[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

SuzieK

yass, not a good day to not be a racing snake... I realise the A bunch should be averaging probably 42kph it's already more than 5 hours. I feel for those who plan on being out there for more than 7 hours. I love cycling, but my threshold is usually around that 4/5 hour mark, after that I start not liking it so much, especially at race pace 🤣

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Jbr said:

yass, not a good day to not be a racing snake... I realise the A bunch should be averaging probably 42kph it's already more than 5 hours. I feel for those who plan on being out there for more than 7 hours. I love cycling, but my threshold is usually around that 4/5 hour mark, after that I start not liking it so much, especially at race pace 🤣

thats because of all this ‘racing fit’ ie 2 sizes too small nonsense haha.  
Its about the adventure. Not everything is about competitive cycling lol. I like events like these because i cant do them on my own.

I would never do that route solo on a day when there aren't other people around. One could i guess but im over taking those kind of risks unfortunately.

edit: also, im not completely useless, but im aware of the fact that there most probably than not wont be any group riding where i’ll likely start/end. 

lets see. 

Edited by MORNE

4 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Not everything is about competitive cycling lol.

The beauty of cycling is that all levels can co-exist and even be complimentary to each other.

6 minutes ago, MORNE said:

but im aware of the fact that there most probably than not wont be any group riding where i’ll likely start/end. 

You still have time to study before this test... 😉

Hopefully the event will get semi decent numbers. Could be a ton of fun, and it is important for everyone to have a good time if we want this to become an established yearly event.

22 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

You still have time to study before this test... 😉

as i said..im not completely useless and am familiar with group riding etiquette haha. You'll be pleased to know I even train on rollers....so i know how to hold a line, and im also not ALWAYS a wheel sucker 😅

As i mentioned earlier in this thread though...Ive never done a 200km ride and this route looks relatively fine for a first go at it. I can keep up midpack around 25-30kph just fine over 100-130km...on a gravel bike. But obviously 200km + is a different story. I'm under no illusion that the last 80km or so will be slower than what im used to. 

10 minutes ago, MORNE said:

as i said..im not completely useless and am familiar with group riding etiquette haha. You'll be pleased to know I even train on rollers....so i know how to hold a line, and im also not ALWAYS a wheel sucker 😅

As i mentioned earlier in this thread though...Ive never done a 200km ride and this route looks relatively fine for a first go at it. I can keep up midpack around 25-30kph just fine over 100-130km...on a gravel bike. But obviously 200km + is a different story. I'm under no illusion that the last 80km or so will be slower than what im used to. 

everyone will be in the same boat, paddling furiously.

3 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

everyone will be in the same boat, paddling furiously.

but the amount holes and of water inside the boat might be different up and down the field😅

The start time is ok I think. For those driving up out of CT in the morning it’s a2hr trip . I may just take that option. 

would have preferred an enforced stop at Redelingshys just to make sure we don’t have smaller groups splintering all over the road but I guess the first step is to get the event under the belt 

32 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Morne, you and me both.... I have never even done something as remotely close to this distance (longest is about 110km).  I am also concerned with the 200km but think I am more concerned about the 22km that is still to come after that.... 😉 

It will be my first time doing anything more than 200km, I am excited and anxious at the same time. I have done 168km on my own averaging 27km/h with 1200m of elevation so with people around this should be doable. 

My biggest concern though is nutrition because I won't have the luxury of a support car. 

Apart from that it should be fun and all the best to those who have entered. 

Edited by Sibulele

Just now, Sibulele said:

It will be my first time doing anything more than 200km, I am excited and anxious at the same time. I have done 168km on my own averaging 27km/h with 12000m of elevation so with people around this should be doable. 

My biggest concern though is nutrition biggest I won't have the luxury of a support car. 

Either than that it should be fun and all the best to those who have entered. 

12000m is a lot of elevation in one ride !

14 minutes ago, Sibulele said:

It will be my first time doing anything more than 200km, I am excited and anxious at the same time. I have done 168km on my own averaging 27km/h with 1200m of elevation so with people around this should be doable. 

My biggest concern though is nutrition because I won't have the luxury of a support car. 

Apart from that it should be fun and all the best to those who have entered. 

21 minutes ago, Denis Dell said:

Morne, you and me both.... I have never even done something as remotely close to this distance (longest is about 110km).  I am also concerned with the 200km but think I am more concerned about the 22km that is still to come after that.... 😉 

Do they have uber eats in piketberg or veldrift? Haha. We can stop at Argus point(halfway) and order pizza and beer. 

…or would the uber driver need to register as a team manager👀 

somebody mentioned the potential to start earlier, the other benefit of starting a bit earlier (especially for us slower riders) is that it should be cooler in the morning.  It is winter, so not sure how much of a problem that will be but baking out in the sun for 9 hours+ is going to be another interesting adventure.

quick question, I see there are three watering points.  Where is the Saamstaan one?  Could not find that on any map?

7 minutes ago, Denis Dell said:

quick question, I see there are three watering points.  Where is the Saamstaan one?  Could not find that on any map?

That 90d corner on 188km.