Login now with email as username

SwissVan

Seriously Admins?

Why after all these years are usernames no longer accepted and we now have to use an email address to login to bikehub?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

Usernames change

Email addresses don't 

Just my guess 

Hmmm not sure that’s a good reason, usernames worked for the last 20 years
My email has changed more than any of my usernames….. on the various forums I’m a member of

3 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Hmmm not sure that’s a good reason, usernames worked for the last 20 years
My email has changed more than any of my usernames….. on the various forums I’m a member of

Well, hopefully admin gets back to you on this, I mean, you asked so nicely 

We did it for two reasons:

1. For us, it simplifies any development around user accounts going forward.
  2. For users, there is one less variable in the login / reset process when they have issues with their account. It's a significant load on our support and streamlining is welcomed.

Are you having issues logging in?

14 minutes ago, Nick said:

2. For users, there is one less variable in the login / reset process when they have issues with their account. It's a significant load on our support and streamlining is welcomed.

Ah yes I understand, makes your life simpler

Yes, after 17 years of using a short username without having to change the keyboard, I now have to type out a lengthy email address changing the keyboard options twice for the @

Thankfully I don’t have any numbers in my email and no longer need to login frequently 

31 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

Well, hopefully admin gets back to you on this, I mean, you asked so nicely 

Proverbs 22:8

“Whoever sows injustice will reap calamity, and the rod of his fury will fail”

A few things that might ease the experience:

1. Save your email address to your keyboard's predictive text (I assume you're talking about mobile here?)
  2. If you regularly use the same browser, don't destroy your Bike Hub cookies. You'll only need to log in once a year.
  3. A password manager can autofill the fields for you (your browser probably offers something similar).

3 minutes ago, Nick said:

1. Save your email address to your keyboard's predictive text (I assume you're talking about mobile here?)
  2. If you regularly use the same device, don't destroy your Bike Hub cookies. You'll only need to log in once a year.
  3. A password manager can autofill the fields for you.

I think the last time I needed to type in my login details was when the forum went through an upgrade....

And even if it is needed, LastPass is my go-to as I have different passwords for every single site I log into. (The leak at TransUnion should really have woken people up to the realities of the internet if they still have shared login details for various sites)

44 minutes ago, Nick said:

No it’s absolutely fine

37 minutes ago, Nick said:

2. If you regularly use the same browser, don't destroy your Bike Hub cookies. You'll only need to log in once a year.
  3. A password manager can autofill the fields for you (your browser probably offers something similar).

When common sense is not very common and requires someone to spell it out... 🙃

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Pls add MFA