947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

the illegal car guards came in numbers this year. the cops probably had their hands full. i just told them to get lost when they approached me after the ride.

condolences to the family and friends of the cyclist who passed

Edited by Mokgaga

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Fun day out. Coffee at Dunkeld. Helped a gent out with flat near the zoo. Helped a lady out going up to Wits who cramped and toppled over. @Frosty saw the poor person who passed just by Gold Reef. Condolences to the family 

That gent might have been me. Both tubes I had, had leaky valves. I had 2 Gents offer me bombs and another a tube. If you were one of those, I owe you a beer! 

21 minutes ago, WR 1.0 said:

That gent might have been me. Both tubes I had, had leaky valves. I had 2 Gents offer me bombs and another a tube. If you were one of those, I owe you a beer! 

No worries. You can send me a virtual 🍺 

7 hours ago, NicholasT said:

The Good.

My day and finishing were better than last year, so that’s enough for me. 

The bad.

I would have liked to have finished inside the stadium like the last couple I did. It just kind of puts the cherry on top of the ride.

Being told by a random car guard that I’d have to pay him R100, otherwise he couldn’t guarantee that my cars tyres wouldn’t be slashed and my bodywork damaged did not help put my mind at ease during the ride. He also said the same thing to the drivers that parked in front and behind me.

I hate extortion. 

6 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

They demanded money from me too. Told him politely where he can stick his request. 

Correct response. 

6 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

They also ran next to me to my parking that there was nooo ways I could have found on my own.! 🙄 nearly knocked over about three of them.. and then I heard him mutter “it’s just R50 for the parking..” I didn’t tell him to get bent till I got back.. 

This too. 

5 hours ago, thebob said:

Those “car guards” are bloody vultures. One of them tried it on with me. Told him to sod off

My cousin did too, and helped hum to do so. 

3 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Fun day out. Coffee at Dunkeld. Helped a gent out with flat near the zoo. Helped a lady out going up to Wits who cramped and toppled over. @Frosty saw the poor person who passed just by Gold Reef. Condolences to the family 

Geez someone passed. RIP

After all my excitement and preparation it was not to be 😞

Didn't sleep a wink Saturday night thinking I must be passing a kidney stone, ended up at an emergency visit to our doctor at 7am. He's just cool like that

Fortunately not stones just a very bad bladder infection, loads of meds. Still not lekker but he says 2-3 days so we'll see.

There's always next year 😎

Alos rode past the cyclist that passed. Must have been just after it happened . Was not something nice to see and a few cyclists was kneeling next to him. One could see this was not a good situation. After a great day that left a knot in my stomach 😔

Agree - really missed the stadium finish. The heat was INSANE!!

Ah well - 22 official finishes in the bag. A few to go still. 

Anyone else get the sense that Ride Joburg (94.7) is starting to loose it's appeal?

I am sure covid had a big part to play but looking at the decrease in the numbers over the last 10 years, it is evident that entries have decreased by over 50% with this year being the lowest.

2023 +/- 8500 starters

2022 +/- 9300 starters

2021 +/- 9500 starters

2019 +/- 15800 starters

2018 +/- 18400 starters

2017 +/- 20000 starters

2016 +/- 20300 starters

2015 +/- 21500 starters

2014 +/- 21700 starters

2013 +/- 20800 starters

Thoughts??

13 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Anyone else get the sense that Ride Joburg (94.7) is starting to loose it's appeal?

I am sure covid had a big part to play but looking at the decrease in the numbers over the last 10 years, it is evident that entries have decreased by over 50% with this year being the lowest.

2023 +/- 8500 starters

2022 +/- 9300 starters

2021 +/- 9500 starters

2019 +/- 15800 starters

2018 +/- 18400 starters

2017 +/- 20000 starters

2016 +/- 20300 starters

2015 +/- 21500 starters

2014 +/- 21700 starters

2013 +/- 20800 starters

Thoughts??

Padel

I think Tanya Harford sold the event at just the right time.

Having worked with her and her management team I think it's a hard act for anyone to follow, as she was one tough cookie.....who else gets to tell the JMPD Chief whats what (and more) in the JOC in front of everybody!.

For the new guys its maybe more of a business whereas 947 and Walk The Talk were her passion.

9 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

2023 +/- 8500 starters

2022 +/- 9300 starters

2021 +/- 9500 starters

2019 +/- 15800 starters

2018 +/- 18400 starters

2017 +/- 20000 starters

2016 +/- 20300 starters

2015 +/- 21500 starters

2014 +/- 21700 starters

2013 +/- 20800 starters

Thoughts??

Talking out of personal perspective:

-Cycling in general has seemingly become unacceptably dangerous. Road cycling, even more so. I'm only referring to the training part, but this leads to less people saddling up for races. Having small kids, I cannot risk it anymore, it's not worth it.

-Having 8x 947's under the belt, including a double Lap, and a couple of sub 3's, there remains little in terms of "Goals" to chase for me. I need a goal to work towards to motivate me.

Unfortunately for the organizers, little to nothing they can do with regards to the above two points.

Different tactic they can try: maybe they could target big corporates harder, try to get them hyped up and challenge their "competitors to see who can have the biggest numbers at the race. ABSA vs NEDBANK, Discovery vs Momentum.

They might need to start to think outside the box to attract entrants.

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

After all my excitement and preparation it was not to be 😞

Didn't sleep a wink Saturday night thinking I must be passing a kidney stone, ended up at an emergency visit to our doctor at 7am. He's just cool like that

Fortunately not stones just a very bad bladder infection, loads of meds. Still not lekker but he says 2-3 days so we'll see.

There's always next year 😎

Had a few of those over the years, you did the right thing - Speedy recovery!

3 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Talking out of personal perspective:

-Cycling in general has seemingly become unacceptably dangerous. Road cycling, even more so. I'm only referring to the training part, but this leads to less people saddling up for races. Having small kids, I cannot risk it anymore, it's not worth it.

-Having 8x 947's under the belt, including a double Lap, and a couple of sub 3's, there remains little in terms of "Goals" to chase for me. I need a goal to work towards to motivate me.

Unfortunately for the organizers, little to nothing they can do with regards to the above two points.

Different tactic they can try: maybe they could target big corporates harder, try to get them hyped up and challenge their "competitors to see who can have the biggest numbers at the race. ABSA vs NEDBANK, Discovery vs Momentum.

They might need to start to think outside the box to attract entrants.

I visited a well known bike shop in Woodmead on Monday last week. Admittedly they don't have the most in-demand workshop but on asking about 947 I was told they have seen very little demand and there seemed to be less hype in general.

Ok, I don't listen to 947 ALL the time but over the years there was always a lot of hype and they also used to do some small events in the Cradle for Newbies.....didn't notice any of that.

Im in a similar boat to you and have a few kg's of finishers medals to show for it (anyone need an anchor for their patio furniture? ) but my concern is (voiced earlier) how people ride in the groups...at almost 60 I'm allergic to some idiot hitting brakes in the bunch and putting me in hospital (coming back from 2 general anaesthetics for prostate cancer - now in remission thankfully), I rather just ride my roadbike 2 days a week and my mtb once. I may do some mtb races again next year knowing that if I prang its usually going to be my fault....