Let's give Titan their respect: Rossouw Bekker's Cypher RS in all its glory

OVERDRIVE

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

That extra pivot would/should keep the suspension neutral under braking at least.

That extra pivot never delivered that benefit. It was just marketing BS. Any brake caliper mounted on the same suspension element as the wheel has minimal influence on the brake. Brake Jack is worst on the fork thanks to the weight transfer

I rode the empire version of this bike - the 120mm suspension version.

I found it to be a fantastic ride. Really was impressed with it

The value is insane with the titan

The only issue I had was it felt a bit heavy to pedal on a XC course at race pace.

So I opted for a XC bike to rather suite the riding I do.

If I had more money and space I'd happily buy the empire as my go to trail riding bike.

28 minutes ago, guidodg said:

yup...it's the only high end XC bike left in the world with that pivot...

Most, not quite all, but for 100mm and even 120mm travel bikes it's rapidly moving in that direction. Considering the price it's a minor thing and doesn't really detract from the bike. Pretty sure the designer is already working on it. 

20 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Most, not quite all, but for 100mm and even 120mm travel bikes it's rapidly moving in that direction. Considering the price it's a minor thing and doesn't really detract from the bike. Pretty sure the designer is already working on it. 

I think if that pivot is removed I'd seriously look at buying a Titan as my next bike.

It's a fairly big detractor buying a brand new bike with an outdated suspension setup

It's a rad bike.

I built my team frame up with very trail oriented bits. 120mm Cane Creek Helm fork, 4 pot brakes, wide bars, Butcher/Pergatory tires etc.... As a down country/trail bike it is amazing. 

It feels more capable than my old Jeffsy and definitely more efficient when climbing and putting down whatever feeble power I have. 

The extra pivot is definitely not my bottle neck and if Rossouw Bekker can ride it to 15th in GC, probably isn't going to be an issue for anyone commenting either. 

One thing they could do (which Titan and Momsen seem to be guilty of) is make the tubes straighter. Straighter is lighter, bends and details need more material.

But really, for a South African company they are making fantastic products. 

As an aside I am glad I have the black on black version. I'm not a massive fan of the colours 

22 minutes ago, Furbz said:

I think if that pivot is removed I'd seriously look at buying a Titan as my next bike.

It's a fairly big detractor buying a brand new bike with an outdated suspension setup

better tell that to Cannondale and Pyga. Both recently just released brand new XCO race bikes with Horst Link suspension.

On the heavy feeling pedaling I expect that this is a component of the suspension set up. probably too much sag to get a more plush feeling. Horst Link bikes have a narrower set up window for that spritely feeling. To imrove the set up window the engineers have to lower the anti squat (Scalpel) which makes the bike bob a little. They counter this with a shorter stroke shock (Scalpel '21 again). Titan Racing has gone with a pretty standard Horst set up so it really needs more low speed compression or a Brain type suspension unit to get the best of both worlds

Edited by DieselnDust

20 minutes ago, Furbz said:

Outdated? How so? The kinetic movement is just as efficient, arguably more so than 'flex' ... Sure there's a weight saving and less maintenance on a pivot free area, but far from outdated. And at an average of 20% less cost I'll take it. The sales also prove that it's not as big a detractor. 

40 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It's a rad bike.

I built my team frame up with very trail oriented bits. 120mm Cane Creek Helm fork, 4 pot brakes, wide bars, Butcher/Pergatory tires etc.... As a down country/trail bike it is amazing. 

It feels more capable than my old Jeffsy and definitely more efficient when climbing and putting down whatever feeble power I have. 

The extra pivot is definitely not my bottle neck and if Rossouw Bekker can ride it to 15th in GC, probably isn't going to be an issue for anyone commenting either. 

One thing they could do (which Titan and Momsen seem to be guilty of) is make the tubes straighter. Straighter is lighter, bends and details need more material.

But really, for a South African company they are making fantastic products. 

As an aside I am glad I have the black on black version. I'm not a massive fan of the colours 

Do you know what the eye to eye length of the shock is? Also max tyre size at the back? Are you still running 100mm at the back?

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

can anyone point out this extra pivot to this roadie please

The latest race bikes all have flex stays on the rear triangle, where as the Titan has a pivot point on the chain stay/near the rear axle. 

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The latest race bikes all have flex stays on the rear triangle, where as the Titan has a pivot point on the chain stay/near the rear axle. 

ahh ok, thanks

1 minute ago, Jono said:

Do you know what the eye to eye length of the shock is? Also max tyre size at the back? Are you still running 100mm at the back?

It's a metric shock, both the 100mm and 120mm run 190mm eye to eye, so I removed the 7.5mm bump spacer to lengthen the stroke from 37.5mm to 45mm to make it 120mm front and rear.

I have a 2.4 pergatory in the back with lots of space

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

also known as a Horst Link