Apple launches new Apple Watch Ultra

Matt

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I'm just confused about which side I'm supposed to pick since my wrist has a Suunto on it.

Oh now see know you’ve done it. Ive seen that ‘fight’ between trail runners before to know the beef between garmin and suunto fanboys haha

1 hour ago, Kom said:

I get what you are saying, but as much as I love apple hardware and operating systems, i still use google suite for productivity (vs Apple mail, calendar, docs, numbers etc), Spotify (vs Apple Music), Netflix (vs Apple +) and especially GarminConnect and Strava (vs Apple Health).

Just to clarify. I’m talking about the device (apple tv), the media box. I also have netflix, prime, disney, redbull tv etc etc etc on that. It talks seamlessly with all my other devices as part of their smart home concept on a dingle account. Apple music, Plus, arcade etc you mentioned all come for free with apple one which you buy for extra online cloud storage like you do with google too. Costs the same. Again, the fact that its all integrated and not separate apps from separate dev’s has immense benefits when it comes to ease of use. i have all those things on my things too, except keynote is objectively better than powerpoint if you are a creative in my opinion.  People misconstrue what Apple health is too imo. It’s just a diary for your activity, not a comprehensive fitness app. It needs input from something else, then yes…it can track your health.

I use polar things with my apple things for my discovery things.

👍

anyway, perfect Friday thread i guess. Enjoy 😊 

10 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Just to clarify. I’m talking about the device (apple tv), the media box. I also have netflix, prime, disney, redbull tv etc etc etc on that. It talks seamlessly with all my other devices as part of their smart home concept on a dingle account. Apple music, Plus, arcade etc you mentioned all come for free with apple one which you buy for extra online cloud storage like you do with google too. Costs the same. Again, the fact that its all integrated and not separate apps from separate dev’s has immense benefits when it comes to ease of use. i have all those things on my things too, except keynote is objectively better than powerpoint if you are a creative in my opinion.  People misconstrue what Apple health is too imo. It’s just a diary for your activity, not a comprehensive fitness app. It needs input from something else, then yes…it can track your health.

I use polar things with my apple things for my discovery things.

👍

anyway, perfect Friday thread i guess. Enjoy 😊 

I think many people dont understand just how seamlessly the apple stuff interface with each other.

you want to copy text from your phone and past into a documents on you macbook, no problem. Hit copy on the phone, hit paste on the laptop.

Sometimes its actually scary

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I think many people dont understand just how seamlessly the apple stuff interface with each other.

you want to copy text from your phone and past into a documents on you macbook, no problem. Hit copy on the phone, hit paste on the laptop.

Sometimes its actually scary

One word "airdrop" 

My life is complete with it. Have ipads, macbooks, apple tv, iphones, etc in the house and everything interfaces so incredibly well. 

TBH at $800 I don’t think the Ultra is for people who are happy with their Garmin watches. The 36 hours battery life would kill it for most Garmin users I would think and if you have no other apple products it would make zero sense to get one.

13 minutes ago, _David_ said:

TBH at $800 I don’t think the Ultra is for people who are happy with their Garmin watches. The 36 hours battery life would kill it for most Garmin users I would think and if you have no other apple products it would make zero sense to get one.

Couldnt agree more, $800 is awefully close to the cost of a Garmin Fenix 7X Pro which has topo maps, solar, easily 2 weeks of battery life with frequent use, incomparable reliability when it comes to position tracking, heart rate data - most of all - the built in torch ive learnt i cannot live with out! 🤣

Apple bragging about crash detection, years after Garmin brought it out makes me laugh. Apples launch in 2025 for the Apple Watch Series 11 / Ultra Series 3 "Bike Light Radar integration, topo maps and solar" - Garmin crowd be like 🙄

6 minutes ago, Kom said:

Garmin Fenix 7X Pro which has ... incomparable reliability when it comes to position tracking, heart rate data

I think you are very wrong on these two specific points, on the rest I do agree, I think their presentation  targeted to the 3 people who actually go run in the middle of the desert is a bit ridiculous, focusing on safety and the fact that it turns red at night... who gives a f. 🤣, they should've targeted it to the more normal athletes who just want reliable data (HR, GPS) and good software (which it seems on the apple watch means using third party apps instead of apple ones), but anyways...

