Winelands Cycle Race in January

Paarl Rotary

Soooo on another not I picked up a pair of cycling sunglasses other side of Bothmans pass assuming A group rider if anyone missing a pair lost on race I possibly have them. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

Was a technical breakaway off the back for some additional individual training.

Going back to the team car to collect some water bottles. 

12 hours ago, Shebeen said:

doesn't say much, I guess hands are tied.

MEDIA RELEASE

Cyclists dies after Winelands Cycle Race

The organiser of last Sunday's Winelands Cycle Race, the Rotary Club of Paarl, has expressed its deep regret and sadness at the death of Juan Gierz, who according to available information, attempted to avoid a fellow cyclist near the finishing line in Wellington and collided with a vehicle in a side street.

A medic was dispatched to the scene who attended to Mr Gierz, and an ambulance from the local ambulance service transported him to the nearest hospital where he subsequently died of his injuries. Paarl Rotary has conveyed its sincere condolences to Mr Gierz's family.

The race organisers also decided to call the race off due to extreme heat conditions when medics advised that cyclists faced health risks if the race continued.

Paarl Rotary had provided water stations, ice and soft drinks at regular points on the race route where it was safe for riders to pull off. Five ambulances were also deployed along the route to assist riders that required medical attention. In addition, roving vehicles with 1000 litre water tanks patrolled the route and sector marshals had water on their vehicles to assist riders at the back of the field once the race had been called off.

Paarl Rotary expresses regret to all the participants for having to call the race off, and thank cyclists for their understanding and support during and after the event.

Issued by the Rotary Club of Paarl
2 February 2022

you did not apply for sanctioning - if you did CSA officials would have advised you to 1.start earlier 2. that later starting groups ride the shorter distance. the accident might still have happened  but i bet my bottom dollar that the officials would have made you change the start and the finish to something more simpler and straight forward. 90% of your participants can't negotiate a straight road never mind a technical start and finish  

11 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

Was a technical breakaway off the back for some additional individual training.

What about the nudge 👋 I gave you up Bothmans? 🤪

Gotta love the bra that is touching my jersey pocket or hip or boom-boom to let me know he is overlapping behind me. No real space for him to move into, but okay. I have my banana sticking out in the exact same pocket. I chirp him "hey, leave my food alone... that's my EPO piesang..."

Giggle, giggle, a small moment of lightness in the front of the bunch

On 2/3/2022 at 8:36 AM, 'Dale said:

There were several A, B level performances@bleedToWinOften guys arrive late and then there are always manne returning back to the scene after the Covid gogga lockdown. My top end is decent and endurance solid and even though I got to the start somewhat fatigued, the levels at the sharp end of the bunch were solid.

We D batch regulars call them ringers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 1:50 PM, Jbr said:

Yeah I need one of those… mine kept me awake half of the night, and not the fun way

On 1/30/2022 at 10:03 PM, Skubarra said:

Condolences to the family & friends of the rider that passed away today after crashing on the final turn. Apparently he swung out for a rider that slipped in front of him and crashed into a stationary vehicle. Very sad to hear something like this.

This was my husband, and father of our 3 boys (14,7 and 1) - does anybody know who the cyclist was that fell in front of him?

5 minutes ago, Michelle_Botha said:

This was my husband, and father of our 3 boys (14,7 and 1) - does anybody know who the cyclist was that fell in front of him?

Condolences once again...

@Glen De Goede might be able to assist to who this was!?

On 1/31/2022 at 3:10 PM, Shebeen said:

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but there were surely medics on site at the finish? Did the deceased get immediate care but a delayed ambulance arrival?

remember it's payday weekend so emergency services are sometimes stretched (not an excuse, maybe a reason).

first aider's (i am calling them first aider's as they had an unmarked vehicle and were not in emergency / medic clothing) - they arrived 20 mins after his accident, a rescue vehicle a further 15mins after the first aider's and then further 40 mins for the ambulance..... negligence! and "month end" is NOT an excuse!!!  They were rude when he was telling them he couldn't breath or get sufficient oxygen in - telling him to shut up (word for word) because if he can talk he can breathe..... and absolutely no medics or ambulance at the finish line....

On 2/1/2022 at 8:39 AM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Regarding the delay in the medics getting to him... most races hire 2 x private medical teams per event, less if their budget is stretched.

