Should e-bikes be allowed in Cycle Tour and other Races

Ravenhash

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

so why don't you ride a normal bike then if you're only using the motor to just overcome the extra weight of the motor 🤣

lol... I was thinking the same thing 🤣

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Well that's the thing right - if you can only ride 100km using a motor then you can't actually ride 100km can you? Kinda like me saying I can swim 2km if I use a flotation device and fins.

In the real world I can actually swim about 8m before drowning...and that is only if the pool is 8m deep.

Using eBikes to get people into cycling and/or increase cycling numbers is a completely different thing and should be encouraged 100%.

But why does it matter who says they can do what?

A few years ago I was at odds with myself, discontent and thought I had a point to prove and it used to annoy me when people would say stuff like 'Just did IronMan' from East London or do the Two Oceans Half and say 'Two Oceans, Always a jol' etc....

I was always like 'how dare these people claim to have done these things! I have done the real things so they must know they didn't do the real things! Outrage, outrage!'

I have subsequently made peace with myself, had a child and realised my fragile ego is pathetic and let go of the fact that how I see events is not how others do. 

For some people running a 10km is WAY more impressive than me doing 13 peaks. Being unable to realize your default setting differs from others and judging their achievements as less than yours because 'It's not what I do' highlights a bigger issue which you seem to be missing.

We are not all equal and being supportive and encouraging of people who are proud as punch of 'menial physical achievements' is how we share the stoke, keep people doing more and keep new blood/families/mothers/granddads etc interested who will then say 'this sport is rad, let's encourage the kids' 

Creating separate catagories and whining like mewling kittens definitely doesn't share the radness.

Make peace with yourselves and you will find all that being passed by some people on pedal assisted bikes enjoying their ride is rad and not anything to be ashamed/alarmed or worried about

9 minutes ago, Jbr said:

so why don't you ride a normal bike then if you're only using the motor to just overcome the extra weight of the motor 🤣

Casue i have more fun on my ebike. Bigger tires.... 180mm suspension .. like a monster truck  .....  I can plough over dropped water bottles and gel wrappers  you racing folk love throwing all over the place. 

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts
changed the roadies to you racing folk

5 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Casue i have more fun on my ebike. Bigger tires.... 180m suspension .. like a monster truck  .....  I can plough over dropped water bottles and gel wrappers  you racing folk love throwing all over the place. 

ouch 🤣

51 minutes ago, RobbyB said:

I think that you've got the wrong end of the stick. It's just a POLL to see HOW MANY ride for the RACE or just for the FUN. (No one is being excluded!)

Ok cool. Point me to the right end of the stick - what would that POLL contribute to this discussion once we know HOW MANY ride for what reason?

6 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

when the motor is on ... the fun factor outweighs the time when its off.

If you are just riding for fun what is the problem with starting in your own batch at the back of the race? 

2 minutes ago, _David_ said:

If you are just riding for fun what is the problem with starting in your own batch at the back of the race? 

I dont have problem with that... and never said i did. (most events have ebikers at the back,) Even when we ride as a group on weekends the general rules is ebikers at the back until we get to a downhill, then the pecking order changes according to skill levels) 

The thread is about allowing ebike in the event. 

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts

Just now, Skubarra said:

Ok cool. Point me to the right end of the stick - what would that POLL contribute to this discussion once we know HOW MANY ride for what reason?

Because a LOT of hubbers are saying, in this chat, that they enter races for the Fun of it and imply that most riders in a race do the same...

I don't agree and think that most riders enter a race to see how well they have done according to their finish time. In other words - they are racing.

A Poll (where riders give there preferences to - A: Do I enter a race just for fun - not interested in my time or B: Do I enter a race to race and get a finish time) would give a numerical answer as to how many Hubbers favour A or B.

4 minutes ago, _David_ said:

I think that this is the Quote of the Day!

1 minute ago, RobbyB said:

Because a LOT of hubbers are saying, in this chat, that they enter races for the Fun of it and imply that most riders in a race do the same...

I don't agree and think that most riders enter a race to see how well they have done according to their finish time. In other words - they are racing.

A Poll (where riders give there preferences to - A: Do I enter a race just for fun - not interested in my time or B: Do I enter a race to race and get a finish time) would give a numerical answer as to how many Hubbers favour A or B.

I would posit that even many who say they enter for fun just don't want to admit that they are actually 'race-ists' and do care 😛

4 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

I dont have problem with that... and never said i did. (most events have ebikers at the back,) Even when we ride as a group on weekends the general rules is ebikers at the back until we get to a downhill, then the pecking order changes according to skill levels) 

The thread is about allowing ebike in the event. 

I don't think that many (if any) have said BAN e-bikes. They have just said  - Keep them separate from normal bikes (either in front or behind)

Just now, RobbyB said:

I don't think that many (if any) have said BAN e-bikes. They have just said  - Keep them separate from normal bikes (either in front or behind)

From the few pages that i have read, no one disagrees with that. 

all the events i have entered bikers are there own category. and start at the back.