Meet the new mid-level assist Trek Fuel EXe e-mountain bike

News bot

On 7/14/2022 at 2:18 PM, Chadvdw67 said:

This ^^^

Also have a 160/170 Enduro bike which I have dropped to 140/150, and I am actually having more fun on it now, even down the DH track in Harties, were I was actually faster now with less travel...

Travel is not the be all and end all of what bikes are capable of, if the pricing is right on these Fuel EXe, I will be very seriously considering getting one, it seems to be exactly what I want

Take a serious look at the Orbea Rise H15. Going for a round R115k. Im super happy with mine.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Kuys said:

Take a serious look at the Orbea Rise H15. Going for a round R115k. Im super happy with mine.

The Pyga E bike is another I am interested in, yes it is a "full fat" E bike, but it is a Pyga, and I am a bit of a groupie 🤣 could also just get a frameset and swap all my Slakline bits over....

On 7/12/2022 at 7:49 PM, ChrisF said:

360Wh .... when the industry is moving from 625Wh to 750Wh, and now even a couple of 900Wh options.

the 50nm motor is ''theoretically'' half the size so you can basically double the the 360wh to 720wh, add the range extender and you've got 1040wh!!

Had me a quick gander at the local pricing here. Mid and top spec models available now. Entry level on pre-order for mid-August.

image.png.daafbddd7b0c1705fc5490169c0109f1.png

*exchange rate is roughly 10 ZAR to 1 NZD

With my only eBike experience being a entry level rental eMTB for a touristy trail ride with my wife (non-cyclist), I am definitely not qualified to advise.

But, here in hobbit-land, most MTBing is hilly, twisty forest single track. 15km on these trails feels like 50km of what I was used to (but that may just be my appalling fitness).

Hardly any XC bikes out and about. Most riders are on 140mm - 160mm bikes. Trail and enduro styles of riding capture the majority of the market, so eBikes are becoming more prevalent as riders chase the thrill not the burn or the clock.

I think this "mid-eBike" will be well placed to entice a few fence-sitters over to the assisted side.

Hell, if I had the money, I would buy one, I think it's one of the best looking eMTBs out there!

A modern-geo mid-travel light EB is definitely something that tickles my fancy.

I have a 2021 Levo SL and a 2022 Stumpy Evo. I've been tempted to sell the Stumpy because I don't get to ride it more than once a week (my weekdays are spent on a Diverge), but:

Every time I ride the Stumpy I'm reminded of just how much of a difference a proper slack HA / steep SA can make. You'll hear plenty of people on here tell you that it's all marketing bollocks and that no one really needs this modern geo wizardry, but I can honestly tell you (with a straight face after having ridden both back-to-back for months) that it makes a massive difference. Planted, stable, fast. Love it.

The Trek is appealing to me purely because of this, but then again I might get kicked out of the house if I buy another bike this year so I'll probably wait for the next Levo SL...

As someone who may even know the design team responsible for this personally, I can tell you that it was not designed to have a bigger capacity motor, battery and therefore a longer range, but to take the elements/experiences of non-assist bike and apply them to an assisted experience whilst dropping weight and maintaining the best possible ride geo and feel. The Rail is still the go-to, large, long-range capacity workhorse, whilst this is designed to plug a gap in Trek's product line.

I can tell you personally that the gents at the TQ booth at Eurobike two weeks ago were grinning from ear-to-ear as Specialized paid a very special visit camera's in hand and all...

On 7/13/2022 at 7:42 AM, dave303e said:

Not to be a tonsil. But surely an e-bike is an enabler. Ie get someone on trails for like 40-60 km rides who couldn't manage it previously or as easily as they used to for whatever reason.

If you are that dedicated that you are doing 100km high elevation rides surely you are dedicated enough to be fit enough to manage them without a battery? Or you are fit enough for 60 of those km and the e-bike takes up that last 40% stop gap and thus inly a smaller baytery required? If cycling was that important to you and you needed to do such big rides you would be fit enough.

Or am I missing something here?

As for the bike in article, I think it is a good idea, if you still fit ish and feel you on that slippery slope. Or are just starting to battle to keep up with the regular group due to age or injury. It is a good option.

Dave there are lots of different reasons people ride ebikes

I for one have a heart condition so can not go over 120 bpm heart rate.

I can ride all day if I want to, But whether im riding 10km or 150km, a bit of assistance on steep climbs is necessary. 

Anyways your assumption that everyone riding an ebike is just not dedicated enough or that cycling is not that important to you is small minded and irritating!

15 hours ago, saggy said:

Dave there are lots of different reasons people ride ebikes

I for one have a heart condition so can not go over 120 bpm heart rate.

I can ride all day if I want to, But whether im riding 10km or 150km, a bit of assistance on steep climbs is necessary. 

Anyways your assumption that everyone riding an ebike is just not dedicated enough or that cycling is not that important to you is small minded and irritating!

You totally misunderstood my point. I have nothing against an ebike, especially in your case. But like you said you just need the help on the steep hills. So if you riding a 100km, likelihood that 70odd km will be you and the bike will need to help for those 30km of rougher climbs. In which case a smaller battery/standard battery will be fine for that stop gap to get you up the hills and this bike in the article is perfect. Chances are if you are needing to do 150km rides you will build up enough so that majority is done by you and that you would have the bike fill in the gap again. Like I said nothing against that. Also nothing against when you start getting older or are sick whatever and still want to enjoy a good solid ride.

The standard batteries will get most through a 60km ride easily. Which is the equivalent of a marathon if you consider min distance for XCM is 60km. So it enables a full marathon in standard trim, which is more riding than most mtb riders do. And that is brilliant. If it can enable you to do that then really it is brilliant. Ask many runners what it means to do a marathon. Most would be excited if there were e-shoes to help them get from a 21km to a marathon. 

Like I said great enabler. But when you riding with spare batteries or oversized batteries so it can be on half power last over 100km because you can only manage 20km on your own, you are missing the point in MY opinion. 

@dave303e and @saggy I think the point (which has been flogged to death, but let's flog it again) is that no one needs any justification for "needing" an EB.

What keeps cropping up time after time after time are a list of reasons (like you've explained above) why an EB is necessary. Very few people actually legitimately "need" an EB for these reasons, if they're 100% honest with themselves. That does not mean that they can't have one.

I have zero "need" for one, but I like them so I have one. When do I ride it? Pretty much when I feel like it. If I'm feeling lazy or tired, I'll pull it from the rack and take it to Tokai. On days I'm feeling sharp, I'll take my analog trail bike. On most days to keep pushing my fitness (and also because I love it), I'll ride my gravel bike.

All bikes are cool. EBs are bikes, so they're cool.