Mid level dual suss

Mamil

We're quite good at spending each other's money on the hub so....

if you've got 50k budget for a dual suss mtb for messing around tokai and tygerberg trails and doing the odd trailseeker for a rider who thinks he's pushing the envelope if both wheels leave the ground for long enough for garmin to think he's getting some air and who avoids downhill lines cos he's not that good and probably too old to do anything that risky.....

What's your pick? 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Mamil said:

if you've got 50k budget for a dual suss mtb for messing around tokai and tygerberg trails and doing the odd trailseeker for a rider who thinks he's pushing the envelope if both wheels leave the ground for long enough for garmin to think he's getting some air and who avoids downhill lines cos he's not that good and probably too old to do anything that risky.....

What's your pick? 

The 2022 Spark 960.

1 minute ago, TNT1 said:

The 2022 Spark 960.

What about the Trek Top Fuel 7? I've been thinking about getting either of those two options. Have the same budget and requirements as OP :D

1 minute ago, Newbie321 said:

What about the Trek Top Fuel 7? I've been thinking about getting either of those two options. Have the same budget and requirements as OP :D

Yeah, for me it would be a toss up between the Spark and the Top Fuel. I just like the clean look of the Spark's rear shock, and my alltime favorite road bike is my Foil, so I'm prejudiced towards Scott...

4 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

The 2022 Spark 960.

1 minute ago, Newbie321 said:

These are the 2 I'm looking at. Trek favoured cos I have other treks and it's the brand of my lbs

1 minute ago, TNT1 said:

Yeah, for me it would be a toss up between the Spark and the Top Fuel. I just like the clean look of the Spark's rear shock, and my alltime favorite road bike is my Foil, so I'm prejudiced towards Scott...

Scott does look nice plus two water bottle cages...

Just now, Trashy said:

Just waiting for @copperhead to comment on Trek's paint quality...

Thng is I've heard horror stories about paint... Bb... Shock... Fork.... Frame.... Poor warranty service about most every brand. 

A few months ago, two second hand new-gen scalpels kitted with xx1 eagle popped up at R55 000... If I could get one of those at R50 000 I would be very, very happy. But I see you say new so I am not sure. I also like the look of the Anthem, there's a nice GX one a bit under your budget that is listed at the moment I think.

Edited by Sid the Sloth

1 minute ago, Sid the Sloth said:

A few months ago, two second hand new-gen scalpels kitted with xx1 eagle popped up at R55 000... If I could get one of those at R50 000 I would be very, very happy. But I see you say new so I am not sure. I also like the look of the Anthem, there's a nice GX one a bit under your budget that is listed at the moment I think.

I wouldn't be averse to a deal like that. My preference for new is the warranty and my preference for trek is that I love the look of the bike and it puts the purchase with my lbs which is important because it supports them and it means the bike and its inevitable repairs and problems happen in the context of that relationship. 

2 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

yeah in that price range you can get a top of the range second hand bike or a very mid-range new bike, I would pick 2nd hand any day but to each their own ;))

For the trails stated, I would go for a trail bike if I were to ride Tokai regularly, but for Tygerberg a XC bike can do 99% of the trails with an average rider behind the bars (I pretty much only exclude conties DH, Revised and Black Rhino 0 for which the 100mm isn't very forgiving unless you really know what you're doing). Maybe find something in between like 120mm/130mm front suspension ? I doubt you can find a decent carbon frame with XT components in that price range on a new bike, but if you can that would be my go to...

32 minutes ago, Mamil said:

What's your pick? 

Have you looked at the Giant Anthem ? Always thought they are good value for money.

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I wouldn't be averse to a deal like that. My preference for new is the warranty and my preference for trek is that I love the look of the bike and it puts the purchase with my lbs which is important because it supports them and it means the bike and its inevitable repairs and problems happen in the context of that relationship. 

I understand, but I have friends who have been denied warranties for stupid reasons, for the amount you save buying second hand you can pretty much afford replacing any part on the bike except for the wheels and frame off course. And I believe if your frame breaks you can still have your insurance kick in ? (Insuring a 2nd hand bike can be a bit of a mission though if you don't buy from a shop)