[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

SuzieK

my issue is not the dark, it is the 10+ hours in a saddle which in my world equates to "seer boude..."

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

according to Meteorologists, the estimated sunrise on the 26th June will be at 7:50am & Sunset 5:50pm, will you be adjusting the start time or make lights compulsory? 

it'll be light enough before then, but be sure to have a rear light I would say. at that time of day, it's a lonely-old road out to Piketberg but there's an ample emergency lane,  but do't make like a local and ride facing oncoming traffic. that still baffles me.

Once out of Piketberg, expect to see very little traffic, but what you will see will be a fair bit narrower.

I described the road into Piketberg as 'rollers'. It isn't. What is it is awful, but that once you're through it, the worst is over.

From Elands back to Velddrif, it's as flat as anything - there's a reason the Sishen railway goes through there. And the roadworks are over and the surface is as good-a chipseal you'll find anywhere. But if the weather gods decide it's a SE-er day, 60km of 0.05% will feel like a 60km of 6% HC, which we all find such fun

7 minutes ago, MORNE said:

well lets see, my finger slipped and I entered. 

Rad... I might get permission and join you

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

Rad... I might get permission and join you

will it be ready?

or are you riding another steed?

PS, i haven't even asked yet...but it's usually ok if i swing it as a 'weekend away/ airbnb kind thing haha. Wife wont be keen to ride 200km herself. Well i don't think so at least...

• 3 weeks later...

thank you for sharing the details, much appreciated.  Do we have any idea how many people have entered?

11 hours ago, MORNE said:

still think 8am is too late for us non racing snakes. At LEAST 7am

But "illustration purposes" noted.

Considering everything that has to happen on such a morning I think starting at or around sunrise (in this case 8min after sunrise) makes sense...

7 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Considering everything that has to happen on such a morning I think starting at or around sunrise (in this case 8min after sunrise) makes sense...

It wont be pitch black at 7am. Also, if its a case of keaving cape town at 3am to get there, thats a diffeent problem for ppl who intend to do that. It will be dark, but not night tine dark, pre dawn. You might not mind but that hour could make all the difference at the back lol. I have zero issues spending 10h + in the saddle, i just want to finish if im going to make the effort to book accommodation and drag my family with me.

Edit: anyway, id also like to know the number of entries because if it’s only going to be a group of 20-30 racing snakes they can have my R222 for waterpoint jellies - for the marshals lol. 

id like to do it though

Edited by MORNE

Civil twilight at 7:24, so it's something for them to consider I guess.

I'll be starting later and riding shorter, so not actually one for me to get involved in as it wont affect me. 😄

1 minute ago, bleedToWin said:

Civil twilight at 7:24, so it's something for them to consider I guess.

I'll be starting later and riding shorter, so not actually one for me to get involved in as it wont affect me. 😄

‘ say elite without saying elite’ - haha

but yes. It wont affect you.