Titan Racing Pro vs Scott Spark 940

Darryl Pentz

1 hour ago, sirmoun10goat said:

Asprey does some very nice hydration packs - these should always be up for consideration

I think its Osprey

I've had one of their packs. Very good quality. Stolen when my place was broken into in 2007 :(

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I think its Osprey

I've had one of their packs. Very good quality. Stolen when my place was broken into in 2007 :(

You would be correct. I love the quality and comfort of mine. It sits great and doesn’t move around, I don’t need that ‘no dancing monkey’ stuff

As with anything, each has individual needs and wants.

For me 2 bottles is literally the reason I sold my previous Scott for a Titan Cypher Carbon Pro. We adventure race so if you have a 200km bike leg where you are not sure there will be any safe water to drink along the way and your pack already weighs 10kg. You need those 2 bottles or you going to be an extra 3-5kg on your back.

Regarding the Titan. I can say it is as well finished as the Scott. I did a 20km loop when I got the bike on Wed last week just to check my initial setup. Then I raced Amohela on the weekend, my only things to change on the bike, are tyre pressure and shock pressure, maybe esi grips. So really I am super happy. Going to carbon rims is something you can feel, there is a certain stiffness there that translates well. Day 1 was really quite tech and I was super happy with the geometry and even on the 100mm version I didn't need any more travel. Living in GP there really is no need for more than 100mm up front for my usage. Again personal usage.

My advise as well is to do the rather effing boring excel spreadsheet comparison. List all parts on the bike- fork, shock, drivetrain, wheels etc. Find replacement costs and put them there for comparison of value. Then list pro and con for each- is it the right component for you, is it the right level of performance etc etc. Once you have done that it will be an easy decision to add up. You will also find it is hard to beat the Titan when you look at it this way. Then again I am far to logical for the average person. If you want an excel template pm me.

I agree with all the things everyone has said here, good points and helpful advice from all.

I would recommend the titan if you are looking for a light race weapon that can climb and descend fairly well (the 120mm cypher is IMHO way more versatile) but the scott for an all rounder. The scott is heavier and won't climb as nicely, but will be super fun when pointed down. Up to you, but my ideal xc bike would be the 120mm cypher with carbon wheels - it will climb like a beast and be pretty fun on singletrack.

I hope that helped somewhat and happy riding!

I have a 120mm Titan Cypher, I friggin love it and there's very little to be critical of tbh. At the price it is a no brainer. 

That said. When all the waffling is done. Your head plays tricks. Nothing can replace a gut feel. Go with your heart, it is the whole point of why we ride.

I just want to thank everybody for their comments to my thread. I have thoroughly appreciated all the feedback from the community, it's all been very interesting and instructive.

My reason for wanting 2 bottle cages is because while I can absolutely use a Camelbak for the longer races I want to do, having 2 bottle cages still allows me to not wear a backpack for my 2-3hr training rides on my local trails, which I find quite enjoyable.

Be that as it may, since starting this thread, I've gone from choosing between the 940 and the Cypher Pro, to the Minister of Finance™ (aka my wife) signing off on a good deal on a Scott Spark RC Team Issue, to changing my mind again to the Titan Racing Cypher RS Team. So ironically I've somewhat gone full circle back to the initial bike I had wanted. My challenge now is to find the right size frame for me. My old Bergamont is a M but the RS Team M is definitely too small, so much so that I will even try an XL given my size.

I'll be making that decision when I go back to Bike Addict tomorrow to try both the L and the XL. Either way I'll be leaving the store having chosen one of them as my future steed. Will update here with final decision.

Thanks again for all the feedback! 🙏

On 5/31/2022 at 4:53 PM, Danger Dassie said:

I have a 120mm Titan Cypher, I friggin love it and there's very little to be critical of tbh. At the price it is a no brainer. 

That said. When all the waffling is done. Your head plays tricks. Nothing can replace a gut feel. Go with your heart, it is the whole point of why we ride.

👊

2 hours ago, Darryl Pentz said:

I just want to thank everybody for their comments to my thread. I have thoroughly appreciated all the feedback from the community, it's all been very interesting and instructive.

My reason for wanting 2 bottle cages is because while I can absolutely use a Camelbak for the longer races I want to do, having 2 bottle cages still allows me to not wear a backpack for my 2-3hr training rides on my local trails, which I find quite enjoyable.

Be that as it may, since starting this thread, I've gone from choosing between the 940 and the Cypher Pro, to the Minister of Finance™ (aka my wife) signing off on a good deal on a Scott Spark RC Team Issue, to changing my mind again to the Titan Racing Cypher RS Team. So ironically I've somewhat gone full circle back to the initial bike I had wanted. My challenge now is to find the right size frame for me. My old Bergamont is a M but the RS Team M is definitely too small, so much so that I will even try an XL given my size.

I'll be making that decision when I go back to Bike Addict tomorrow to try both the L and the XL. Either way I'll be leaving the store having chosen one of them as my future steed. Will update here with final decision.

Thanks again for all the feedback! 🙏

Pics or it never happened! Also a bike on the couch pic in the new purchase brag thread

just keep in mind the headset on the new spark is anal nightmare hell hole piece of k#k Scott thought of 

fine if you make it your mechanics problem but not so fine if you're stage racing in the middle of nowhere

I've also heard there seems to be a frame bolt on the new spark that likes breaking but can't confirm this , I've not seen it with my own eyes. only heard it from two separate people far removed from each other 

IMG_20220602_205109.jpg

56 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

just keep in mind the headset on the new spark is anal nightmare hell hole piece of k#k Scott thought of 

fine if you make it your mechanics problem but not so fine if you're stage racing in the middle of nowhere

I've also heard there seems to be a frame bolt on the new spark that likes breaking but can't confirm this , I've not seen it with my own eyes. only heard it from two separate people far removed from each other 

IMG_20220602_205109.jpg

The K&K people aspire to because .....N1NO....the mind boggles