For me the main thing that makes me consider the apple watch is the HR and GPS sensor, I was initially looking at the woop but apparently their HR sensor is the worst in the market (which is a bit ridiculous) and the subscription is quite expensive for data that is irrelevant.

Edited by Jbr

8 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I think you are very wrong on these two specific points

personal experience of owning both devices or youtube/google opinion? dont mean to be rude but have you actually had multiple apple watches and garmin fenix's to call me out? i have and from my own experience, the apple watch has been unreliable, significantly better since the series 3, but no comparison to my fenix products (my 6x pro was not the best, but still very reliable), the fenix 7 just being absolutely next level.

Edited by Kom

I'm talking Fenix 7 vs Apple watch s7 and +, not some apple watch from 10 years ago. I wouldn't compare it to my fenix5 either, I hope the Fenix7 has a better HR sensor and better GPS than my old Fenix5 ;)

image.png.7de85189fb08fc7f6918c5abf4f73b5e.png

This makes me consider getting rid of any HR strap (benchmark being the polar HR strap)

Edited by Jbr

@_David_ and @Jbr - totally get that reviewers on google have said otherwise, to be honest to believe that an oura ring has better HR reading capability than anything before it makes me question this dataset.

Im talking your actual experience - reliability on actual riding conditions, both products etc accuracy when the device is moving around on your wrist, long rides etc not in a lab on a spinning bike or whatever these paid youtubers are asked to do.

6 hours ago, Jbr said:

😜

F700A6F2-80E6-43E9-9789-21B9190E05B6.jpeg
must be cause I used the wrong charger

I know a good psychotherapist for you @Jbr You've gone through a terrible time with Garmie.

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

doesn't matter, noone cares

I miss comic sans to get sarcasm across, but it does appear someone cares enough to comment.

20 minutes ago, Kom said:

@_David_ and @Jbr - totally get that reviewers on google have said otherwise, to be honest to believe that an oura ring has better HR reading capability than anything before it makes me question this dataset.

Im talking your actual experience - reliability on actual riding conditions, both products etc accuracy when the device is moving around on your wrist, long rides etc not in a lab on a spinning bike or whatever these paid youtubers are asked to do.

lol you think Apple would pay a random ausie cyclist to fake data ? they obviously don't care about us, cycling hasn't been even mentionned in their presentation.

I thought all watches were inaccurate in HR until I saw the two videos I posted earlier, just because it's measuring at an extremity instead of where the actual pump is. But apparently wrist HR can be acurate. At the hospital they actually measure it from your finger so why not.

Personnaly when I run only with my watch I can do Z2 runs, when I use my chest strap, I can't stay in zone 2 passed the first kilometer and half, so yeah I don't trust it. Also one day I wake up with 45 resting HR, then next with 52, looks a bit random. Sometimes the graph you get on the watch show blank data, or as low as 36. The HRV test is only possible with a strap which shows their confidence in the sensor imo.

The GPS isn't terrible on my 530 (at least it gives me it diverges less from the actual road or trail as my watch), but it's not pinpoint accurate : 

image.png.6992bc736bbbafc2fc69787ee7f5c3a1.png

Curious to see if the Ultra can do better, not that it actually matters that much at this point (1 or 3-4m accuracy is ok I believe for cycling except for short segments when you play KOM hunting ;))

I'm not a fan of any brands, I've seen bad Garmin, Wahoo or Samsung products that I warrantied, Apple products I've never had issues with hardware, but damn the software part I find dumb quite often (like iCloud for example, or the fact that you must use stupid siri to change the volume when listening to your airpods, so I'll probably have bad surprises on the watch, I already see that the lack of whatsapp and youtube support will annoy me).

I usually change from Apple to Android every time I change phones, but now that I have an AppleTV at home and a MacBook for work, I'm kind of in it wether I want it or not.

Edited by Jbr

11 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

I know a good psychotherapist for you @Jbr You've gone through a terrible time with Garmie.

It litteraly came to a point that I felt unsafe when a friend took me for a flight in a small plane and there was Garmin stuff in the cockpit 🤣