Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

2 minutes ago, Headshot said:

This flimsy tyre issue has been a thing since way back when and yet the top riders continue to take the risk. I suspect that they test tyres and opt for the most efficient option because it is that much faster. There is no doubt the less your tread squirms and bites into the ground, the lower your rolling resistance.  They accept the risk and sometimes it just doesn't pay off....

Valid point. These okes are professionals after all, so I'm sure it would be a calculated decision. Very curious into the decision process.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Headshot said:

This flimsy tyre issue has been a thing since way back when and yet the top riders continue to take the risk. I suspect that they test tyres and opt for the most efficient option because it is that much faster. There is no doubt the less your tread squirms and bites into the ground, the lower your rolling resistance.  They accept the risk and sometimes it just doesn't pay off....

surely they know what they are doing better than we do ;)

24 minutes ago, Headshot said:

exactly, they do their numbers and roll a dice. Also the modern plug system with sealand bombs means you can fix a puncture in under a minute, sometimes less. over a 5 hour stage that is 0.3% of the time lost. optimal rolling resistance will make up that delta. 

They also call it bad luck when they get punctures, the way I see it going through a week of epic as an elite and not getting a single puncture would be seen as a poor tyre selection.

45 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I was boiling all morning, thinking I want to be there so bad ! Now I see the lead ladies about to start their 6th hour of riding..... mehhhh no thanks 🤣

Just caught the end of their 6hr+ day and got me wondering how long the average weekend warrior is going to be out there today.?

Many won't have much time to recover ...

4 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Just caught the end of their 6hr+ day and got me wondering how long the average weekend warrior is going to be out there today.?

exactly, the lead ladies are very fast compared to the average racer (not even talking average Joe)

Edited by Jbr

52 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I was boiling all morning, thinking I want to be there so bad ! Now I see the lead ladies about to start their 6th hour of riding..... mehhhh no thanks 🤣

instantly cured ! 😆

55 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

so, on a scale of 0 to Ivanka Trump, how entitled would you say they were? imagine them on a golf course...

Ivanka Trump😄

On 3/21/2022 at 12:22 PM, Danger Dassie said:

Applies to amateurs, not UCI teams afik 

After getting food poisoning from a Woolworths sandwich at the finish this dehydration thing happened to me 10 years ago… yewee it’s horrible.

The next day I stopped at at one of the first aid points early in the stage and asked the Dr if he would be so kind and to give me a quick drip….  He said sure, but then your race is over……

im definitely an amateur, luckily I started t I feel better as the day progressed without any drip, but we lost a lot of time that day.

Those Rehydrate drinks helped a lot

i can just imagine how hard it must be for a pro to race like this

Edited by SwissVan

13 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Very true, at least 10 hours, scary stuff.

44 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I'll take you back to 2005 when Tubeless was only 5 years old (no relation to Hambini although i may have..)

95% of the field was still riding tubed tyres, no sealant either. The excuse was Tubeless is heavy and slo and everyone wanted the low rolling resistance of latex tubes.

By Stage 4 there was a queue outside teh Bowman's Cycles Mechanics area for Tubeless conversions.

The then supplier of Stan's didn't have enough conversion kits in SA. Tubed tyres started their moonwalk out of the back door.

The following year it was a braking reality and the V-brake finally died.

Now obsession with light weight tyres at low low pressures is the next dogma #thatmustffall

26 minutes ago, Thomo said:

they lost just under 5% of the teams yesterday. I think there be another 5% gone by 18h00 (cut off).

Judging by the mount of teams that were not even half way by 13h00 there's going to be some broken hearts tonight

16 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

they lost just under 5% of the teams yesterday. I think there be another 5% gone by 18h00 (cut off).

Judging by the mount of teams that were not even half way by 13h00 there's going to be some broken hearts tonight

Very true D, allot of money to pay and to only do 2 stages if you lucky. Some teams will take 12 hours. It seems you really have to be ultra fit and in top form to attempt this.