Hikers/trail runners on MTB specific single tracks

FA

I haven't encountered trail runners on the MTB trails in Tokai for quite some time, in fact all year. Is there a specific time of day that this is prevalent?

trail running on a mtb trail especially a DH track is a bit like riding a scooter the wrong around a race track with a motogp in full swing

its pretty stupid and inconsiderate

There will always be one or two. If you do encounter them, make it clear that these are MTB specific trails and may not be used by runners or hikers due to serious safety concerns. Point out to them that there are hundreds of KM of non-cycling single track in the park they can use. If that doesn't work, vloek them ???? (please don't this is a joke)

2 hours ago, Mojoman said:

Attack! (said in jest before knickers get twisted with some here!)

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

We used to do this on our bicycles as kids with "spears" made from the trees in the local bush, and matching swords....how no one lost and eye or a life is a mystery 

If you do find the solution, please let me know what it is. I live in a narrow 1way street next to a school and, especially during the last two years, we see an absolute pandemic of idiots driving up the street (against traffic). Yes, it is just a matter of time before a law abiding driver or an innocent school kid is taken out, but they still have an attitude if you don't make room for them to pass. Initially I thought they were mostly Uber drivers getting directed incorrectly by their app, but I came to the conclusion that they are just idiots from all walks of life.

Edited by DJR

28 minutes ago, DJR said:

If you do find the solution, please let me know what it is. I live in a narrow 1way street next to a school and, especially during the last two years, we see an absolute pandemic of idiots driving up the street (against traffic). Yes, it is just a matter of time before a law abiding driver or an innocent school kid is taken out, but they still have an attitude if you don't make room for them to pass. Initially I thought they were mostly Uber drivers getting directed incorrectly by their app, but I came to the conclusion that they are just idiots from all walks of life.

you could always go the youtube vigilante route of 

14 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

...but where they courteous?

There isn't room for courtesy on a trail like Cobra where, one, there is an immediate blind spot after the drop in, and two, you need momentum and cannot stop on the first stretch. Courtesy is always nice but when it's due. 

On Saturday I road past a bunch of runners as I was going to Cobra. They were coming from Silvermine and had several dogs with them. As far as I understand, dogs are not allowed up there, especially because of baboons. I'm cycling for 20 years and have only ever encountered a runner on the singletrack once about 10 years back. 

17 minutes ago, copperhead said:

While some may not like this I would try to cause as much damage to the runner(s) as possible. I came across a guy once riding up a down trail only. He swore at me. Never ever again will I take this sort of behavior. Not much to do here in the Cederberg though. No runners anywhere. Great success. 

I did not want to mention this. Thats why I said I have no patience. I would just end up with the front wheel in their face......

17 hours ago, Razor1972 said:

On Saturday I road past a bunch of runners as I was going to Cobra. They were coming from Silvermine and had several dogs with them. As far as I understand, dogs are not allowed up there, especially because of baboons. I'm cycling for 20 years and have only ever encountered a runner on the singletrack once about 10 years back. 

Seems like we encountered the same group, I got them at Mamba, who, funny enough, were discussing whether they should run up Cobra ????

So, what was the reaction from the runners when you (politely) told them that they should be running on the dedicated single tracks ?

I see the same at the Missing Link (technically it's not MTB specific). 

I both ride and run the trails. On the bike I've had many close calls with runners, hikers, dog walkers, dog poop... - 50% of which get a massive fright like "I totally did not expect a bike on this trail!".

When I run - always on the lookout for bikes (look & listen). It's not a double black/DH trail so there's more than enough time to hear/see a bike approaching and get out of the way. 

2 hours ago, FA said:

Seems like we encountered the same group, I got them at Mamba, who, funny enough, were discussing whether they should run up Cobra ????

lol. crazy

Reminds me of the Cradle Trail MTB loop. It's an open access directional mountain bike trail. Have had one or two close calls with both trail runners and motorbikes and each time when these folk have been politely, yet firmly called out, is telling. 

There will always be 'that person' ... 

I think with the popularity increase in outdoor activities this will be a more regular occurrence. Part of the double edged sword with more people getting outdoors, it does also represent an opportunity to invest more in outdoor code and etiquette education. As well as more planning of dedicated route builds amongst shared areas. 
Will help mitigate much of the problems faced.