Rigid mtb forks

Greetings hubbers

I'm needing some advice please - I'm looking to get a rigid fork for a HT to be converted to a graveller style bike. 

Problem is, I dont want to spend loot on a new wheel set, so I need a rigid with a standard non boost QR system

Headset is tapered but I dont think this is the issue

Any idea where I can go shopping? I've mailed a few local suppliers last week and none have bothered to get back to me 

1 hour ago, 117 said:

Greetings hubbers

I'm needing some advice please - I'm looking to get a rigid fork for a HT to be converted to a graveller style bike. 

Problem is, I dont want to spend loot on a new wheel set, so I need a rigid with a standard non boost QR system

Headset is tapered but I dont think this is the issue

Any idea where I can go shopping? I've mailed a few local suppliers last week and none have bothered to get back to me 

Kean Bikes?

I know he brings in standard QR ones, 15x100 and 15x110

I would also put a wanted ad on the classifieds. There are bound to be a bunch of old Rapide Pitchforks and imported chinese guys floating around.

I recently sold a set for about R1000

eBay and AliExpress have some cheapoptions too with decent shipping times and cheap transportation costs. 

I have a set of steel forks which I got some bottle bosses added to by Dave Mercer, so an old steel set might be good if you're not a weight weenie.

Thanks Guy, I'll post a wanted add too

Weight watching is on the cards hence I'm interested in the carbon option - plus it looks cooler when you rock up at a coffee winkle in fourways bro 😅

Edited by 117

1 minute ago, 117 said:

Thanks Guy, I'll post a wanted add too

Weight watching is on the cards hence I'm intyerested in the carbon option - plus it looks cooler when you rock up at a coffee winkle in fourways bro 😅

Since Jewbacca was helpful and basically closed the thread, I'll clarify that you'll look cool, but only to other rigid riders. Roadies think you're slow and mtb normies think you're a sucker for punishment. 

To be honest its more for self enjoyment than discussion factor

But I dont mind the discussion when sticking pace with the roadies anyway 😉

55 minutes ago, 117 said:

To be honest its more for self enjoyment than discussion factor

But I dont mind the discussion when sticking pace with the roadies anyway 😉

Yeah dude, rigids are the bomb diggity, mo' stanchions, mo' problems!

Which wheelset do you have? Couldn't maybe just swap out the end caps to get it to be boost and through axle? If so, Rapide's PitchFork has, so far, taken all of the abuse I've thrown at it with a smile. Not sure if they have stock but @Kiwi will, unless the world comes to a grinding halt, definitely at least reply to you.

Go to keanbikes, I got mine from him, everything comes with the Fork, even the race where the bearing goes and the Carbon grip-nut, I converted a Silverback Sola to a Rigid fork with some 70 x 38 C Gravel tires, I am very happy, he is a bit cheaper than Rapide.

@KEANBIKESsales1

Edited by Dexter-morgan

7 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

Yeah dude, rigids are the bomb diggity, mo' stanchions, mo' problems!

Which wheelset do you have? Couldn't maybe just swap out the end caps to get it to be boost and through axle? If so, Rapide's PitchFork has, so far, taken all of the abuse I've thrown at it with a smile. Not sure if they have stock but @Kiwi will, unless the world comes to a grinding halt, definitely at least reply to you.

Tyone, I run standard XT QR hubs. The rear hub is a 8010 series XT converted back to QR 

I'll get hold of Kiwi and see what he suggests

Am i safe in assuming it would be easier buying a new bike than finding a rigid mtb fork with a straight steerer?

17 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Am i safe in assuming it would be easier buying a new bike than finding a rigid mtb fork with a straight steerer?

Yes they are , I had to buy a whole bike to get my Niner carbon QR straight steerer , took me years to sell off the left over frame and compomnents, but oh so worth it 😉 

Niner.jpg

Edited by Milosh
spelling

Whatever you choose, just make sure your axle to crown measurement is long enough to compensate for the fact that the frame is designed around a suspension fork. A typical 29" 100mm fork has an A2C measurement of around 505 - 510mm.

21 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Took me many years of waiting before I found one. But it was for a rat bike and I didn't feel like dropping R3.5k on a plastic one.

11 minutes ago, droo said:

Whatever you choose, just make sure your axle to crown measurement is long enough to compensate for the fact that the frame is designed around a suspension fork. A typical 29" 100mm fork has an A2C measurement of around 505 - 510mm.

Took me many years of waiting before I found one. But it was for a rat bike and I didn't feel like dropping R3.5k on a plastic one.

Thing is I already have a steel fork on the bike.  After every traumatic ride I consider selling, or upgrading it, or turning it into a SS. But as the feelings fade, I look at at it and think, wow, you are perfect the way you are. 

I was just curious i guess. I couldn't bring myself to put a plastic fork on a steel frame regardless.