Post Ride Bill Splits

OVERDRIVE

2 minutes ago, MORNE said:

your friends suck lol?

but seriously, we just always slpit the bill equally...it doesn't matter who had what. It will balance out. And if someone cant pay...we got you. Thats what friends are.

And by past experience with larger groups it's ALWAYS the water drinkers being funny about it when there is alcohol on the tab. So once we caved to their demands and did the math for a 12 person table....and the water drinkers ended up having to pay in MORE than what they were asked initially by just splitting the bill equally 12 ways haha. Some of the bottled stuff the reasaurants serve is more expensive than a few beers...

That place in Greenpoint where the Seattle and Juice shop is was like R40 for 300ml water.. Eina..

Me, wife plus 3 kids.. R200 bucks for water besides the Greenjuice and coffee..  🤐

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

In most cases I wouldn't be bothered either.
"Rough calculation, us three R250 each, you guys R150 each."
I wouldn't object. The R153 was a bit strange for me. And if someone doesn't want to tip 25% on their meal (i.e subsidise someone else) then it shouldn't be an issue either.

We actually don't know who rejected the proposed split and who made a fuss at the rejection.
Might very well be R140 burger + beer complaining at having to pay R250 to fund lamb shank + whiskey.

Agreed.. looks like we're heading for analysis paralysis.. 🤕

that reminds me...at university i was one of the few with a permanent job. We went out one night like students do and racked up a pretty substantial bill back then between plenty of people. As people started leaving throughout the night..I just asked them to give me their cut of the bill since we were still chatting away.

At the end of the night, myself and my now wife were left over with a bill of around R5k...which was fine i guess...but turns out nobody left any tips with their cuts. (cheap bastards). So i ended up - with my student salary - to cover the R500 tip out of pocket. THAT HURT in 2004. think we ate dry bread for the rest of the month.

10 minutes ago, throttles said:

That place in Greenpoint where the Seattle and Juice shop is was like R40 for 300ml water.. Eina..

Me, wife plus 3 kids.. R200 bucks for water besides the Greenjuice and coffee..  🤐

image.jpeg.2f94147b2a36c0cb904f281cab3ae4d6.jpeg

For this reason I prefer a coffee stop where you can each buy your stuff before you sit down. Much better. In our group we had many experiences where everyone chips in and we end up tipping R200 on a R300 bill for coffees. I then expect great service the next few times, but didn't happen.

Some people get really REALLY weird when it comes to money. Most of us just do the right thing and cover what they consume but some end up shouting insults over tables about tabs whereas others pay entire bills to avoid having to shout over tables about tabs. 

I think it is all about familiarity...when I have dinner with close friends we never nitpick about who owes what but its obviously a different story with acquaintances or strangers. In in this scenario there are 3 rules imo:

- pay what you consume, obviously (sadly not so obvious to some...).

- don't order the most expensive item on the menu and drink liters of alcohol if you are chilling with less-familiar people where sorting the bill at the end might become edgy.

- do not get drunk on someone else's bill, its just sh*tty style.

Or ride alone.

1 hour ago, throttles said:

why would you pay for water - especially when it costs R40? what's wrong with tap water?

8 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

why would you pay for water - especially when it costs R40? what's wrong with tap water?

Big jug of tap water and some glasses, would rather leave a generous tip that pay for water.

11 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

That's where we ended up after the beach stroll from the Sea point Pavilion side.. I went into Seattle for coffee and Juice while the wife and kids were on the grass area on the opposite side of the road.. Got a call for H2O while I was inside.. It is what it is.. I am not gna spoil a good morning looking for "Cheaper water". This is the same area where you pay R20 for a R5 ice sucker.. 🙃

Edited by throttles

4 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

Big jug of tap water and some glasses, would rather leave a generous tip that pay for water.

Jislike.. I don't think they would have let me take their jug and classes to the other side of the road.. 

Let's not derail the conversation here.. less about me.. 😅

15 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

a big jug and 6 straws, thats all you need. :)

But this is cape town, they'd probably charge R10 per straw and R50 for the jug of warm tap water. :)

Edited by ouzo

As a non-alcohol drinker, I prefer to stay out of the 'shared pool'.

Although the crowd I hang with keep tabs of what they consume, and pay accordingly. Everybody normally pays more than a 10% tip, so generally there is enough to cover for those who are short on that day.

1 hour ago, Karooryder said:

Some people get really REALLY weird when it comes to money. Most of us just do the right thing and cover what they consume but some end up shouting insults over tables about tabs whereas others pay entire bills to avoid having to shout over tables about tabs. 

I think it is all about familiarity...when I have dinner with close friends we never nitpick about who owes what but its obviously a different story with acquaintances or strangers. In in this scenario there are 3 rules imo:

- pay what you consume, obviously (sadly not so obvious to some...).

- don't order the most expensive item on the menu and drink liters of alcohol if you are chilling with less-familiar people where sorting the bill at the end might become edgy.

- do not get drunk on someone else's bill, its just sh*tty style.

Or ride alone.

+1

People's true colours come out when it gets to money/finances.