Meet the new mid-level assist Trek Fuel EXe e-mountain bike

News bot

Press Release – Trek has launched the all-new Fuel EXe e-mountain bike today, championing a whole new category in the mountain bike world. While other electric bikes chase more power and bigger batteries, Fuel EXe is refined with mid-level assist from a system that’s so compact, light and quiet, it’s barely noticeable. It effortlessly blends […]

View full article

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

360Wh .... when the industry is moving from 625Wh to 750Wh, and now even a couple of 900Wh options.

Definitely "against the grain" of expected e-bike evolution. 

But based on Trek's media launch and marketing this is aimed more at the current non-ebike riders. The higher power + higher Wh battery options are there and it sounds like will continue their own evolution, this fits somewhere in between analogue bikes and "normal" ebikes. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Definitely "against the grain" of expected e-bike evolution. 

But based on Trek's media launch and marketing this is aimed more at the current non-ebike riders. The higher power + higher Wh battery options are there and it sounds like will continue their own evolution, this fits somewhere in between analogue bikes and "normal" ebikes. 

Their version of the SL ....lighter, smaller motor and battery ....

Some love it .... others not so much.

Getting to the point where a new ebike rider should rent and TEST a bike for their trails, climbs, range ... and handling.

The range of options and rider expectations certainly now cover a very wide field ....

I have friends for whom the light weight is THEE critical factor, who may well like this bike.

Personally I need maximum battery capacity for 100km high elevation rides.

Nice to have all these options

What is cool to see with this is the introduction of the TQ drive unit. TQ is an interesting company and although relatively new to ebikes, they have a lot of experience in creating small, powerful and efficient motors for robotics, aerospace and many other applications. Will be interesting to see what else they might have up their sleeves for ebikes.

11 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Their version of the SL ....lighter, smaller motor and battery ....

Some love it .... others not so much.

Getting to the point where a new ebike rider should rent and TEST a bike for their trails, climbs, range ... and handling.

The range of options and rider expectations certainly now cover a very wide field ....

I have friends for whom the light weight is THEE critical factor, who may well like this bike.

Personally I need maximum battery capacity for 100km high elevation rides.

Nice to have all these options

Not to be a tonsil. But surely an e-bike is an enabler. Ie get someone on trails for like 40-60 km rides who couldn't manage it previously or as easily as they used to for whatever reason.

If you are that dedicated that you are doing 100km high elevation rides surely you are dedicated enough to be fit enough to manage them without a battery? Or you are fit enough for 60 of those km and the e-bike takes up that last 40% stop gap and thus inly a smaller baytery required? If cycling was that important to you and you needed to do such big rides you would be fit enough.

Or am I missing something here?

As for the bike in article, I think it is a good idea, if you still fit ish and feel you on that slippery slope. Or are just starting to battle to keep up with the regular group due to age or injury. It is a good option.

11 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Not to be a tonsil. But surely an e-bike is an enabler. Ie get someone on trails for like 40-60 km rides who couldn't manage it previously or as easily as they used to for whatever reason.

If you are that dedicated that you are doing 100km high elevation rides surely you are dedicated enough to be fit enough to manage them without a battery? Or you are fit enough for 60 of those km and the e-bike takes up that last 40% stop gap and thus inly a smaller baytery required? If cycling was that important to you and you needed to do such big rides you would be fit enough.

Or am I missing something here?

As for the bike in article, I think it is a good idea, if you still fit ish and feel you on that slippery slope. Or are just starting to battle to keep up with the regular group due to age or injury. It is a good option.

I WISH I was .... or rather, wish my knees were up to it.

Being "fit enough" is one topic.

What my knees can cope with is a totally different topic.

Doing a 5km commute, with only 80m elevation over two hills I had to nurse it up those hills to protect my knees.  Stand on the pedals and ride up there .... bean bags and Deep Heat for a few days.

On these longer rides I use eco mode on the flats, and barely keep up with normal riders.  As soon as the hills start I have to up the assist just that bit.  Swartberg, Franschoek pass, etc. I need to use mid-boost (the Giant has 5 assist levels) and the granny gear .... long slow ride.

And still, the male ego likes to get out the saddle and power it up a hill every so often .... at Trans Augrabies I had plenty fun out on the trails .... and Deep Heat and bean bags at the challet. :P

Doctors told me in January 2020 that I should stop cycling, due to my knees .... almost 8 000 km later I ENJOY every moment in the saddle, knowing the day may come ....

I am clearly in that group of ebike riders that want the largest possible battery.  BUT, I fully understand that this type of smaller battery bike has its own market.  

9 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I WISH I was .... or rather, wish my knees were up to it.

Being "fit enough" is one topic.

What my knees can cope with is a totally different topic.

Doing a 5km commute, with only 80m elevation over two hills I had to nurse it up those hills to protect my knees.  Stand on the pedals and ride up there .... bean bags and Deep Heat for a few days.

On these longer rides I use eco mode on the flats, and barely keep up with normal riders.  As soon as the hills start I have to up the assist just that bit.  Swartberg, Franschoek pass, etc. I need to use mid-boost (the Giant has 5 assist levels) and the granny gear .... long slow ride.

And still, the male ego likes to get out the saddle and power it up a hill every so often .... at Trans Augrabies I had plenty fun out on the trails .... and Deep Heat and bean bags at the challet. :P

Doctors told me in January 2020 that I should stop cycling, due to my knees .... almost 8 000 km later I ENJOY every moment in the saddle, knowing the day may come ....

I am clearly in that group of ebike riders that want the largest possible battery.  BUT, I fully understand that this type of smaller battery bike has its own market.  

This.

I'm now able to ride 2+ hour rides with my mom. thats is something special

i love e-bikes

12 minutes ago, Furbz said:

This.

I'm now able to ride 2+ hour rides with my mom. thats is something special

i love e-bikes

[comic sans]

you need an e-bike to keep up with your mom ?  :) 

[/comic sans]

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

[comic sans]

you need an e-bike to keep up with your mom ?  :) 

[/comic sans]

Stereotypes are dangerous ....

All too often we read (never will we say it) that the WIFE needs an ebike to keep up with the hubby .....

While back I saw a couple ride up to the mast at Contermanskloof, from Bloemendal - both on normal bikes.  The wife was fresh and ready for the next climb .... the hubby looked in dire need of an ebike ....

A friend has done a couple of Ironman events, they regularly do Trans Baviaans.  She is now busy with a training program for Comrades.  Her husband just bought an ebike .... we joked that she must just stretch the ride, and keep the pace nice and high .... she WILL outlast that ebike battery !!

Edited by ChrisF

This bike is interesting, but as ChrisF said, it is Trek's version of the SL.

I would take a kenevo SL over this anyday. It looks better, is lighter, handles better and is more capable.

It is massive compared to the Kenevo SL, yet somehow has pretty much identical specs (same battery size)

A good job that could have been done a bit better IMHO