Giro D'Italia 2024: Chirps, Buzz and Updates

'Dale

1 minute ago, J Wakefield said:

UAE and Bahrain will be exposed today if anyone is. 

ineos will be fine with Jumbo. It would come down to leader on leader 

Fair enough… it’s all to play for the GC guys. I wonder which rider will attack first?

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Jbr said:

place your bets, is Pinot going to beat up that EF guy after the stage or not ? 🤣

Fists are going to fly !

When Road Cyclists Attack: The Craziest Fights Featu...

Italian and Spanish cyclists clash on stage six of Volta a Portugal |  Cycling | The Guardian

Video: Cyclist punches prone rival at end of bike race | road.cc

After all the years of watching the #Giro2023  I've lost interest ... I'm well aware it's out of control of the organisers and the riders/teams but it's just lost 'something' this time around.

2 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

After all the years of watching the #Giro2023  I've lost interest ... I'm well aware it's out of control of the organisers and the riders/teams but it's just lost 'something' this time around.

For me, the 3rd week is stacked with too much climbing. The peloton are riding to conserve their matches for that week. Weather aside, that falls on the organisers for "polarising" their route.

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I think the race has played second fiddle to TDF but it’s an extremely taxing tour none the less. I disagree with you, I think this year has brought out a very open event, with challenges unimaginable!

I mean look at todays stage, when was the last Time a stage of the Giro shared the same finish as TDF?  The sport is also going through a generation shift so of course that comes from a new school of radio racing which never was a factor back in the day. Nice to see riders that work hard day on to stay Pro and finally get a win! The German the other day was a great example. 
Anyways, there is so much action ahead, this is close, when last did you see a Grand Tour with the first 3 in such close proximity?….🤔

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

For me, the 3rd week is stacked with too much climbing. The peloton are riding to conserve their matches for that week. Weather aside, that falls on the organisers for "polarising" their route.

Yeah today they all had a gentleman’s agreement from what I could read between the lines from GT comments.

I actually thought the opposite, I was actually thinking that one team might jump at this short opportunity to gain some traction into the GC. So all the doing is aiming for one showdown which  is going to blow up that GC. The top ten we have now we radically change by

next week. I can’t see the Norwegian remaining in the fight, and a few others will fall away. Pity today wasn’t long enough for a shake up… but at least we know France will slow down on importing Columbian coffee! 🤣🤣🤣 Aaah Pinot, so close. Gotta love the Giro. 👍🏻👀

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

For me, the 3rd week is m with too much climbing. The peloton are riding to conserve their matches for that week. Weather aside, that falls on the organisers for "polarising" their route.

That’s generally the same for most grand tours, a few big climbing days decides the GC which eliminates 90% of riders.

Organizers should try a route along the lines of a spring classic with shorter climbs and give more riders a chance to win the GC

just saying…

Man, I was really wanting Thibaut to win that stage, rather than the other 2, even though they were supreme climbers; I just felt I was watching less ‘Vanilla’ racing, and more seat-of-the-pants stuff! Made me think back to 80s cycling: Kelly, Armstrong, Ulrich, and even the Badger and Lemond!

Very impressed with Thibaut, going to watch more closely going forward!

Admittedly, the rainbow jersey and maglia rosa leaving the Giro was a kick in the nuts. Remco received such criticism from all over for exiting after week 1 and taking care of his health. Of course, he was paid an appearance fee of substance, I guess.
And the illness thinning out the peloton, not lekka to see. However, athlete health and safety first. 44 riders have left the race, yoh.

The rainy weather is definitely damping the spirits of the peloton, pun intended. There is less risk taking, less bravado on greasy surfaces and, of course, conserving matches for a very tough week 3.

However, racers like man mountain Milan, the diminutive Ben Healy, the resilient Derek Gee and veterans like Denz have really lit up the 'race within the race'. Not to mention, yesterday's mountain duel and a very crafty win by for Movistar. If you can admire the difficulty level and the unpredictability of the racing thus far, it is there. Excitement will of course ramp up in week 3, another pun intended.

Today's stage was just sublime. It was a race within the race within the break. And, of course, an unexpected new GC leader in FDJ's Armirail. It’ll be the biggest day for his career. The first Frenchman since 1999 to wear the leader jersey in the Giro.

Breathtaking finalé at the head of the race, yoh.

"I wanted to look for a stage win today. I didn't really imagine that I was going to take the maglia rosa tonight. It's amazing. I tried on stage 4 and was disappointed not to take the win home. But it's brilliant.

"The moment it became a reality for me was there at the end. In the last few kilometres I was hurting, struggling, really trying to stay with everyone. For the team it's fantastic after Thibaut's second place yesterday. It's a dream. I can't believe it."

Pic credit: Getty Sport Images Na38HJm6WaDRGAeRvaUrg6.jpg

Edited by 'Dale

9 hours ago, SwissVan said:

That’s generally the same for most grand tours, a few big climbing days decides the GC which eliminates 90% of riders.

Organizers should try a route along the lines of a spring classic with shorter climbs and give more riders a chance to win the GC

just saying…

The Tour will have all that… the first week is very classic! We are only a few weeks away.👍🏻

On 5/19/2023 at 7:05 PM, NotSoBigBen said:

I joined the Giro very late so my comment will be read last-but i'm really not into adverse weather so maybe thats why I'm struggling? 

On 5/19/2023 at 7:10 PM, Frosty said:

I'm guessing the more men fall away the better it is...which makes no sense. 

12 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

The Selvino climb has these gorgeous hairpin bends - 11.1 km at 5.6% gradient. Yum yum.💋

IMG_0894.jpeg

This def not for me.