The Women’s WorldTour: News, Updates, Chirps

'Dale

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Very unusual race tactics yesterday. I wonder what that mood was like in the bus afterwards 😄

Apparently there were radio issues, so none of the team knew that Demi had crashed 

Edit:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/this-roundabout-was-very-dangerous-bredewold-unhappy-with-course-as-crash-evaporates-vollerings-lead-at-tour-de-france-femmes/

Edited by splat

I guess that would explain it although the team car was right behind her after she crashed. I'm assuming comms from car to the front riders was then down?

Maybe.. but it appears as if Lorena was the one who actually bumped into Demi (albeit accidentally).

In her post race interview, she also admitted to seeing a 'yellow thing on the floor' but felt Demi would be able to make up any lost time in the coming stages. 

Considering Demi worked for her in prior stages/races (Olympics included), it must've been extremely awkward on the team bus. 

1 hour ago, splat said:

Apparently there were radio issues, so none of the team knew that Demi had crashed 

That’s the convenient excuse.

3 minutes ago, Spinnaroonie said:

Maybe.. but it appears as if Lorena was the one who actually bumped into Demi (albeit accidentally).

In her post race interview, she also admitted to seeing a 'yellow thing on the floor' but felt Demi would be able to make up any lost time in the coming stages. 

Considering Demi worked for her in prior stages/races (Olympics included), it must've been extremely awkward on the team bus. 

Last 6km of the race, so I imagine that the red mist was down, adrenalin high and everything @ full gas. Proper chaos !

Absolutely! It's an interesting scenario that's for sure. 

I think Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio indirectly said she left the team because of the strange dynamics and micro tussles always at play. That was some years ago but the team continues to be caught up in strange situations. Think Lotte and Vollering at Strade Bianchi and now this...

Anyway, I was hoping someone could dethrone Demi but this isn't it. 

Edited by Spinnaroonie

Ashleigh called them a complex team. I think they’re right up there with the dumbest team ever. She was just being nice.

If your leader in the yellow jersey is not next to you, you stop and wait for her and protect the jersey. Plain and simple. You don’t need a radio for that. Wiebes literally says she saw the yellow jersey fall. So is that queue for her to go and sprint for 10th? 

I have never seen a team as clueless tactically as this team.

On 8/16/2024 at 12:19 PM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Very unusual race tactics yesterday. I wonder what that mood was like in the bus afterwards 😄

Comment on Insta: 'The most accurate comment in Lanterne Rouge analysis “SD Works is like having the talent from UAE and the tactics from Movistar” .

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-racing/tour-de-france-femmes/down-delayed-almost-alone-reflecting-on-demi-vollerings-tour-de-france-femmes-crash/

On 8/16/2024 at 2:38 PM, Bub Marley said:

I have never seen a team as clueless tactically as this team.

Ummm, Movistar..

58 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Ummm, Movistar..

But with the talent of UAE ...

I just shake my head

Edited by NotSoBigBen

What a great week of racing!
Quality stuff

Highs and Lows at the finish line

Canyon//SRAM Racing team's Polish rider Katarzyna Niewiadoma celebrates after crossing the finish line and winning the third edition of the Women's Tour de France cycling race, after the 8th and last stage of the Tour de France, a 149.9 km between Le Grand Bornand and the Alpe d'Huez, in south-eastern France, on August 18, 2024. (Photo by JULIEN DE ROSA / AFP)

ALPE DHUEZ FRANCE AUGUST 18 Stage winner Demi Vollering of The Netherlands and Team SD Worx Protime reacts after the 3rd Tour de France Femmes 2024 Stage 8 a 1499km stage from Le GrandBornand to Alpe dHuez 1828m UCIWWT on August 18 2024 in Alpe dHuez France Photo by Alex BroadwayGetty Images

Edited by splat

Wow what a race. We spoke about earlier about how SD works poor tactics could cost Vollering and obviously it played a part but looking back now, Vollering took so much time to sort herself out and at the end we’re talking about 4 seconds. I know it’s difficult to put yourself in their shoes but I just think she lacked so much urgency to get back on the bike and it’s cost her a grand tour now 

58 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Wow what a race. We spoke about earlier about how SD works poor tactics could cost Vollering and obviously it played a part but looking back now, Vollering took so much time to sort herself out and at the end we’re talking about 4 seconds. I know it’s difficult to put yourself in their shoes but I just think she lacked so much urgency to get back on the bike and it’s cost her a grand tour now 

Imagine a teammate to help her get herself back up and pull her to finish line? Reckon that's at least 5 seconds 🤨

Edited by babse