Not a weekend rider but not a racing snake (no disrespect to anyone)

BodmerWesley

I used to ride a Scott Aspect 26” hardtail and had it for about 10 years, have recently sold via the site and am now looking to get something new and obviously a 29er. 
I have entered Berg & Bush, only the 2 day event and will then be riding a few times a week and entering other single stage events in the wear.
I am running fit and still train frequently in the gym, so my question is, is a dual suspension bike a necessity? 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In short no...

I have had very nice dual suspension bikes and they are great, as I was riding more and more maintenance got crazy.

Built a SWEET downcountry carbon HT. I am faster, average short ride 50km and up to 150+km. Less pain than my riding partners have with their carbon dualies and special seats and to be honest it would take a really special dual to make me even consider going back. 

PS going from a 26er to a well sorted 29er HT will feel like a dual 😂

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

No.

Many very good riders on here that do big rides on hardtails.

One even bought my full suspension, did a couple events ... sold it and went back to his hardtails.

I'm one of em

1 hour ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

In short no...

I have had very nice dual suspension bikes and they are great, as I was riding more and more maintenance got crazy.

Built a SWEET downcountry carbon HT. I am faster, average short ride 50km and up to 150+km. Less pain than my riding partners have with their carbon dualies and special seats and to be honest it would take a really special dual to make me even consider going back. 

PS going from a 26er to a well sorted 29er HT will feel like a dual 😂

LOL🤣

13 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

A steel hardtail is the way to go.

I agree fully...

I will answer your questions with a question: do you have a health problem in the form of a bad back or herniation of any kind? If the answer is no then you do not need a dual. I enjoyed my HT but unfortunately I have back issues 😔

No you don't need it.

But  going to be the counter point to every one else here. 

But a fullsus is more comfortable, faster over multi-days and more fun. 

I have a nice mid-range fullsus, and a very well specced hardtail. I didn't touch the hardtail for 6 months. Then I made it a SS, and now it gets ridden about twice a month.

Your running and gym fitness shouldn't be a factor in your bike choice. Your riding style and preferences should. 

Edited by PhilipV

I am a bit on the heavy side but

Started HT, then Dual Sus (for some long epic rides) then Gravel bike. (did the fast one 60km on it and few loooong rides) came back sold it and now on a nice HT my love for riding is back.

But word of warning. Really look at what you are gonna ride mostly.

an i am happy middle to back of pack rider

Not at all, but would depend what terrain you ride and plan on riding in the future. 

HT make you a better rider in my opinion. Should budget not be an option, you could look at the Supercaliber, has elements of a HT, but still has a little bit of suspension in the back for harder hits. 

Otherwise I second what some have said in the thread, Steel HT. 

I'm a die hard HT fan, currently ride a carbon HT. 

My take on it as a middle to back of the pack rider... get a dual suspention if you are going to ride races and stage events

My HT is difficult to control over loose marble/loose rocks/loose sand sections. The dual bikes come flying past as their suspention does the work on keeping the back wheel where it should be... tracking on the dirt whilst the pedlar on top is doing what he should be doing... pedalling. Over these specific sections the tail on my bike is bouncing all over the shop which forces me to stop working the drive train and instead control the bike to make it over the piece of section ahead. This naturally gives the dual bikes the upper hand. I do know that tyre pressure is critical to get right based on the prevailing conditions, but we dont always have this luxury of getting it right for every set of conditions. My HT is siht fast on district roads, but as soon as you throw in corrugation then the tail is all over the shop which leads to less pedalling, again. 

My previous ally frame was a softer ride than the carbon, and I'm guessing a steeler is a softer ride than an ally

Whilst I do agree that any HT has its place in the sun, I think a dual bike has more options and places to go

Edited by 117

Is a DS a necessity - no

Is it nice to have - yes

A DS is much more forgiving and comfortable than a HT and they are just as fast on most courses as most events have become more technical. Buy a HT either if your budget dictates (a decent HT is better than an entry level DS) or if you just have a particular desire to be different to the crowd (this is why everyone who rides a HT feels the need to tell you that 😋).

The last two posts have been right on the mark. Remember the saying: Horses for Courses.

Different bikes suit different courses. In KZN the Eston race is great on a HT whereas the Wartburg is better on a Dual sus.

Factors come into account like: your age, your weight, your skill level, your competitive nature, the enjoyment level you get out of racing or just competing. Also, where you are situated will have an influence on the bike type depending on where you will be riding more often. A small factor is to consider what bikes your mates have. If they have XC bikes and you have a heavier trail bike the you'll always be trying to catch up.

Deciding on which bike to purchase is THE most difficult decision if you're unsure of the direction in which you're heading. Good luck.