[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

SuzieK

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a new rider, I entered this event and will be my longest ride yet. I have questions regarding things like will there be water stops next to the road, if so how many and where? Also, with a ride like this, what kind of spares do you take with you? Same as per your normal club ride or do you pack lighter?

5 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

As a new rider, I entered this event and will be my longest ride yet. I have questions regarding things like will there be water stops next to the road, if so how many and where? Also, with a ride like this, what kind of spares do you take with you? Same as per your normal club ride or do you pack lighter?

There will be water stations. Depends on the organiser what there will be at those stations. Usually water and coke. Probably 4 of them I would think.. Carry enough nutrition for your anticipated time plus a little bit.

I carry 2 tubes. 3 bombs and the inflator thingy, tyre levers, a small multitool with a chain breaker. A quick link. I'm a mid pack rider. Racing guys will probably carry less.

Im also riding it. Looking forward.

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

There will be water stations. Depends on the organiser what there will be at those stations. Usually water and coke. Probably 4 of them I would think.. Carry enough nutrition for your anticipated time plus a little bit.

I carry 2 tubes. 3 bombs and the inflator thingy, tyre levers, a small multitool with a chain breaker. A quick link. I'm a mid pack rider. Racing guys will probably carry less.

Im also riding it. Looking forward.

If you are carrying that I would consider taking a patch or two and some glue and sandpaper with too, then at least you are sorted worst case scenario. 

2 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

If you are carrying that I would consider taking a patch or two and some glue and sandpaper with too, then at least you are sorted worst case scenario. 

Fair point. Nothing worse than being on the side of the road with nothing to be done to get oneself mobile again!

Thinking about it…

would also be my first 200km ride. My worry is just the late ish start and possibly cruising for 8-10h (20-25kph). The route doesn't look that hard imo. But It gets dark pretty quick that time of the year?

or was this never intended for peasants?

15 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Thinking about it…

would also be my first 200km ride. My worry is just the late ish start and possibly cruising for 8-10h (20-25kph). The route doesn't look that hard imo. But It gets dark pretty quick that time of the year?

if the wind blows, it will not be easy... well, it won't be easy in one direction... fro the other direction, remember your sail for those added watts

Edited by lechatnoir

3 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

if the wind blows, it will not be easy... well, it won't be easy in one direction... fro the other direction, remember your sail for those added watts

From a native of those lands - 

There's only one climb - How hard can it be? It's not South Easter season - we'll all be fine

13 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Thinking about it…

Looks like first bunches (slower riders) might head off before sunrise, giving you more than 10 hours before sunset.

8 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

i am the sail...haha

On 4/11/2022 at 6:59 PM, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

if the first bunch starts at 7.00am (this is just in proposal form at the moment) a 25kph rider should finish by 3.00pm

according to Meteorologists, the estimated sunrise on the 26th June will be at 7:50am & Sunset 5:50pm, will you be adjusting the start time or make lights compulsory? 

i have no issue starting in the dark with lights though...since you'll be surrounded by plenty of other people all amped and alert. Obviously it's a totally different story at the end...

thats my only worry. not really the distance. I can average 30-35 on a 100km ride..in a group, but defo wont be able to sustain that for 200+, on my own haha.

Edited by MORNE