[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

On 3/13/2023 at 2:25 PM, sias said:

Hey, leave us Potchefstromers out of this! We were just too happy to be by the sea and riding the "August" again! 

I'll have a chat with Tim and tell him to stop cross-chipping and leave his Zipp 808's at home next time!

Dankie, Sias! Ons Potchmense moet maar saamstaan teen die Kapenaars.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/13/2023 at 10:20 AM, dexterdent said:

Just about 516 sub-3's - much better than last year I think (~350), but not quite the ~1100 odd from 2020 if I recall correctly

I would have thought it would be way higher. weather was rof in 2022, this year was quite lekker

8 hours ago, throttles said:

Descending smits is where I got pissed at e-bikes. If I’m going down at 70+km and got passed by 2 e-bike that proceeded to disappear into the distance. How fast were they going? I know this is not normal, aren’t e-bikes limited? Highest e-bike number I saw was 1B but I think he must have started after me coz he only passed me in campsbay.

quite annoying that there was quite a few youngsters on e-bikes like the one towing the BaLLiE up suikerbossie. I’m almost 40 and 104kg I did it on my own with a normal bike. I know of 60+ that did it on a normal bike.

if you have a health condition and require an e-bike then chill at the back and enjoy the ride and views.

I hope they stay true to there word an DQ people. 

I'm a massive advocate for e-bikes, have been for yonks. E-bikes are not going anywhere, they need to be embraced (and have mostly).

It was my first time supporting a buggy in the charity group (that's a story in itself) and there were a few bikes there with electrical assistance. We pooh poohed this at first, but when you have 50kg+ of dead weight to cart around the course I can see this being a justifiable use of battery power. the struggle up the hills was real (I'm too scared to look at strava still to see how slow it actually was). 

I only really had an issue with them flying up the hills and being a little bit rude about it. Towing someone to a better time is an issue, but mainly you're just cheating yourself.

This is not an ebike problem, it's the W- anchors riding them. So are CTCT going to do anything about it? hopefully?

people started using ebikes to race the Argus and get good times, so they reacted with the 3:50 or get disqualified rule which makes sense. BUT will they enforce them? here they are:

3.6. An e-bike may only be used by a rider in the Cycle Tour if such e-bike adheres to ALL of the following requirements:

3.6.1. it weighs less than 30 kg;

3.6.2. it looks like a bicycle and accordingly must contain pedals which serve as the principal method of propulsion;

3.6.3. the auxiliary electric motor with which it is equipped has a maximum continuous rated power of 250W (or 0.25kW);

3.6.4. the motorised assistance only engages when the rider is pedalling, progressively reduces and finally cuts off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h or sooner (i.e. no permanently powered bicycles);

3.6.5. it is fitted with a control mechanism that limits the maximum electric powered speed on PAS (power assist) mode to 25 km/h;

3.6.6. is fitted with all the safety equipment recommended, and/or required under South African road traffic legislation, for pedal cycles.

3.7. An e-bike rider may not start or attempt to start the event before his/her designated starting time slot. Any rider who does so will be disqualified with immediate effect.

3.8. E-bike results will be marked as such in the Cycle Tour results and may not be used as seeding for other cycling events.

3.9. Riders using e-bikes will not qualify for any prize in the Cycle Tour.

3.10. The fastest time that a cyclist, using an e-bike, may complete the event is 3hr 50min. Any ebike cyclists recording a time of less than 3hr 50min will be disqualified.

18 hours ago, FaizelSalie_01 said:

New moon for Ramadaan 2024 is predicted on the 10 March at 11h00. It take 16 hours to see it with the naked eye; which will be seen only on the Monday evening. That equates to start of fasting on the Tuesday 12 March 2024.

If I read it correctly then Ramadaan for 2025 will be 28 feb - 30 Mar. So it will definitely fall in the dates.

The race date has only ever moved 2 from 2nd sunday of March, and in 45 years would probably have been during Ramadaan 4 or 5 times now.

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

If I read it correctly then Ramadaan for 2025 will be 28 feb - 30 Mar. So it will definitely fall in the dates.

The race date has only ever moved 2 from 2nd sunday of March, and in 45 years would probably have been during Ramadaan 4 or 5 times now.

I was referring more to 2024 but it seems we’ll be fine still for next year.

2025 onwards, we dont stand a chance because the race would need to move 2 weeks earlier and dont think that will be possible.

So essentially looks like we’ll miss 2025 and 2026. And then 2027 we should be fine but most guys will have essentially done no training or light training.

3 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

In principle I don't have an issue with the organisers changing the date to make it accessible to more people. A week earlier later or earlier makes no difference in my world.

Only issue would be logistical? I'm sure applications and approvals must be in place long in advance, changing dates could  cause clashes with other planned (non-cycling) events. Also probably the whole January cycling calendar would have to be moved one week earlier. Probably won't be a trivial excercise to change dates.

19 hours ago, FaizelSalie_01 said:

New moon for Ramadaan 2024 is predicted on the 10 March at 11h00. It take 16 hours to see it with the naked eye; which will be seen only on the Monday evening. That equates to start of fasting on the Tuesday 12 March 2024.

I mid said that looooong ago

18 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I was referring more to 2024 but it seems we’ll be fine still for next year.

2025 onwards, we dont stand a chance because the race would need to move 2 weeks earlier and dont think that will be possible.

So essentially looks like we’ll miss 2025 and 2026. And then 2027 we should be fine but most guys will have essentially done no training or light training.

Possible opportunity for a race organiser to organise an event In Cape Town around September, October or November. The CTCT event in 2021 was amazing in October. It won't be the CTCT but maybe called something else. I mean if Durban can have two events with full road closure a year (Tour Durban and Amashova) surely Cape Town can. 

A lot of the open seeded riders do the 94.7 (19 November), Amashova (23 October) and CTCT as their main races every year and travel for these events. Having them all bunched up together towards the end of the year could open the opportunity for an Amateur Cycling "Race Season". Getting more Amateur cyclists training for a "season" means more business for the LBS, Bikehub and so on. 

Anyone in the 42km not get any results on racetec? 5 of my development riders did the 42km, with their racetec chips, but none of their results are showing 🤔

36 minutes ago, Kimikaze said:

Anyone in the 42km not get any results on racetec? 5 of my development riders did the 42km, with their racetec chips, but none of their results are showing 🤔

Apparently the 42km guys had a chip in the number. So if they didn’t have the number they wouldn’t have triggered the timing mat 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, throttles said:

Apparently the 42km guys had a chip in the number. So if they didn’t have the number they wouldn’t have triggered the timing mat 🤷🏻‍♂️

They had their boards on their bikes. Will contact PPA/racetec tomorrow