Thoughts: Wilier Jaroon Steel Gravel Frameset

Stavros94

Thoughts on this frame set ? 

price is pretty decent at just over 12k 

shipping is on the house...so that’s a plus but has anyone got experience dealing with Merlin cycles I’m sure loads of people have bought from them. 

what am I in for customs wise ? I see conflicting discussions on whether or not there is a duty on “bicycle components “

lakker eve 

1F13080B-F108-411B-9424-B328D0FE7107.png

Just a question why not have Mercer build you a custom gravel frame? His frames are artwork, he's a local so no stress about customs and one hell of a nice guy. Just a thought, because at around the same price I would rather have something special than something anyone could have just taken off the shelf. 

3 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Just a question why not have Mercer build you a custom gravel frame? His frames are artwork, he's a local so no stress about customs and one hell of a nice guy. Just a thought, because at around the same price I would rather have something special than something anyone could have just taken off the shelf. 

i agree ????

I like this idea but I assumed his frames would be out of my price range ? 

I’ll have to get in touch with him and see what he says ! 

thanks ???? 

It also depends on how soon you want the frame - I think Mercer has a waiting list. His work is in demand.

7 minutes ago, Monark said:

It also depends on how soon you want the frame - I think Mercer has a waiting list. His work is in demand.

Would be interesting to know local delivery time and pricing vs import .... seems there are stock issues on most imported items ...

On 9/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, Styvie said:

shipping is on the house...so that’s a plus but has anyone got experience dealing with Merlin cycles I’m sure loads of people have bought from them. 

what am I in for customs wise ? I see conflicting discussions on whether or not there is a duty on “bicycle components “

lakker eve 

I don't know that particular frame, but I did build up a gravel bike with components mainly bought from Merlin.

I managed to get a Kinensis tripster frame and fork from a guy in Joburg for next to nothing. An amazing bike. Merlin also sells them:

https://www.merlincycles.com/kinesis-tripster-at-gravel-bike-frameset-with-columbus-forks-148669.html

I then chose these wheels, which are also amazing and have handled a lot of abuse:

https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-rapid-red-5-db-clincher-gravel-wheelset-161574.html

And then a mixture of Shimano 105 and Ultegra parts (the rx back derailleur with the clutch that you need for gravel).

Every 2-3 months or so they have 30% off sale and that is when I picked up most of the bits for the bike.

On parts I paid 14% VAT, no duty.

I would also consider going down the Kev of Steel or whatever that Benky is selling, they look lakka and I have only heard good things. 

40 minutes ago, Styvie said:

I think a curve, a Kevin is like 50k for a frame only .. ????

I don't think the steel one is that much. The ti one, probably that much. 

One of the guys I build with has built two awesome steel gravel bikes... I would love one of those

All This discussion is getting interesting. I think R12k for a Willier gravel frame is cheap for a good quality steel frame. I suspect Mercer would be at least double the price ?

On 9/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, Styvie said:

lakker eve 

It looks pretty good with some nice details for that price.
The fairly narrow tyre width (40 or 42mm) would put me off though. But that's just me as I would be looking for a 45 to 50mm clearance.

To answer your question about Merlin , i imported a Argon Krypton XR from them , delivery was free , only paid vat at customs . I also bought Fulcrum wheels and other components from them. They are very reliable and you always know where your stuff are through the tracking system. I can highly recommend them.

When I was in the uk I considered a willier at a discounted price. Thought how bad can it be . Couldn’t find a kind word about the frame so decided not to. They have been on sale for about 7 months now . Must say something . 

Agree on merlin ,used them all the time . Amongst many others . Didn’t think Merlin ship to SA. Wanted a handlebar about 3 weeks a go and wouldn’t allow me to ship here .