Bicycle MacGyver fixes

LBKloppers

Guys and gals

My tools are in transit from Tanzania and it will not be here until whenever. I still ride my bike daily and as such my drivetrain has deteriorated to the point where I am afraid to go out further than is comfortable to walk/push. I did purchase the new components, but I do not wish to buy duplicates of the tools that is on the way.

My primary difficulty is to change my sprocket. Does anyone know of a way for me to take off the old and to replace and secure the new sprocket without buying new tools.

20 minutes ago, LBKloppers said:

Guys and gals

My tools are in transit from Tanzania and it will not be here until whenever. I still ride my bike daily and as such my drivetrain has deteriorated to the point where I am afraid to go out further than is comfortable to walk/push. I did purchase the new components, but I do not wish to buy duplicates of the tools that is on the way.

My primary difficulty is to change my sprocket. Does anyone know of a way for me to take off the old and to replace and secure the new sprocket without buying new tools.

Rather just look for second hand tools here on the Classifieds. 

You will definitely need a lockring tool or a lockring socket to get it off. You can work around the chain whip by standing your wheel on the pedal (with bike upside down), and then looping your chain up from the chainring and over the sprocket - will lock it out so that you can loosen the lockring. 

Edited by 100Tours

27 minutes ago, 117 said:

STeady spin is closer to you then, I'm on the other side of the boerewors curtain from you

I knew there was/is a boerewors curtain in Cape Town, but I never knew there was one here too. Draw the line please?

14 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

You will definitely need a lockring tool or a lockring socket to get it off. You can work around the chain whip by standing your wheel on the pedal (with bike upside down), and then looping your chain up from the chainring and over the sprocket - will lock it out so that you can loosen the lockring. 

Thanks man. I have never worried about the chainwhip bit. I simply jam a screwdriver through the cassette and the spokes for the necessary lock. I know its not good for the spokes, but I have much bigger issues to worry about in the past. I just wish my tools were here already. Its been almost a year now.

11 minutes ago, 117 said:

Directly through the middle of Fourways, bruu 🤣

I'd argue that it's inline with the Sanral building on the side of the N1, dividing whatever that part of Midrand is from Centurion.

2 hours ago, LBKloppers said:

I knew there was/is a boerewors curtain in Cape Town, but I never knew there was one here too. Draw the line please?

It runs East-West through where the N1 crosses the Jukskei a bit south of Midrand.

If there is no local Hubber to help out, find a local bike shop, I'm sure for a couple rands they will sort you out. Cheaper then the damage you going to cause hacking a repair

5 hours ago, LBKloppers said:

Thanks man. I have never worried about the chainwhip bit. I simply jam a screwdriver through the cassette and the spokes for the necessary lock. I know its not good for the spokes, but I have much bigger issues to worry about in the past. I just wish my tools were here already. Its been almost a year now.

In transit from TZN for a year? Id go ahead and buy yourself some new tools ...