Saffer on Zwift Academy!

Eldron

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed one of the alpecin guys comments about Sam who pumped out massive numbers but didn't use a high cadence... He called it "an abuse of power". Made me chuckle. 

Can't help but wonder about the psychological effect of all the metrics employed. I get nervous when discovery takes my blood pressure. 

Also wonder how the greats of yesteryear would have looked under such scrutiny. 

I despise reality TV shows, that fake suspense as the next person to leave the island is announced, the use of the tension between cooperation and competition for entertainment but that having been said my favourite from the series was Maude. 

On 12/21/2021 at 7:50 AM, Andymann said:

I know when I had delusions of grandeur about making the Zwift Run squad there were a bunch of things that were sponsored - the big one being a treadmill, so I'm sure they probably got to keep all the kit - doubt if the bikes would have been given away though. 

The bikes they dont keep no, the clothing yes, But just as memorabilia I guess as they are have team contracts and team kits so not like they'll be riding their kit to coffee shops haha.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, Just a came across this forum. 

Wont share to much now as i would rather answer any questions you have!

It was however an awesome experience, just to be there for me was quite an achievement not so much performance wise but more on a personal side. After a pretty dismal season in Europe i took a bit of a break after which i used the Zwift Academy as something to work towards/motivation.

The thing we had on our arms was a blood glucose motoring device(paired with supersapiens), gave some really cool insights into how we use, burn energy and are effected by diffrent foods.

With regards to what we came home with. We all received a Garmin Edge 1030plus bundle , an additional blood glucose biosensors(life span of about 14 days) and as well all the Alpecin kit( Who knows maybe some of the kit appears on the classifieds!)

Again any questions you have , feel free to ask!

7 minutes ago, Byron Munton said:

Hey Guys, Just a came across this forum. 

Wont share to much now as i would rather answer any questions you have!

It was however an awesome experience, just to be there for me was quite an achievement not so much performance wise but more on a personal side. After a pretty dismal season in Europe i took a bit of a break after which i used the Zwift Academy as something to work towards/motivation.

The thing we had on our arms was a blood glucose motoring device(paired with supersapiens), gave some really cool insights into how we use, burn energy and are effected by diffrent foods.

With regards to what we came home with. We all received a Garmin Edge 1030plus bundle , an additional blood glucose biosensors(life span of about 14 days) and as well all the Alpecin kit( Who knows maybe some of the kit appears on the classifieds!)

Again any questions you have , feel free to ask!

Made us proud!! Well done 👏. I don’t think everyone appreciates how tough it is just to make the final 5. 

I just have one question - what went wrong on Sa Colobra for you? Expected you to take the win. 

10 minutes ago, jcza said:

Made us proud!! Well done 👏. I don’t think everyone appreciates how tough it is just to make the final 5. 

I just have one question - what went wrong on Sa Colobra for you? Expected you to take the win. 

Some days a good day is just not good Enough. Needed one of those days that when you get on the bike and know you going to fly! I did try make it work where i could, steeper at the bottom where i gave it everything. 

With regards to me being able to win that Challenge, it was alway going to be a tough call. Arriving fresh to a 25/30min climb is totally different to getting there with a few hours racing(stress, decents, positioning, efficiency) behind you! 

Edited by Byron Munton

Hey, Byron 

So cool that you are available to answer some questions and interact.

Congratulations on getting thus far to compete in the challenge. Here’s hoping that it will unlock some further opportunities after showcasing your skills.

3 questions:

1. To what extent did the cameras, reality show vibe and spotlight of the GCN environment added to the stress/pressure of the challenge?

2. Why you reckon so many Aussies in the mix? Just your subjective view.

3. Based on your experience thus far, what’s your advice to junior road cyclists that want to chase a professional career?

All the best, man. May the Force be with you. 

14 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Hey, Byron 

So cool that you are available to answer some questions and interact.

Congratulations on getting thus far to compete in the challenge. Here’s hoping that it will unlock some further opportunities after showcasing your skills.

3 questions:

1. To what extent did the cameras, reality show vibe and spotlight of the GCN environment added to the stress/pressure of the challenge?

2. Why you reckon so many Aussies in the mix? Just your subjective view.

3. Based on your experience thus far, what’s your advice to junior road cyclists that want to chase a professional career?

All the best, man. May the Force be with you. 

Thanks for the Support everyone! 

1. This was something i think all the finalists where hit with quite hard. From the moment we walked in to the moment we finished. A huge proportion of the time was spent getting ready for the different "scenes". Also being able to talk on the spot and try sell yourself as best of possible really took out of us. Luckily we where all in the same boat! 

2. There are many things i can think of, main points that come to mind:

Limited races/shorter season/ in Europe most guys where busy finishing there season or already on off season. 

The grassroots development systems they have in place are ticking the right boxes. 

Limited opportunities make for riders with more motivation to take on challenges such as Zwift Academy 

3. First enjoy riding and Race your bike as much as possible. If possible find a club in Europe that will let you spend a few months racing there. From there its all up to you and how much you want it! 

I really enjoyed that! Thank you for giving us expatters some gees/pride 🙂

Did the Academy lead to anything else? Did your participation open any other doors for you going into 2022? 

38 minutes ago, Eldron said:

I really enjoyed that! Thank you for giving us expatters some gees/pride 🙂

Did the Academy lead to anything else? Did your participation open any other doors for you going into 2022? 

Can definitely take acting off my list of possible job opportunities 😅

Unfortunately for now i am without a contract. The team i had committed to informed me on the 24th of December i would be without a ride! 

Firm believer of everything happening for a reason, have some backup plans inplace but putting in a big effort to try come right somewhere. 

11 hours ago, Byron Munton said:

Unfortunately for now i am without a contract. The team i had committed to informed me on the 24th of December i would be without a ride! 

Firm believer of everything happening for a reason, have some backup plans inplace but putting in a big effort to try come right somewhere. 

Well that is a pretty *** Christmas present!

Best of luck finding a team and hopefully the exposure has put you on the radar of some teams you're keen to be on.

Well done Byron…We dont know each other, but I’m immensely proud of you, and I think everyone else on the Forum as well. 
Dont give up on any dream you have, because getting so close to that contract, meant you only needed a little more luck. It’ll come.
Chapeau 

A random question:

In one video commenting on the GCN videos (meta...) Jesse Coyle noted that it appeared that during the Zwift events during the Finals there were no fans for cooling/air flow. Was this actually the case? If so, that must have been... fun...

On 1/7/2022 at 11:01 PM, Byron Munton said:

that's not great news to hear, with TQA folding too, it's looking quiet on the international front for us.

as an armchair enthuasiast, i had a squizz at your team from 2021

squad of 16, 12 get released, 4 retained, 9 new riders in. that is cut throat business!

https://www.procyclingstats.com/team/electro-hiper-europa-2022/transfers

wish you all the best with what happens next