Expensive Bikes

JJason

Hi all

Can someone maybe explain 

I had a nice Carbon bike, got damaged and need to replace it now,
but for the past 3-4 years I never relay looked at buying  a new one and only read through new release articles

But now that I need to buy one..

Is Carbon out and Aluminium in now a days ? as Alumium bikes cost more than what Carbon bikes use to cost and carbon bikes are even worse  

did I miss something or did bikes really get this expensive ??????

There was this little thing going around called COVID-19. You might've heard something about it. Anyway, it really did a number on global supply chains and stocking predications went to hell. Then, there was a ship called the Evergrande that was doing donuts in the Suez Canals that caused some further delays.

These things conspired together to make things more expensive, but the cycling industry got hit hard as well.

there is a shortage of stock since Covid that is why the bike prices have increased so much.

8 minutes ago, GhostSixFour said:

There was this little thing going around called COVID-19. You might've heard something about it. Anyway, it really did a number on global supply chains and stocking predications went to hell. Then, there was a ship called the Evergrande that was doing donuts in the Suez Canals that caused some further delays.

These things conspired together to make things more expensive, but the cycling industry got hit hard as well.

i have seen it other hobbies, but never realised cycling got this bad!

9 minutes ago, Arrie said:

there is a shortage of stock since Covid that is why the bike prices have increased so much.

So best to wait and see but , wil it ever get cheap again is another topic on its own ...

Man, forget about the latest and greatest. Buying second/hand demo stock/older models can save lots of $$$. No more BS about supply chains and inflation.

E,g, - sure, external shocks are so 2021, but for only R105k you can walk away with this bargain.

18 minutes ago, Fisan said:

Man, forget about the latest and greatest. Buying second/hand demo stock/older models can save lots of $$$. No more BS about supply chains and inflation.

E,g, - sure, external shocks are so 2021, but for only R105k you can walk away with this bargain.

I saw this model in Cycle lab last week for R181K , its ridiculous, 

Don’t think prices will ever come down to be honest, supply chains are broken. Fuel prices have skyrocketed etc. 
Demand for bikes is also really high, so people buy them at the current elevated prices, so if costs come down why would companies bring their prices down? Could just make more profit? 

If you look on the bigger international stores, almost everything is sold out and has been for a while now.

Hiring a ship has gone up 280 % according to a person in the industry .Container prices doubled at least .The list goes on .Try getting a shipping quote for less than the bike is worth !

1 minute ago, eala said:

Hiring a ship has gone up 280 % according to a person in the industry .Container prices doubled at least .The list goes on .Try getting a shipping quote for less than the bike is worth !

This is correct, daily ship chartering rates has exploded due to the demand. It's practically impossible to find tonnage to hire, if you do it's at exhorbitant rates.

Coupled by shortage of empty containers, in the areas of the world where its needed adds to the chaos and Price premiums.

Delays in production, means big producers are holding onto the containers for longer waiting to fill and ship out thus means containers take longer to turnaround add to the cost shipping companies add onto prices as it's opportunity losses being factored in aswell.

China now having scheduled power outages due to apparent carbon reduction fines they will get if they don't lower ther co2 footprint, again causing a delay in supply chain.

However that is more a political and economic power play to keep demand high in my view.

Prices of bikes won't decrease, even if shipping rates decrease by next year.

4 hours ago, GhostSixFour said:

simple things like the price of raw materials that go into the manufacture of alum is stupidly expensive and short in stock, so this gets passed on again and again, and again to the end consumer.

in the building industry there have also been steep price increases thanks to factors such as the above.