Giro D'Italia 2024: Chirps, Buzz and Updates

'Dale

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, 'Dale said:

The race of truth today, with a 6.6 km climb at the end after 34 kms.

The TT will likely set apart the podium contenders from the best-of-the-rest. 

Pogačar’s last performance against the clock, if I remember correctly, was an effort clouded by illness or exhaustion, during the Tour de France 2023 edition. It was the time of the extraordinary effort by the flying maillot jaune in Vingegaard. In light of this, I imagine this will be an important performance benchmark for team UAE, who has really elevated their time trial capabilities across the team in the last while.

After an intense first week, many of the pure climbers, like Quintana, have already slid down the ladder or is out of the race, like Michael Woods.

Meanwhile, the Stelvio is 2 weeks away and in a beautiful winter’s coat still. Here’s hoping for no routes shortened or mountain passes shut down.

(Pic sent to me on Wazzap, sauce unknown)

cd96c4c5-526a-4ddf-a860-0b2470c04eb9.jpeg

Stelvio is cancelled info was sent this morning and an alternative is being made.

3 minutes ago, Gnarly said:

This has got to be the least discussed Giro in years.

It didn't even look like Pog was breathing hard when he crossed the line on Sunday.

44 minutes ago, Mamil said:

It didn't even look like Pog was breathing hard when he crossed the line on Sunday.

Same story with his ITT... It's weird. 

1 hour ago, Gnarly said:

It was over before it started actually. Pog should look for glass and thorns in the road and test his wheel changing abilities as well team tactics... 

2 minutes ago, warrencharlesza said:

hope Peppa Pog doesnt sit back and use the next 2 weeks as a training block for the tour, will be rather tedious to watch. 

It wouldn't be the worst thing though, as it will tighten up the already huge time gaps AND it will give him a better chance at winning TdF. More entertainment for us!

I do wonder if this strategy is even possible though. Probably not. 

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Unstoppable 

………………………………    

Unbelievable

Which side of the fence does he ride?

27 minutes ago, Gnarly said:

is it still on? 

5 rest day thoughts:

1. Defending strategy for UAE until Rome? 
Not sure. I think the team is more ambitious and the maglia rosa will want to dominate the mountain stages with his extraordinary capabilities. Week 3, Dolomites, tifosi, uhm, the GC leader will be very tempted to not conserve for le Tour and show off that awesome jersey.

2. Phew! In Hungary, Lidl-Trek’s Thibau Nys is another ‘import’ from cyclo-cross who is demonstrating seriaaas racing pedigree at 21 years old. Alongside WVA, MVDP and the super Slovenian, he is sure to entertain for many seasons to come. 

3. The fast descent into Naples in the finalé was very dangerous with potholes. Lots of concerns were raised at the race, in news headlines and on podcasts. Rider safety remains a tricky and complicated area in the sport. Do the organisers care or is it just too impossible with racers pushing the limits and gains on their aero machines, skin suits and wider tyre choices or is it just too much road surface to cover or a bit of all the above?

4. My favourite part of week 1 - watching the break win. And win again... 

5. I am keeping an eye on the steady Colombian time trial jersey in Martínez. After serving as a mountain sherpa at Ineos’, he is slowly repurposing himself as a GC contender. It’s an important Grand Tour that can truly elevate the 28 year old’s career arc.

Edited by 'Dale