Driver fined £1000 for passing cyclist who fell over

OVERDRIVE

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

indeed it has to be a group effort. Everyone has to play a part and those with the biggest impact have to play a bigger role.

Its all very simple really. Respect peoples space. Think safety bubble. In a car you have a steel cage as the safety bubble. Asa driver think about the cyclist or runners safety bubble.

When driving in a busy area drive slowly. Give yourself space and time to assess and react. Instead we try and drive 70 in a 60 zone. In Europe they reduced the speed limit in residential areas to 30. Drive 40 and you're in deep doodoo. Here it's another form of tax collection.

I use hand signals when on the bike. Most motorists either don't understand them or simply could'nt give a hoot. A few of my elderly neighbours believe cyclists are breaking the law by being on the roads without a license disc on the bike. Therefore "if I crush one, I don't care because its their fault.." 

Laws are not there for people with good sensibilities and morals but for those who don't

A tip I picked up from @lechatnoirusing the garmin radar when in less dense traffic. When the radar picks up approaching vehicle put hand out. I make it an emphatic gesture pointing downward. Most people slow down and give more room. It does work.

I'm with @DieselnDuston this one. More must be done in terms of publicity campaigns, law enforcement and awareness for the public who drive cars. Emphasis must fall on that class of road users regardless whether they ride bikes or not.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I'm with @DieselnDuston this one. More must be done in terms of publicity campaigns, law enforcement and awareness for the public who drive cars. Emphasis must fall on that class of road users regardless whether they ride bikes or not.

yeah I'm not sure to many motorists know the effect driving to close to a cyclist has on the cyclist.

But as with the seatbelt and littering campaigns from the 80s and 90s we are unlikely to see anything anytime soon

3 minutes ago, ouzo said:

yeah I'm not sure to many motorists know the effect driving to close to a cyclist has on the cyclist.

But as with the seatbelt and littering campaigns from the 80s and 90s we are unlikely to see anything anytime soon

I think that's true. The cars increasingly isolate the driver from their environment. A little flex of the big toe and you're at 90kmph with no effort, often in relative silence . Airbags, crumple zones ..... On the outside of the bubble though it's carbon emissions, destruction and danger. Bizarre little hairless primates we are. Running around like we own the place.

58 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

indeed it has to be a group effort. Everyone has to play a part and those with the biggest impact have to play a bigger role.

Its all very simple really. Respect peoples space. Think safety bubble. In a car you have a steel cage as the safety bubble. Asa driver think about the cyclist or runners safety bubble.

When driving in a busy area drive slowly. Give yourself space and time to assess and react. Instead we try and drive 70 in a 60 zone. In Europe they reduced the speed limit in residential areas to 30. Drive 40 and you're in deep doodoo. Here it's another form of tax collection.

I use hand signals when on the bike. Most motorists either don't understand them or simply could'nt give a hoot. A few of my elderly neighbours believe cyclists are breaking the law by being on the roads without a license disc on the bike. Therefore "if I crush one, I don't care because its their fault.." 

Laws are not there for people with good sensibilities and morals but for those who don't

Pushing the limits/getting ahead/gaining an advantage has always been a South African thing - and it is fine....as long as it doesn't come at the expense of someone else.

Safety is a great example. There is no (rational) justification or motivation to jump red lights but we do. There is no rational justification/motivatrion for speeding, rolling stop streets, overtaking dangerously etc but we do...at the risk of harming/killing someone else.

Laws won't stop that - seeing each other as humans instead of stereotypes will stop that (as another poster said earlier).

Gabbing on about how you'd kill "a cyclist" is easy because it is abstract. Not so easy when you brag about how you'd kill a husband/wife/uncle/brother etc.

38 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I think that's true. The cars increasingly isolate the driver from their environment. A little flex of the big toe and you're at 90kmph with no effort, often in relative silence . Airbags, crumple zones ..... On the outside of the bubble though it's carbon emissions, destruction and danger. Bizarre little hairless primates we are. Running around like we own the place.

100% - placing a huge spike on the steering wheel facing the driver would reduce road accidents dramatically I reckon.

50 minutes ago, Eldron said:

100% - placing a huge spike on the steering wheel facing the driver would reduce road accidents dramatically I reckon.

Ha ha ... Genius... In the interests of road safety make the cars more dangerous to the ones who drive them. I love this idea. Drive properly or you're a kebab.

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Ha ha ... Genius... In the interests of road safety make the cars more dangerous to the ones who drive them. I love this idea. Drive properly or you're a kebab.

cars that give me a frontal labotomy if I have a bottle in front of me

Looking at the original video. It looks like the camera was mounted on the helmet of a cyclist following "clipped in Karen". From the camera angle the photographer  was riding outside of the line of those in front and must have been MUCH closer to the Landy.

Maybe it was the photographer yelling in the clip - that brave soul's cycling shorts likely needed laundering afterwards.

The whole point is, until there are no more articles like this or there start to be articles like this about cyclists all road safety campaigns and policing should be 100% on drivers and zero on cyclists and pedestrians. 

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/three-killed-horrific-accident-parktown-johannesburg-breaking/

6 people dead in 2 days. Show me a cyclist doing that. There were 5 innocent lives there gone. But yes, lets moan on and on about cyclists rolling through a red light with nobody around or riding 2 abreast. That will stop the blood shed on the roads.

Wait, maybe if cyclists obeyed every traffic law, even when nobody is around drivers will stop killing people every day in retaliation. 

I had a Merc pass me within a meter going down southern cross while I was at 60kmh today, at the blind corner before the steepest section. Glad I had my varia beeping at me... I went hunting for him to pour cadence on his lap if he was at the traffic light and willing to open his window!

12 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I had a Merc pass me within a meter going down southern cross while I was at 60kmh today, at the blind corner before the steepest section. Glad I had my varia beeping at me... I went hunting for him to pour cadence on his lap if he was at the traffic light and willing to open his window!

this type of driver behaviour is on the rise. More okes thinking they own your space

all this 'them' and 'us' isn't helping anyone either...

You are 'them' 90% of the time though...unless you don't own a car or don't drive. 'They' maybe don't care about cycling? Just like maybe 'you' don't care about veganism, religion, birdwatching or huisegnoot. 'You' have more in common with 'them' than you think lol. 

- “We will never know peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye”...

13170221.jpg

anyway...this has become one of those threads again. ill pop in again on Friday to  observe the fanny wobbles and meltdowns from a distance 😇 

Edited by MORNE

11 minutes ago, MORNE said:

all this 'them' and 'us' isn't helping anyone either...

You are 'them' 90% of the time though...unless you don't own a car or don't drive. 'They' maybe don't care about cycling? Just like maybe 'you' don't care about veganism, religion, birdwatching or huisegnoot. 'You' have more in common with 'them' than you think lol. 

- “We will never know peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye”...

13170221.jpg

anyway...this has become one of those threads again. ill pop in again on Friday to  observe the fanny wobbles and meltdowns from a distance 😇 

Yep. Don't own a car. And @Pure Savage will tell you I car about veganism 🤣

Edited by Sid the Sloth
additions

them be cyclists too....#semanet

them be those inconsiderate types who turn left in front of you with full bike rack and "Stay wider " sticker on the rear bumpers

them be those tjops who drive/cycle through pedestrian crossings (red light) when children or little old ladies are trying to cross

them be the #donkeyholes