Now I've seen it all-thug uses a GRINDER to steal a Trek in broad daylight

OVERDRIVE

Not really a new way to use a portable angle grinder hidden in a jacket .Standard practice in many places including Stellenbosch

5 hours ago, ChrisF said:

And THIS is the biggest hindrance to "commuter" cycling in SA.

Every so often I have to cycle home, get in the car to go to the shop, pharmacy, etc ....  simply no safe parking ...

This AND the new culture of videotaping rather than stepping in ....

when they started building the new Leroy Merlin near my house I followed them on Social Media, in one post the boasted about all the parking available, so I asked if they could please provide secure parking for bicycles. Their response "we have plenty of parking available for you to use"

Well guess what, when I dont feel like the effort of taking the car out but I need something quickly I now walk to Builders Warehouse.

28 minutes ago, ouzo said:

when they started building the new Leroy Merlin near my house I followed them on Social Media, in one post the boasted about all the parking available, so I asked if they could please provide secure parking for bicycles. Their response "we have plenty of parking available for you to use"

Well guess what, when I dont feel like the effort of taking the car out but I need something quickly I now walk to Builders Warehouse.

About 15 years ago Potchefstroom PnP had a "bike parking" system where your bike was stored in a rack, and you got a voucher for it.

Pity we dont see more of this .... not even sure if the Potch system is still functional.

3 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Maybe it is just me but I won't confront a criminal yielding an angle grinder. 
Just me?

SO many options ....

Call a security guard.

Call the cops.

If you are in your car hoot at him and be ready to knock him off the bike.

The way that guy stands, he is totally off balance and a slight push would see him fall over the rail into the road ...

So many options other than looking the other way, or even worse, taken a video ...

Ek is GATVOL vir donners wat my goed steel !!  I WONT "look the other way". 

24 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

SO many options ....

Call a security guard.

Call the cops.

If you are in your car hoot at him and be ready to knock him off the bike.

The way that guy stands, he is totally off balance and a slight push would see him fall over the rail into the road ...

So many options other than looking the other way, or even worse, taken a video ...

Ek is GATVOL vir donners wat my goed steel !!  I WONT "look the other way". 

Remember, this is the UK.
There are no security guards. Just cameras, so they wear hoodies and masks.
Cops come within a few minutes, but these guys are gone already. Usually on scooters, so they disappear into the traffic.
Hoot at him ? And then ?
Damage your car for someone else? You will have an interesting time with your insurance...
Remember, this is the UK, so everyone has rights and you can't be a vigilante.

I get your anger and frustration, but this is how 1st world countries seem to be evolving.
So many rules, but seemingly not enough action any more. This sort of (petty) theft is on the rise and the police are under resourced and overrun with not enough support from government.
There used to be respect for the law and the police in the UK.

2 hours ago, splat said:

Remember, this is the UK.
There are no security guards. Just cameras, so they wear hoodies and masks.
Cops come within a few minutes, but these guys are gone already. Usually on scooters, so they disappear into the traffic.
Hoot at him ? And then ?
Damage your car for someone else? You will have an interesting time with your insurance...
Remember, this is the UK, so everyone has rights and you can't be a vigilante.

I get your anger and frustration, but this is how 1st world countries seem to be evolving.
So many rules, but seemingly not enough action any more. This sort of (petty) theft is on the rise and the police are under resourced and overrun with not enough support from government.
There used to be respect for the law and the police in the UK.

Another issue is being the uk, the **** most likely will have a knife on him.... 

8 hours ago, Mojoman said:

How the world becomes when criminals are treated like wittle childrens.....

As for stepping in....Knowing the world today YOU will be the dancing in a pile of brown stuff...not the criminal...

Ja correct, sadly.

A measured response with no physical clues (blood) left behind, a klap on the ear hole from behind while he is grinding will disorient the **** and leave no trace...

easy to say, which is why this type of petty crime is so popular, people just stand by and watch