Cable housing cutters alternative to Parktool

Jono

Can you get away with using an electricians cable cutter, not side cutters to neatly and easily cut a cable housing? I don't need excellent quality as I'm probably only going to do a few cuts per year working on my own bikes. 

Something like this: 

image.png.e2cc24e07482c1eeef38a59a9373bccc.png

Also came across these on a fishing website?

image.png.1f08ba8bc1328f93c6c1208d1a3de7f4.png

I've had an Icetoolz pair for years. Such an under rated tool in the box, just buy one, makes things so much easier, even if you only use it a couple times a year.

The fishing one you posted is like many of the bike version. Though the hardware store version will work.

Home mechanic doesn't need a Parktool version, though I would very much like one.

Bit wild, but I use a 1914 WW1 wire cutter to cut housings and cables, and this thing cuts so cleanly every single time.

pics below is off the world wide web, but is the exact same design.

image.png.006be6776f3ca1ebf20a9398670bf5fe.png

I have a few of these (brand new) which I need to clear out so you can have one for R80 if you want it - https://www.bikehand.com/en/product-346401/Cable-Cutter-YC-768.html

The one in your opening post looks like it might be a rebranded version of it - Bikehand manufacture the products which are sold under many different brand names

Mine has been working perfectly for home use for a good few years now.

I have  the PRO cutter ... similar price range as the ParkTool.

I have done about 4 bike rebuilds with this cutter, so hardly any use.  Just would not cut the cable housings clean on the last project.

NOBODY else use my tools.  And those cutters have cut nothing else.

So I am keeping eye out when Evobikes runs a special on the ParkTool one.

Edited by ChrisF

10 minutes ago, Edge_Design said:

I have a few of these (brand new) which I need to clear out so you can have one for R80 if you want it - https://www.bikehand.com/en/product-346401/Cable-Cutter-YC-768.html

The one in your opening post looks like it might be a rebranded version of it - Bikehand manufacture the products which are sold under many different brand names

Mine has been working perfectly for home use for a good few years now.

Cool will dm you. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

I've had an Icetoolz pair for years. Such an under rated tool in the box, just buy one, makes things so much easier, even if you only use it a couple times a year.

The fishing one you posted is like many of the bike version. Though the hardware store version will work.

Home mechanic doesn't need a Parktool version, though I would very much like one.

I thought I had the icetools one, but it's yellow so could be pedros actually.

does the job for me, can't believe i used to use a sidecutter!

I also cut the dog's dew claw with it, and suprisingly they offer similiar tools

if you're looking for a crossover bargain, i'm not sure who rips off people the most, bike industry or pet inc

https://canineandco.co.za/products/m-pets-nail-clipper?currency=ZAR&variant=32857779339310&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAweaNBhDEARIsAJ5hwbfZC5wgr_lJLWGNDbt8yYoX-JIdoDRuNdm8GgTPfk6Wm8a5gUoJtaEaAmUREALw_wcB

buy-m-pets-nail-clipper-online_1400x.jpg?v=1613734742