Btension on the Shimano stuff, set it up as per the video and the shifting has been so smooth and crisp since then, I haven't touched it since then and that was about 6 months ago

I am sure you adjusted it properly, but just want to double check if your Btension was/is set properly, I have a XT Rd with SLX shifter and cassette, I had some sloppy shifting initially, and just by accident stumbled across a video explaining how to set the Btension on the Shimano stuff, set it up as per the video and the shifting has been so smooth and crisp since then, I haven't touched it since then and that was about 6 months ago

everything was checked a million times, by me, by a real mechanic. went through the manual about 20 times, etc, etc.... **** it  :lol:  :lol:

Since most advise on upgrading and I'm also considering the upgrade, let me know where you found an upgrade kit for 25, because I mostly find the derailer/shifter for 19/20 and the cassette for 10. That plus the chain it's a 30k+ upgrade and I'll also probably need to change my front blade going from XTR 12spd to Sram 12 spd ?

It's not going to be before a couple months though ;)

I Currently run Sram GX. Casette (10-50) and chain is less than 6 months old. As far as I am aware I will only need derailleur & Shifter? Price on google is around R25k

They are still making it and have explicitly stated they will not stop making it.

OP, m 2c. Do the upgrade. It doesn't seem like you want/need a new bike anyway and 90k is alot of money to spend on something you don't actually want. From all accounts I have heard AXS is chalk and cheese with mechanical, if I had the $ I would do the upgrade myself...

Thanks, I think I will go with the upgrade for now.

My GX is still in great condition and can replace my wife's NX, or when I eventually do sell the bike I can put the GX back and give her my AXS?

The 2022 bikes should be out in 6-8 months anyway. . . Let's see what the new models are like, or even pick-up a brand new 2021 for a bit of a better price?

Afternoon All

Thanks for everyone's comments. Even the financial advice was worth reading!

It's the 1st time I post something like this on Bikehub and I am very pleased with all the comments and advice!

Thanks!

Hmm. Get the new bike.

New bike days are to few!

Also the newer design on epics is awesome.

Why not look at the evo version?

I am a big fan of the Brain. . . Love the new Epics, but I will do the upgrade for now. Times are uncertain and to fork out all that cash for a new bike is maybe a bit reckless. . . Who said we cannot come to this page for sound financial advice? :thumbup:

@WiehanCronje

This is ahead is hopeless and useless with pics of your current fiets.

:devil:

Thanks, I think I will go with the upgrade for now.

The 2022 bikes should be out in 6-8 months anyway. . . Let's see what the new models are like, or even pick-up a brand new 2021 for a bit of a better price?

The launch of new bikes may be a few months away, but the availability of the actual bikes will be a bigger issue and may take until this time next year to come right.

The AXS upgrade will scratch your current itch. Enjoy  :thumbup:

i would not.

this store uses bait and switch tactics with their online prices

I am 1000% certain they do not have that in stock.

they will get back to you with some bull**** excuse and a price that is more market related.

failing to be able to get the product they will come up with a generic excuse.

i know this because i enquired about that product 6 or more months ago.

i was also told they would update the webpage

they are making a poor name for themselves

Edited by Furbz