Rockshocks fork oil

3 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Talk about moving the goal posts. 

In the past I used the 0W-30 Rockshox oil on my 2020 Pike Ultimate and going through the manual now I see they list Maxima PLUSH Dynamic Suspension Lube Light as the oil to use. 

What is the difference and will I be killing anything sticking to the 0W-30 oil?

It's what was originally specced for that fork. The new oil came out at the same time as the MY22 fork range, so they've obviously discontinued the old, out of date, no longer good enough stuff, which should be disposed of immediately.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, droo said:

It's what was originally specced for that fork. The new oil came out at the same time as the MY22 fork range, so they've obviously discontinued the old, out of date, no longer good enough stuff, which should be disposed of immediately.

:D :D

I'll dispose of it 20ml at a time every 50 hours.

• 6 months later...
On 7/12/2022 at 3:15 PM, Steady Spin said:

Talk about moving the goal posts. 

In the past I used the 0W-30 Rockshox oil on my 2020 Pike Ultimate and going through the manual now I see they list Maxima PLUSH Dynamic Suspension Lube Light as the oil to use. 

What is the difference and will I be killing anything sticking to the 0W-30 oil?

Guess I will try to revive an old thread😅

This may be a stupid question but does anyone know where one could buy the new Maxima PLUSH Dynamic Suspension Lube Light oil?

I just treated myself to a new 2023 Lyrik and would just like to be prepared when service time comes😅

I am not sure if the new charger 3 dampers would actually require it or if another alternative like 5w30 could still be used.

Thanks for your help

5 hours ago, WT said:

This may be a stupid question but does anyone know where one could buy the new Maxima PLUSH Dynamic Suspension Lube Light oil?

I just treated myself to a new 2023 Lyrik and would just like to be prepared when service time comes😅

I am not sure if the new charger 3 dampers would actually require it or if another alternative like 5w30 could still be used.

Thanks for your help

Depends where you're based. We've got in stock, but so do the RS agents so any bike shop should be able to order for you.

1 hour ago, droo said:

Depends where you're based. We've got in stock, but so do the RS agents so any bike shop should be able to order for you.

Much appreciated!

I am in up in Gauteng. I was just unsure about where to find some as I couldn't find any in our local online shops.

I will ask the LBS when service time comes!

Congrats on the New Fork

At that Price I would get it serviced by the Agents.

PS

I recently had a RS Fork (Not a Lyric) delivered with Very Little Oil in the Lowers.

Edited by dasilvarsa

Thanks

Quite excited to see how it rides this weekend😁

Maybe I am stingy but I find a simple lower service is simple enough to do yourself.

The damper rebuild on the other hand... I prefer to have someone knowledgeable do that.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:38 AM, WT said:

Thanks for your help

The oil you refer to is not damper oil, but lower leg lubricant. Refer to the manual for damper oil specs. Its probably still 5wt? 

1 minute ago, Headshot said:

The oil you refer to is not damper oil, but lower leg lubricant. Refer to the manual for damper oil specs. Its probably still 5wt? 

It is the lower leg lubricant I am looking for. Just wanted to make sure I use the right stuff when doing a lower service. 

I believe the dampers use 3wt now.

For the damper service I will have someone a bit more experienced do the service though😅

3 minutes ago, WT said:

It is the lower leg lubricant I am looking for. Just wanted to make sure I use the right stuff when doing a lower service. 

I believe the dampers use 3wt now.

For the damper service I will have someone a bit more experienced do the service though😅

Yes, the lower leg oil. Relatively straightforward to service the legs.

• 1 year later...

Question for @drooand @DieselnDust

I want to do a damper service on my fork, and I am just wondering what damper fluid would be best? Is a normal fork damper fluid ie Motul factory line 2.5w fork oil a better choice than say Motul High VI 400 shock oil? And what is the reasoning? 

7 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Question for @drooand @DieselnDust

I want to do a damper service on my fork, and I am just wondering what damper fluid would be best? Is a normal fork damper fluid ie Motul factory line 2.5w fork oil a better choice than say Motul High VI 400 shock oil? And what is the reasoning? 

What fork is it?

is it still under warranty?

Edited by DieselnDust

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

What fork is it?

is it still under warranty?

Its a 2021 Rockshox Lyrik select+, dont think it has any warranty anymore 

The VI of the Maxima stuff that RS uses is double that of the Motul fork oil, how much of a difference that makes will depend on how hard you're pushing the fork. The VI400 is higher than the Maxima, but they don't make it anymore so it'll only work if you can find some old stock somewhere.

Viscosities are all close enough as makes no difference.