Now I've seen it all-thug uses a GRINDER to steal a Trek in broad daylight

OVERDRIVE

8 hours ago, MORNE said:

I know right???
who chains a circa 100k bike to a bike stand in the street? ????

And THIS is the biggest hindrance to "commuter" cycling in SA.

Every so often I have to cycle home, get in the car to go to the shop, pharmacy, etc ....  simply no safe parking ...

This AND the new culture of videotaping rather than stepping in ....

How the world becomes when criminals are treated like wittle childrens.....

As for stepping in....Knowing the world today YOU will be the dancing in a pile of brown stuff...not the criminal...

13 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

And THIS is the biggest hindrance to "commuter" cycling in SA.

Every so often I have to cycle home, get in the car to go to the shop, pharmacy, etc ....  simply no safe parking ...

This AND the new culture of videotaping rather than stepping in ....

Ek gaan met my fiets winkel toe, ek vat dit net saam met my in dis kleiner as 'n trolley. ???? Ja kyk die regte ???? hier is die 1 wat staan en kyk hoe hy die fiets steel... 

Some owners are also just stupid though, saw a Levo left on a bike rack last night, no chain or cable, only the clamp lock on the top tube which are know to do nothing at all.

So sad that today a person would rather film someones demise rather than help them, all the for the sake of going viral. But then you do get the odd good samaritan who's willing to help, although that's often recorded too

8 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Who stands by and watches (films) the theft..... should have confronted the **** properly, klap on the ear hole followed by a tekkie to the knacks

This is the UK.
Crime is on the rise, criminals are brazen and people seem powerless. A whole social decay thing that is rapidly spiralling out of control.
Comments on the UK cycling websites are interesting.

https://road.cc/content/news/thieves-use-angle-grinder-take-trek-bicycle-287619

Edit:

Thieves don't care and onlookers aren't going to risk themselves from someone else's bike.
20 000 bikes are stolen per year. People have resigned themselves to the crime and and it seems to have got to the point where its your fault if your bike is stolen - Your lock isn't strong enough.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9273623/Moment-brazen-bike-thief-uses-ANGLE-GRINDER-cut-security-lock.html

Edited by splat

I skim-read the headline and thought a thug had used the dating app GRINDER to meet someone and then steal their bike. The reality is a bit of a let down.

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I have to cycle home, get in the car to go to the shop, pharmacy, etc ....  simply no safe parking ...

I must count myself very lucky that supermarket and liquor store and pharmacy staff look out for us, they insist that I lock my bikes inside next to security.  If only I didn’t love me ol' cars, I have no need for them.

3 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Ja kyk die regte ???? hier is die 1 wat staan en kyk hoe hy die fiets steel... 

Presies.  My black labbie and I were in time to prevent the rape of a teen girl behind shrubs around the corner from my home.  Convicted of assault with GBH.  Definitely must intervene.

Edited by justinafrika