[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

SuzieK

18 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

the only bump of note is about  10km before Piketberg and that's ~200m in 5km-ish, but it comes in the form of heavy rollers (in cricketing terms). If you can hold on, there's ample recovery from the top and heading through Piketberg. And there's an annoying lump heading out of Elands

Before Piketberg - https://www.strava.com/segments/6422844

out of Elands - https://www.strava.com/segments/946033

That hill outside Elands can be a brute if the wind is blowing, which it often is. Ive cycled over there a few times.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image.png.476d6e635013c52e4d0821184811128a.png
 Headwind (gentle) all the way if you're in the groupetto. Cold start, but otherwise predictions look good.

12 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I am very interested to see how it unfolds tactically. 

Like a normal race except where the normal race would end we will only be half way...

Let's hope not!

14 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I am very interested to see how it unfolds tactically. 

Did Four Passes yesterday. Shuddered to imagine doing an additional 90km at intensity. Hoping for periods of peaceful riding. 😆

9 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Did Four Passes yesterday. Shuddered to imagine doing an additional 90km at intensity. Hoping for periods of peaceful riding. 😆

Piece of cake… like Transbaviaans on tar!!! And not even close to same amount of climbing 🤪

I'm going to have to be careful not to try keep up with all the fast guys starting after me. 

I often try talk some sense into the people around me on the start line. "Let's all be reasonable" I say "we start slowly, steady efforts up the hills", "we're all in this together". 

No one listens.

6 hours ago, Mamil said:

I'm going to have to be careful not to try keep up with all the fast guys starting after me. 

I often try talk some sense into the people around me on the start line. "Let's all be reasonable" I say "we start slowly, steady efforts up the hills", "we're all in this together". 

No one listens.

Judging by the profile, I don't think it would be the worst decision ever to try sit in as faster groups catch, I definitely would not try work though. Otherwise it could be a super long day out. 

3 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Judging by the profile, I don't think it would be the worst decision ever to try sit in as faster groups catch, I definitely would not try work though. Otherwise it could be a super long day out. 

Sounds like a plan, gonna wait for a faster group and not work 👌

So what are everybody's target times to finish this event?  Also, I seem to recall there will be a "sweeper" vehicle, I assume that if you fall behind that, you are kind of screwed?  What is the expected time for that vehicle to finish at?