Not a weekend rider but not a racing snake (no disrespect to anyone)

BodmerWesley

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, _David_ said:

You defiantly don't need a DS for Berg & Bush. I'm sure you could even do it with a gravel bike if you really wanted. I have done a couple B&B over the years all on a HT.

Be defiant!

As you can see, you will receive all sorts of 1 person peer review anecdotal opinion pieces on what sort of bike one 'needs' to do what what what

I've done Freedom Challenge and pretty much every multi day event in SA and Lesotho on a rigid Single Speed. I was also near the front end of the field. 

I certainly don't recommend it but at the same time I had a hoot.

There is no correct answer. Ask your mates, check your budget and buy something you think is rad at the price point you can afford.

The end.

16 hours ago, BodmerWesley said:

so my question is, is a dual suspension bike a necessity? 

lol...  @Jewbaccasmart-arse!

But I think you missed the question he is not asking what sort of bike one 'needs' to do Freedom Challenge and pretty much every multi day event in SA and Lesotho but I think he wants to know if a HT is a necessity for the 2 day B&B 😜

Edited by _David_

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

lol...  @Jewbaccasmart-arse!

But I think you missed the question he is not asking what sort of bike one 'needs' to do Freedom Challenge and pretty much every multi day event in SA and Lesotho but I think he wants to know if a HT is a necessity for the 2 day B&B 😜

ha! Well I will defiantly tell you that it might be necessary for some and not for others........... 😝

Edited by Jewbacca
spelling

If I can give you my anecdotal opinion piece, get a bike that makes something inside you go fizz. When you get back into the house, do you open the garage door back up just to have a quick stare at it? Have you ever tapped it on the top tube and went "atta boy!"?

Having a bike that makes you want to go out and ride >>>>>> any other bike.

If you don't know what you like, go second hand and test some different bikes out. Buy smart and you won't lose money and you can figure out what that "it" bike is for you.

Whether its a shiny carbon dual susser or a steel gravel bike, buy something that makes you want to ride. You'll spend more time riding it, become better at riding it, become a stronger rider, and eventually do well and enjoy yourself more. Its more about the meatbag pedaling than it is the bike.

Edited by TyronLab

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Be defiant!

As you can see, you will receive all sorts of 1 person peer review anecdotal opinion pieces on what sort of bike one 'needs' to do what what what

I've done Freedom Challenge and pretty much every multi day event in SA and Lesotho on a rigid Single Speed. I was also near the front end of the field. 

I certainly don't recommend it but at the same time I had a hoot.

There is no correct answer. Ask your mates, check your budget and buy something you think is rad at the price point you can afford.

The end.

If you are ever in any doubt, remember that you are the outlier. But you've seem to become softer, either die to old age or parenthood, as I haven't seen you on a hardtail since you acquired a piece of property on SS5 at Ezel. 

3 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

If you are ever in any doubt, remember that you are the outlier. But you've seem to become softer, either die to old age or parenthood, as I haven't seen you on a hardtail since you acquired a piece of property on SS5 at Ezel. 

hahahaha 

That was sort of my point. Outliers will always say they do XYZ on their ridiculous bike which doesn't make it less silly.

Here is me on a suitably stupid hardtail at the blockhouse on Wednesday

20inch3.jpg

17 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahaha 

That was sort of my point. Outliers will always say they do XYZ on their ridiculous bike which doesn't make it less silly.

20inch3.jpg

Please do share that drivetrain setup and is that 240mm dropper?🤔

And share video of you dropping down plum pudding

50 minutes ago, MajG said:

Please do share that drivetrain setup and is that 240mm dropper?🤔

And share video of you dropping down plum pudding

52 tooth narrow wide with a 9 speed 11-42 cassette with 20x1.75 tubed tires at roughly 3 bar

No dropper.

It is actually 2 seatposts that I epoxied together using an insert sleeve so I could insert it all the way to the BB and eliminate having a massive stress point on the seat tube/top tube junction.

I did ride down Plumb Pudding after that, as well as the rad little section of steep off camber trail below it to the right and the stuff from Rhodes Mem down to the turn styles.

Which again proves that what is necessary for some, is not necessary for others!

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

52 tooth narrow wide with a 9 speed 11-42 cassette with 20x1.75 tubed tires at roughly 3 bar

No dropper.

It is actually 2 seatposts that I epoxied together using an insert sleeve so I could insert it all the way to the BB and eliminate having a massive stress point on the seat tube/top tube junction.

I did ride down Plumb Pudding after that, as well as the rad little section of steep off camber trail below it to the right and the stuff from Rhodes Mem down to the turn styles.

Which again proves that what is necessary for some, is not necessary for others!

Man, that's now really an insane build.

Hats off to you for rocking that bad boy n dropping it down plum 🤣🤟🏼🤟🏼🤟🏼

14 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

No dropper.

mal bike dude.

Yes you can ride pretty much any trail (proper downhill excluded) on pretty much any bike. The question is "why would you want to?"

I watch some of the guys coming down the jeep track from the blockhouse on their gravel bikes (before they graded it and turned it into a highway), and I just wonder why would you put yourself through that punishment? If they had any fillings they must have all fallen out by the time they get to the bottom.

3 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

mal bike dude.

Yes you can ride pretty much any trail (proper downhill excluded) on pretty much any bike. The question is "why would you want to?"

I watch some of the guys coming down the jeep track from the blockhouse on their gravel bikes (before they graded it and turned it into a highway), and I just wonder why would you put yourself through that punishment? If they had any fillings they must have all fallen out by the time they get to the bottom.

Why wouldn't you? 

Being comfortable all the time makes you lazy and complacent. It also gets pretty stale.

Riding the same trails on different bikes is super fun. Like riding the CTCT on dumb bikes too. How many sub3s do you need? It's also not fun riding in those bunches.

I ride bikes for fun. It's super fun having to look at trails and lines etc with a different approach and a different expectation. 

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

Why wouldn't you? 

Being comfortable all the time makes you lazy and complacent. It also gets pretty stale.

Riding the same trails on different bikes is super fun. Like riding the CTCT on dumb bikes too. How many sub3s do you need? It's also not fun riding in those bunches.

I ride bikes for fun. It's super fun having to look at trails and lines etc with a different approach and a different expectation. 

fair enough if you have the time to do a lot of riding, so you can mess around with different stuff. I get to ride once maybe twice a week so I'll stick to what I know. It gives me enough pleasure just being out there.

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Why wouldn't you? 

love your style!

16 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahaha 

20inch3.jpg

Amazing! 🤣  The chainring is almost as big as the rim.

Edited by mikkelz