OVERDRIVE

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

totally different angle, but on going to the spesh website i found this,

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/hotwalk-carbon/p/200221?color=322068-200221&searchText=94021-0005

I honestly feel for the kid whose parents buy them a R20k balance bike.

i missed this. check the hate Shane is getting here! All of what he says is true, but he has bought a lot of the kool aid here. this bike is 10 times the costs of the equivalent he is comparing it to. Even a custom Mercer balance bike (one exists!) will be half this.

image.png.8293a9700fcf8674d390a8a9e55bcfa9.png

Edited by Shebeen

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

i missed this. check the hate Shand is getting here! All of what he says is true, but he has bought a lot of the kool aid here. this bike is 10 times the costs of the equivalent he is comparing it to. Even a custom Mercer balance bike (one exists!) will be half this.

image.png.8293a9700fcf8674d390a8a9e55bcfa9.png

Pre-covid we were at Bloemendal having a post ride coffee .... watching the kids on the pumptrack.

Two toddlers were having a blast on their little balance bikes .... only the parents knew the price difference between the Munga and the Spez .... there certainly was no difference in the level of enjoyment of the kids.

That said, if I had the means, Maritz would have had the super light weight bikes as he grew up ....  my lack of means certainly does not mean I begrudge the next person that can afford it.

16 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Pre-covid we were at Bloemendal having a post ride coffee .... watching the kids on the pumptrack.

Two toddlers were having a blast on their little balance bikes .... only the parents knew the price difference between the Munga and the Spez .... there certainly was no difference in the level of enjoyment of the kids.

That said, if I had the means, Maritz would have had the super light weight bikes as he grew up ....  my lack of means certainly does not mean I begrudge the next person that can afford it.

you realise I didn't begrudge the person looking at a R14k 24" spesh, but the R21k carbon balance bike?

It's called taking it too far and is down the path to this

image.jpeg.7fda3f58c08e1f35a61590426b6e1d86.jpeg

(there is a "lightweight" 20" spesh alu bike in my garage), and should have got one of those carbon JSL momsens back in the day.

12 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

you realise I didn't begrudge the person looking at a R14k 24" spesh, but the R21k carbon balance bike?

(there is a "lightweight" 20" spesh alu bike in my garage), and should have got one of those carbon JSL momsens back in the day.

Sure we are on the same page :thumbup:

The school cycling races always results in bewildered parents .... vast majority of kids on one or other Titan .... and then the odd PRIMARY school kid on a R100k+ bike .....

There will always be the 1%.

For the rest of us, Titan ticks most of the boxes. 

For this round Maritz is riding on a 10 year old light weight Mongoose that we rebuilt.  A new Titan would have been a LOT cheaper.  Then again, the lessons learnt in the build was well worth it.

Certainly no single correct answer.  

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Sure we are on the same page :thumbup:

The school cycling races always results in bewildered parents .... vast majority of kids on one or other Titan .... and then the odd PRIMARY school kid on a R100k+ bike .....

There will always be the 1%.

For the rest of us, Titan ticks most of the boxes. 

For this round Maritz is riding on a 10 year old light weight Mongoose that we rebuilt.  A new Titan would have been a LOT cheaper.  Then again, the lessons learnt in the build was well worth it.

Certainly no single correct answer.  

bonkers. glad to hear it is just the 1%.

My younger kid is almost 8, bikebefok and would be keen as mustard to ride the "spur series" races.

For me it seems already too hectic for him as he is just too competitive for his own good. I want him to just enjoy riding the bike for now. control, jumping and skills is way more important currently.

Races will always be there, Maybe i am being unfair here. He has just started doing park runs and smashes them, He definitely has the engine for bike racing, and maybe in his teens it will be a big thing.

4 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Cheque book racers!

• 1 month later...

Howzit guys.

How are the Muna bikes? I am looking for the 16-inch Sparkle for my 3.5-year-old.

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/muna-sparkle-16-girls-2021?_pos=12&_sid=7a28f23f6&_ss=r

She is very tall and easily fits the bike even though she is younger than the recommended age. She actually sat on the bike in the store and started riding it around which must be a good sign. She has mastered a balance bike and it's time to get used to the pedals.

How is the brand? Not a Makro special? Looking for something solid (not too heavy or cheaply built) but I also don't think she will benefit from a fancy brand quite yet. I am sure that day is coming. I am going to have to build a bigger garage.

I've looked 2nd hand and most bikes look like they were left outside for their entire lives so probably going new.

On 9/15/2022 at 8:51 AM, Shebeen said:

totally different angle, but on going to the spesh website i found this,

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/hotwalk-carbon/p/200221?color=322068-200221&searchText=94021-0005

I honestly feel for the kid whose parents buy them a R20k balance bike.

You know what is scary, you can buy a Husqvarna, electric balance bike for less. Not a no name brand electric bike, a Husqvarna.

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/en-za/models/electric-balancebikes/husqvarna-12edrive.html

• 2 months later...

A note from this weekend.

Saturday afternoon I was standing in the street watching my daughter riding her bike with the neighbours.

The older of the neighbours kids (about 10) has a Mongoose bmx/trick bike thing. His younger sister was given a new raliegh BMX thing for christmas.

It has side wheels and even still has pieces of bubble wrap in places.

I noticed her standing on the pedals and the bike not moving, and then she would push the bike around instead of riding it.

So I asked her to bring it to me to take a look. Some investigation revealed the back brake is binding on the tyre. For personal reasons I dont want to be known to these kids as being able to fix bikes, so I didnt go get tool, I just released the brake, made sure the front brake has some stopping power and asked her to ride it.

Not even 1 pedal stroke later and the chain comes off the sprocket. Put it back, spin the pedals by hand and it seems fine, but the moment she pedals the chain pops off.

Closer inspection and the rear wheel is out of alignment, even closer inspection and I see why. The rear drop outs are made of paper thin metal and are bent.

How who ever manufactures raliegh in SA thinks that is remotely a good idea I dont know. The lightest of bumps is going to bend those drop outs, like its done in this case.

Not all kids bikes are created equal.

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

I'm looking at this bike. Expensive, but it's ballpark what I spent in September on new tyres + drivetrain components on my own bike so... Any other bikes I should consider?

https://earlyrider.co.za/product/belter-16/

That's a damn nice bike. Some people buy their kids a Ferrari for their 18th present, in certain cases it's an appropriate choice.