Nutrition for long rides

Op1

6 hours ago, Koos Likkewaan said:

What do you do on 6-7 hr rides when using race pro ?

I am keen on trying this, but only have 1 bottle available. How may scoops can you force into a 750ml bottle before it becomes to thick ?

I’ve gone 12-14 in a bottle, more if I use a 950 bottle, then would take extra 32GI hydrate tablets to add to water along the way. I would also certainly eat some far bars, the more fruity long distance one, and generally if we stop at broodblik or Bronkies would stop at a cafe to eat some solid food as I agree the racepro could get tiring, but it works! Don’t think it means you can’t eat other things if you are using the racepro.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely reading the comments and different opinions .

I’ve been cycling for about 22yrs with intermittent races nothing serious .

For 20yrs I’ve cycled and fuel myself with carbs and never could get it totally 💯 %right .

Sometimes your sugar levels were up sometimes you bonked. Tried bars, gels gu’s and you name it . It all cost money and personally to much effort in trying to get it right .

For the past 2years I’m a Keto cyclist and this is the most amazing thing I’ve ever discovered. My energy levels are on another high . I cycle with no bars , food just a 750ml hydration drink between 80-100km. Average speed between 25-30km. This is not even racing . 

Lingest ride I did in a Keto state was 175km . 2 water bottles and a coffee.

I used to struggle to loose weight. I was 90kg for 175cm  and now my weight rocks between 80kg-82kg .

Its been consistent than I’ve ever had it.

Im competitive if the challenge arise and intermittent dashes always arise on a ride amongst friends .

if I stop for a coffee , I’d grab a bullet coffee , water or a sugar free coke .

My main diet even allows me a certain amount of carbs and I’m able to know easily get back into Keto if I fall out .

this is called metabolic flexibility once you get to understand your body on a deeper level .

it takes me 16hrs with IF (Intermittent fasting) to do this . So now and then if you crave a burger , why not .

I reckon if you keep doing what you always done  you will keep getting what you always got .

Be brave and try something different , you might be amazed .

- Ketojedijoe 

Edited by Joe

9 hours ago, Joe said:

Lovely reading the comments and different opinions .

I’ve been cycling for about 22yrs with intermittent races nothing serious .

For 20yrs I’ve cycled and fuel myself with carbs and never could get it totally 💯 %right .

Sometimes your sugar levels were up sometimes you bonked. Tried bars, gels gu’s and you name it . It all cost money and personally to much effort in trying to get it right .

For the past 2years I’m a Keto cyclist and this is the most amazing thing I’ve ever discovered. My energy levels are on another high . I cycle with no bars , food just a 750ml hydration drink between 80-100km. Average speed between 25-30km. This is not even racing . 

Lingest ride I did in a Keto state was 175km . 2 water bottles and a coffee.

I used to struggle to loose weight. I was 90kg for 175cm  and now my weight rocks between 80kg-82kg .

Its been consistent than I’ve ever had it.

Im competitive if the challenge arise and intermittent dashes always arise on a ride amongst friends .

if I stop for a coffee , I’d grab a bullet coffee , water or a sugar free coke .

My main diet even allows me a certain amount of carbs and I’m able to know easily get back into Keto if I fall out .

this is called metabolic flexibility once you get to understand your body on a deeper level .

it takes me 16hrs with IF (Intermittent fasting) to do this . So now and then if you crave a burger , why not .

I reckon if you keep doing what you always done  you will keep getting what you always got .

Be brave and try something different , you might be amazed .

- Ketojedijoe 

Sean, is that you?

ss7.jpg

14 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Sean, is that you?

ss7.jpg

Nope that’s not me 😂. It is however the guy that inspired me in trying out Keto 

Just a heads up that dischem is running their "buy 2 get 1 free" on sports supplements until the end of today. 

Stocked up on race pro and hydration tabs 😁

1603936647_Screenshot_2022-05-29-13-46-18-931_com.google.android_apps.photos2.jpg.4c10c00fb6301001a79e9017ba9daad0.jpg

Edited by MongooseMan

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Just a heads up that dischem is running their "buy 2 get 1 free" on sports supplements until the end of today. 

Stocked up on race pro and hydration tabs 😁

1603936647_Screenshot_2022-05-29-13-46-18-931_com.google.android_apps.photos2.jpg.4c10c00fb6301001a79e9017ba9daad0.jpg

We did a “club buy” yesterday.

Same recipe today, but white sugar instead of brown. 
Slightly less sweet and it didn’t feel like I had a sugar crash later.