Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

1 hour ago, Sepia said:

My 2c worth on the subject of ventilation.

I have done a bit of airflow ventilation in my time in basic remote conditions.

A black pipe through the wall from floor to higher than the gutter would create a natural airflow due to hot air rising and pipe getting hot.  Put it opposite the entry point of the outside air air and remember one important factor, air takes the shortest route.  Paint 110/90mm pvc pipe matt black and puta cover 9even a venturi fan on it.  Cover entry with mesh.

Evaporative cooling can also be used effectively in such dry conditions as your.  Hot air rises so you could consider throughflow or opening in the roof (Saw tooth effect)  Use the paper/smoke  method to see how well it works.

As I said, my 2c.

Thank you Sepia, sounds very interesting.

Way above my DIY skills..time to call Bernard the Handyman.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sepia said:

My 2c worth on the subject of ventilation.

I have done a bit of airflow ventilation in my time in basic remote conditions.

A black pipe through the wall from floor to higher than the gutter would create a natural airflow due to hot air rising and pipe getting hot.  Put it opposite the entry point of the outside air air and remember one important factor, air takes the shortest route.  Paint 110/90mm pvc pipe matt black and puta cover 9even a venturi fan on it.  Cover entry with mesh.

Evaporative cooling can also be used effectively in such dry conditions as your.  Hot air rises so you could consider throughflow or opening in the roof (Saw tooth effect)  Use the paper/smoke  method to see how well it works.

As I said, my 2c.

That actually a damned clever idea. Think I might use this for my workshed.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:19 AM, jamiecanter said:

Hi all,

A question for those with Wahoo Kickr's. What's the best budget friendly solution to power the trainer during load shedding? 

Looking at getting into the solar game but need something to cover me in the meantime.

Thanks

I'm a Mech guy so I have zip knowledge on this thing call electricity - But from my years at google university i take the amps and multiply it by the time i need it to run.

Kickr uses 12V - 5 amps - using a DC/DC UPS 17800 MaHrs (17.8 Amp Hrs) bought off Takealot for 1300 ronds should run the kickr for over 2.5 hours.

I run the same system on my modem and wifi range extenders which will last up to 6 hours where the total draw is 3 amps.

DC/DC UPS are a lot more efficient than AC UPS, an they recharge a lot quicker

On 1/18/2023 at 11:57 PM, Spookie said:

Noob Q: Anyone else having issues with fibre during loadshedding?

I have a UPS that can last the 2-4h stints no problem, but after an hour of loadshedding the internet stops working. So everything is connected, just no data flow (broadband light is red and service light is off - usually both are green).

8FE4BC55-56C2-443A-A7A6-3FF3C6716263.jpeg.c80c037fddd9141ee4a3364b8d568a77.jpeg

Raised it with my ISP and they just blame Eskom and their ‘batteries not having enough time to recharge’. I’m not super clued up on these things, so trying to confirm that it’s definitely an ISP issue and not a fibre provider issue before I change ISP’s only to find I’ve gone full circle 😂 friends down the road are MWEB and have zero issues even in 4h windows.

We never ever had a problem with loadshedding with our Fibre/isp. I know that RAIN in our little dorpie is not working. Must be an ISP issue.

20 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

This lot get my "hair up" with their stupid adds ....

I need to buy a R9k pre-paid meter if I want to feed power back. (2021 rate)

I need to enter into an agreement with a monthly fee, before I have sold the first unit of power to them ....

NO WAY the average homeowner, in Cape Town, could ever break even selling power back to the City.

PS - YES, I do have a "City approved" system.  Jumped through all the hoops ... but opted for the normal pre-paid meter which does not allow me to feed back.

PPS - provide the feedback meter free of charge, remove the monthly fee ... then it would make sense for the typical home owner to feed back their couple of spare units per day ....  Looking at the roofs in our area, there must be enough spare capacity to power another couple of homes in the area.

Well, from the article on News24, at least they are looking into it:

To feed power into the grid or wheel across, customers need to have their system approved and an Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) meter installed by the City. This bi-directional meter allows accurate reporting of the amounts of energy consumed and generated. 

As the meter is costly, Hill-Lewis says officials are working on finding a cheaper alternative. 

Which is probably more than can be said for anywhere else in the country

26 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

This lot get my "hair up" with their stupid adds ....

I need to enter into an agreement with a monthly fee, before I have sold the first unit of power to them ....

NO WAY the average homeowner, in Cape Town, could ever break even selling power back to the City.

PS - YES, I do have a "City approved" system.  Jumped through all the hoops ... but opted for the normal pre-paid meter which does not allow me to feed back.

PPS - provide the feedback meter free of charge, remove the monthly fee ... then it would make sense for the typical home owner to feed back their couple of spare units per day ....  Looking at the roofs in our area, there must be enough spare capacity to power another couple of homes in the area.

Maybe we shouldn't bash one of the few places that actually is trying to solve an issue. While it may not be perfect, at least it's something. And in this country anything at this point is better than nothing.

27 minutes ago, Jase619 said:

Maybe we shouldn't bash one of the few places that actually is trying to solve an issue. While it may not be perfect, at least it's something. And in this country anything at this point is better than nothing.

Look if they can source a cheaper meter then that will be great, but if it is not financially viable then it is not financially viable. The meter's should not cost the solar owners a cent, we have paid line rentals and network charges for a long time and the meter is part of the network so they can upgrade that.

The other issue with selling solar power back to the grid is that there is no way I am pushing power from my battery into the grid. Direct from the panels is one thing but not from the battery. Which means we will have a lovely supply of power during the day(great for businesses) but for homeowners when the peak is evenings and early mornings the issue will still be there.

I have one of these Gizzu 500w 518wh jobbies and am quite happy with the purchase. 

It is very basic (slow charging at 6 hours, pretty basic screen) but it does the job. Currently sitting in a blackout with my laptop + docking station + high res high refresh monitor and it's only sucking 62W at the moment so I am good for many hours.

55-inch TV and Xbox Series S are also good for a blackout or two depending on what the Xbox is doing.

I'd love a proper solar system but I don't have access to R160k right now so the plan is for the Gizzu to last a year or two while I find the money for solar (or pack up and leave).

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

we sit with easy 5-7kw we could sell for most of the day. But selling the power would never cover the line rental/network charges so sorry to the neighbors... 

46 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Look if they can source a cheaper meter then that will be great, but if it is not financially viable then it is not financially viable. The meter's should not cost the solar owners a cent, we have paid line rentals and network charges for a long time and the meter is part of the network so they can upgrade that.

The other issue with selling solar power back to the grid is that there is no way I am pushing power from my battery into the grid. Direct from the panels is one thing but not from the battery. Which means we will have a lovely supply of power during the day(great for businesses) but for homeowners when the peak is evenings and early mornings the issue will still be there.

When so much power is currently coming from burning diesel, the daytime only isn't a drawback. Eskom can save the diesel for the evenings. 

I am also interested in solar, but not interested in feeding back into the system. I would rather have the city subsidise solar installations like they did with solar geysers.

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

we sit with easy 5-7kw we could sell for most of the day. But selling the power would never cover the line rental/network charges so sorry to the neighbors... 

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

It’s a bit selfish, but I’ll use whatever power is coming from the panels and power the house and charge the battery. Soon to be two batteries, and perhaps another aircon. Charity starts at home.