[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

SuzieK

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Sibulele said:

Any updates on the delicacies that will be available at the feed zones?

There will be 3 feed zones on the route.  The first one will be as you leave Piketberg on the left hand side of the road outside Q-Koel – a distance of 65km from the start.

The second feed zone will be at Redelinghuys, 126km into the race.  Cyclists will need to turn into Redelinghuys from the race route to access this feed zone.  We would encourage family and supporters to join in the fun at this point.  City Cycling Club are hosting the feedzone and will have snack packs available for the riders.

The final feed zone will be at SaamStaan, on the way back to Velddrif.  This zone is 188km into the race, 35km from the finish, and probably a necessary stop for a lot of people.

That's from the updated website.
Not sure if it implies the first and third stations will only have coke and water...

26 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

There will be 3 feed zones on the route.  The first one will be as you leave Piketberg on the left hand side of the road outside Q-Koel – a distance of 65km from the start.

The second feed zone will be at Redelinghuys, 126km into the race.  Cyclists will need to turn into Redelinghuys from the race route to access this feed zone.  We would encourage family and supporters to join in the fun at this point.  City Cycling Club are hosting the feedzone and will have snack packs available for the riders.

The final feed zone will be at SaamStaan, on the way back to Velddrif.  This zone is 188km into the race, 35km from the finish, and probably a necessary stop for a lot of people.

That's from the updated website.
Not sure if it implies the first and third stations will only have coke and water...

So as self appointed groupetto boss I will be skipping the first stop but definitely stopping at the 123km stop for a refuel of my hammer perpetuem bottle and my water bottle and grab whatever other calories are available there and another water top up at the last one if necessary

50 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I think I would like to start in a faster bunch and then, as is always the case, get dropped on the first serious hill and then form a group of stragglers looking to average 28-30kmph.

How many of the 100 souls brave and true might be looking for a similar bunch? (I'd call it a groupetto but that would imply I can sprint ... which I can't

the only bump of note is about  10km before Piketberg and that's ~200m in 5km-ish, but it comes in the form of heavy rollers (in cricketing terms). If you can hold on, there's ample recovery from the top and heading through Piketberg. And there's an annoying lump heading out of Elands

Before Piketberg - https://www.strava.com/segments/6422844

out of Elands - https://www.strava.com/segments/946033

4 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

... but if there's wind... there is a reason there are wind farms here

too true, its like Holland in that regard. The section from Piketberg to Redlingshuys looks like it will be murder on the dance floor

9 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

... but if there's wind... there is a reason there are wind farms here

I'm still not sure if I prefer a SE or for it to come from the north. If its coming from the north that might be approx 100km riding into a head wind. If its a SE then we might be looking at approx 70km of riding into a head wind for the finish. 

But there is no turning back now. 

Edited by Sibulele

30 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

too true, its like Holland in that regard. The section from Piketberg to Redlingshuys looks like it will be murder on the dance floor

and like Holland you can ride an hour here and climb 20m...

learned the hard way (it took several times) - do half my intervals going one way with the aim of completing the other half going back... only to realise there was a tailwind going out, making the return route long and unpleasant

30 minutes ago, Sibulele said:

I'm still not sure if I prefer a SE or for it to come from the north. If its coming from the north that might be approx 100km riding into a head wind. If its a SE then we might be looking at approx 70km of riding into a head wind for the finish. 

But there is no turning back now. 

roads here are long, flat and (mostly) straight, so there's little respite - if it's windy, count on some assistance in one direction at least. 

then again, if there's no wind, prepare to pedal 100% of the time. after months living here, i've lost lots of coasting recovery time and lots of climbing metres

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

And there's an annoying lump heading out of Elands

2.5km at 5.3% would normally be called a lump, but with 100 miles in the legs it might be more than just a tad annoying... 😆

19 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

2.5km at 5.3% would normally be called a lump, but with 100 miles in the legs it might be more than just a tad annoying... 😆

After 360one,… tis  but a lump

Ok, I'm entered, so that's 101 and counting.

Slow group, assemble!

I'm going to leave Muizenberg at sparrows and come home straight after I've finished and eaten something on Sunday if anyone wants a lift. 

Hit me up

Edited by Jewbacca

4 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Enough to do some damage me thinks 🤪