XCO MTB World Champs

Block

On 8/30/2022 at 1:37 PM, DieselnDust said:

They don't spend enough time on their mountain bikes.

MVDP arrived in Tokyo three days before the event. Pidcock had been there two prior and was riding the course at every opportunity allowed. When MVDP arrived he thought he was going to get a lot of assistance from his team mates and didn't. None of them were going to give him an edge by helping him do his homework. So he had minimal course practice then missed race briefing as well and the  course notes where they were told the bridge would not be there. So all onhim really (which he accepted). 

Gaze accident was weird. It looked like he hesitated on the jump then pulled too hard on the bar and pushed his weight too far back, bike was leaning right when it landed and he became a passenger. I think he was just unsighted by the riders ahead and got his timing wrong

Interesting that you know every time they train what bike they train on. Please don’t tell me strava is your data source 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

Interesting that you know every time they train what bike they train on. Please don’t tell me strava is your data source 

Perhaps, but it’s not that much of a stretch to assume they are spending a lot more time on rollers, or training on the road, and therefore technical skills in MTB do slip a little

14 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

here you go

19:45

and then 22:45 onward

Looking at it again, it looks like a little tail whip that went wrong. Sarrou can be seen tail whipping over the jumps, but the 1st jump is like a half a mini whip, not enough air height on the jump. Gaze seemed to copy the mini tail-whip of Sarrou, but got it wrong. This fall is the result of riders showing off to the crowd.

15 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I watched a replay of the mens race sans commentary. The Gaze accident was quite unfortunate. He was unsighted by Sarrou and hence slightly off line . His rear wheel slipped on a rock went sent the bike left but his body was wanting to go straight. When he landed, on the fron t wheel , he went down hard into the crowd 

I always enjoy a good crash and I must have missed it on that replay you speak of - when roughly did it happen? Lovely without commentary I thought. 

21 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

Looking at it again, it looks like a little tail whip that went wrong. Sarrou can be seen tail whipping over the jumps, but the 1st jump is like a half a mini whip, not enough air height on the jump. Gaze seemed to copy the mini tail-whip of Sarrou, but got it wrong. This fall is the result of riders showing off to the crowd.

Ok, seen it now. There is no way you can see what happened on that drone footage of the crash and yet you and DnD seem to be able to determine the cause in minute detail 🙂 

38 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Ok, seen it now. There is no way you can see what happened on that drone footage of the crash and yet you and DnD seem to be able to determine the cause in minute detail 🙂 

Yes, because there is more footage than the drone footage, and on that footage it can clearly be seen what happened. Mini-whip jump by Surrou copied by Gaze, but Gaze getting his front wheel landing wrong.

57 minutes ago, Headshot said:

here's the actual crash from front on

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

here's the actual crash from front on

Thanks I found it. It looks like he messed up even before the attempted steezy whip. Eish what a hero to zero moment...

On 8/30/2022 at 1:52 PM, Mtbiker404 said:

So I think it is good that N1no won, a true 100% mtbiker who is dedicated to mtb only. Respect! N1no also had his moments, but I think it was always those Aspen tyres loosing grip on corners or else being rammed by Fluckiger which I think was the result of N1no barging his way through in last year`s WC. I just don`t see N1no ever going down like Gaze and MvP does.

Nino has tried his hand at road, 2014 riding for Orica Greenedge, his last road event result i could find was 24th in a local UCI 1.1 event over 172 km

Elnino.jpg

Edited by SwissVan

5 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

well if it's not on strava it never happened

More seriously I'd expect that a rider preparing for a long road races that take up 90% of their racing life is going to spend 90% of their training on the sort of bike and terrain they're going to be spending most of their time on. 

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

More seriously I'd expect that a rider preparing for a long road races that take up 90% of their racing life is going to spend 90% of their training on the sort of bike and terrain they're going to be spending most of their time on. 

True for sträva, but when is Gaze racing road? 

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I think MVDP did most of his training for tokyo MTB on the roads of france using his roadbike and wearing a yellow  shirt.

he left TdF 23 days before raceday and was always going to be a push adjusting. but if anyone could pull it off, he's the one. That crash was a real pity, was going to be a helluva race.

In contrast pidcock only did 2 one day roadraces in the 3 months leading up to tokyo raceday.

13 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

True for sträva, but when is Gaze racing road? 

well after Sunday...... not in the near future. He was scheduled to ride road world champs no?

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

well after Sunday...... not in the near future. He was scheduled to ride road world champs no?

These are the Worlds best riders, to say they don't spend time on their bikes is alittle insulting. As reference VDP arrived 3 days before means what? These riders don't need hours and hours on a course. 

Sure they ride on the road, ALL MTB riders do(or should), I was in Livigno in June and the Hotel has the Willier Team in, all riding road, I tell my mtb riders to do road it has a benefit.