I had an incident in 2008 during the Medallion event in Stellenbosch when it was raining and riders were going down left, right and centre. The medics couldn't cope with all the injuries and you just had to wait your turn. I had my front wheel taken out from under me by someone too eager to enter a pace line and went down hard just as we came into town.
After waiting for medical assistance for over 30mins, I eventually picked up my bike and walked down the road to Mediclinic and booked myself in. Diagnosis was a shattered collarbone and a couple of cracked ribs.

My point is that maybe the medics where just stretched too far and busy dealing with other incidents on the route and sadly couldn't get there in time to assist effectively.
We're quick to shout when race costs get too expensive but these are the types of things that cost a lot of money. Medical teams and vehicles aren't charity organizations.

as stated by the event organisers.... they had 5 ambulances for this specific race!!! Not a question of budgets being stretched - they have cut off dates for a reason, to determine the amount of riders - along with the length of the route, they shoul have sufficient medical support (especially 300m from the finish line where this happened)

On 2/1/2022 at 8:50 AM, MongooseMan said:

No. I'm sorry. Someone DIED.

I come from a running background, only started cycling last year, and I'm honestly shocked that this can happen and the race organisers have, to a large extent, gotten off completely free (as far as I can tell).

If this happened in a road running race, the race would probably never happen again, without significant changes and medical allowances.

If this happened in a trail running race, the organisers would never get a permit again.

I'm honestly scratching my head trying to work out why the reaction is different in cycling.

thank you for this comment, this was my husband and father of our 3 boys (14,7 &1) - there should have been sufficient medical teams around ( as the organisers mention, they had 5 ambulances on duty) and in any other race / event - no matter cycling, running etc - there is supposed to be medics at the finish line.... this was not the case for this race and i agree - they should not ever get another permit again!

On 2/1/2022 at 9:21 AM, MongooseMan said:

Fair enough, I take your points.
I see they have now posted a comment on their page (though they claim the accident was at the start of the race, not the finish?)
https://www.facebook.com/winelandscyclerace/posts/500704941403500

this is a false statement on their behalf , my husband was 300m from the finish line after riding an incredibly well paced race....

On 2/1/2022 at 9:33 AM, Armandt_R said:

I read some of the comments on the post... I can confirm that there was ample water, coke and ice provided on the 112km route. Some of the comments about warm water and 0 ice are just wrong. I was in the H-group and I rode for 5 hours and 9 minutes.  This was my first race, and it honestly wasn't that bad. Perhaps the organisers could have changed the race to 86km for everyone and given a discount for next year to the folks that paid extra for the 112km. 

Nonetheless it sucks that a fellow cyclist passed away, condolences to the family.

if you have organised an event and you have certain start times, they should be set up before the starting groups get out there. My husband was in the B group - water point ontop of Bothmans pass was not even set up, as others further into the route were not up and running either when they had passed them.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:48 AM, Shebeen said:

doesn't say much, I guess hands are tied.

MEDIA RELEASE

Cyclists dies after Winelands Cycle Race

The organiser of last Sunday's Winelands Cycle Race, the Rotary Club of Paarl, has expressed its deep regret and sadness at the death of Juan Gierz, who according to available information, attempted to avoid a fellow cyclist near the finishing line in Wellington and collided with a vehicle in a side street.

A medic was dispatched to the scene who attended to Mr Gierz, and an ambulance from the local ambulance service transported him to the nearest hospital where he subsequently died of his injuries. Paarl Rotary has conveyed its sincere condolences to Mr Gierz's family.

The race organisers also decided to call the race off due to extreme heat conditions when medics advised that cyclists faced health risks if the race continued.

Paarl Rotary had provided water stations, ice and soft drinks at regular points on the race route where it was safe for riders to pull off. Five ambulances were also deployed along the route to assist riders that required medical attention. In addition, roving vehicles with 1000 litre water tanks patrolled the route and sector marshals had water on their vehicles to assist riders at the back of the field once the race had been called off.

Paarl Rotary expresses regret to all the participants for having to call the race off, and thank cyclists for their understanding and support during and after the event.

Issued by the Rotary Club of Paarl
2 February 2022

they are going to get what is coming to them.