DSTV vs Streaming to watch cycling

Tri-till-you-die

40 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Is there a way to change the commentary to English? Or is SBS the way to go if your flemish is a bit rusty?

No, and yes.

My Flemish is getting better with every race. “U hoeft niks te missen van deze eerste etappe”.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

No, and yes.

My Flemish is getting better with every race. “U hoeft niks te missen van deze eerste etappe”.

SBS buffering like mad on my side.  I have a 100mb line. 🤦

18 hours ago, Tri-till-you-die said:

SBS buffering like mad on my side.  I have a 100mb line. 🤦

The Sporza feed has worked, and still works, fine.

Edited by Frosty
the grammar nazi contacted me

Question regarding DSTV; i watch it around the house on an iPad, mostly on WiFi,

however, when watching in my garage - detached from my house and half below ground, since the WiFi signal is weak due to distance, I SWITCH to data/4G, and whist I get 3 out of 4 ‘bars’ when using 4G, (seemingly 75% signal strength) I battle to watch TdF in the garage whilst tinkering in there, buffering, etc….

is this possibly an unseen ‘degradation’ of the 4G intermittently, unseen by me, THEN causing buffering, or what else might i try?

thanks

Chris

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

Question regarding DSTV; i watch it around the house on an iPad, mostly on WiFi,

however, when watching in my garage - detached from my house and half below ground, since the WiFi signal is weak due to distance, I SWITCH to data/4G, and whist I get 3 out of 4 ‘bars’ when using 4G, (seemingly 75% signal strength) I battle to watch TdF in the garage whilst tinkering in there, buffering, etc….

is this possibly an unseen ‘degradation’ of the 4G intermittently, unseen by me, THEN causing buffering, or what else might i try?

thanks

Chris

I'm not sure, but I do know that the DStv stream buffers a lot, which is not even through a VPN, and about 30cm from the router. Not sure if it's a hardware issue (MiBox), as a phone works fine. My in-laws have DStv, and their three daughters share the stream service to watch KykNet. Problem is that only one stream is allowed at a time, which is why I hardly ever bother to use their service. 

For sites I access with a VPN, SBS excluded, there is hardly ever any buffering (on a fibre line or a 4G/5G home internet line that is >=20-Mbps. GCN+ was on the MiBox, and had poor-quality (480p occassionally) otherwise my laptops (Windows and Mac) work flawlessly in 1080p resolution.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I'm not sure, but I do know that the DStv stream buffers a lot, which is not even through a VPN, and about 30cm from the router. Not sure if it's a hardware issue (MiBox), as a phone works fine. My in-laws have DStv, and their three daughters share the stream service to watch KykNet. Problem is that only one stream is allowed at a time, which is why I hardly ever bother to use their service. 

For sites I access with a VPN, SBS excluded, there is hardly ever any buffering (on a fibre line or a 4G/5G home internet line that is >=20-Mbps. GCN+ was on the MiBox, and had poor-quality (480p occassionally) otherwise my laptops (Windows and Mac) work flawlessly in 1080p resolution.

A streaming package has 2 available streams. If you want to use a MiBox you need to clear the cache all the time. It's better on a laptop with better processing power.

Or change the quality setting so it isn't trying to stream in HD all the time. A MiBox isn't strong enough for that

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

A streaming package has 2 available streams. If you want to use a MiBox you need to clear the cache all the time. It's better on a laptop with better processing power.

Or change the quality setting so it isn't trying to stream in HD all the time. A MiBox isn't strong enough for that

So essentially I need to get rid of the Android devices (MiBox and Google Nest) and replace with Apple TV and speaker?

Jokes aside; I bought the MiBox as a low cost entry into the streaming world, and it’s been working okay for me for >6 years. Guess I don’t know what I don’t know, and would be better off with a better tv box. I should mention that my tv is a 32” LG from 2008 😊

34 minutes ago, Frosty said:

So essentially I need to get rid of the Android devices (MiBox and Google Nest) and replace with Apple TV and speaker?

Jokes aside; I bought the MiBox as a low cost entry into the streaming world, and it’s been working okay for me for >6 years. Guess I don’t know what I don’t know, and would be better off with a better tv box. I should mention that my tv is a 32” LG from 2008 😊

For sure, but the TV is just a screen. The MiBox has pretty basic processing hardware and DSTV isn't designed well.

So Netflix et al are specifically designed for streaming, devices etc with limited hardware, DSTV hasn't made a well designed platform so it smashed cache , bus memory and the auto setting is full HD 'when possible' which it always tries to achieve.

It isn't efficient, which is why it puts strain on the MiBox

Just watch DSTV on a laptop when watching live TV/sport.

The platform stuff is all fine, but the live TV is where the strain comes in

Just trying to help, use it, don't use it

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Just trying to help, use it, don't use it

Thanks; I don’t use DStv but the explanation is useful.