Rhino Run 2022 - KAMAAAN Benky!!

Shebeen

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

Just spotted going through Greyton. It is raining and awful weather. Huge respect to all riders.

20231020_180045.jpg

20231020_180044.jpg

20231020_180040.jpg

20231020_180039.jpg

Jy moes sommer saam ry .... :whistling:

I KNOW what speed you do with that packed bike :eek:  You may well a few them racers a go for it ...

Slightest of cold fronts moving through at the moment.

Humid this side of the mountain, with a bit of a Northerly wind.  Might get some thundershowers tonight.

Probable better than the mid thirties we had the previous days.

A lot of guys between niks and nêrens in the rain. James Trubshaw is 60km odd out from Swellendam and the rain is steady. Signal can be few and far between, like accommodation... Hope everyone is ok and pushing through/finding shelter.

Seems like the road the Groot Vadersbosch area might be closed/under the water. At some point the guys decided to turn back to Heidelberg and ride an alternate route. Still bucketing down...

image.png.86662b761d0386d11508eaacebd917e1.png

Congrats to those who have reached the 1st finish line and those on their way to Nam, still a long way to go!

7 minutes ago, Roul said:

Seems like the road the Groot Vadersbosch area might be closed/under the water. At some point the guys decided to turn back to Heidelberg and ride an alternate route. Still bucketing down...

image.png.86662b761d0386d11508eaacebd917e1.png

Congrats to those who have reached the 1st finish line and those on their way to Nam, still a long way to go!

There’s a video being circulated of the river-crossing outside Heidelberg that has overflowed. So yes, rerouting the only option at that point I reckon. 

30 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Benky 1760km in already. Mind blowing stuff.

And ahead of last year's pace too!

On 10/21/2023 at 12:33 PM, gemmerbal said:

There’s a video being circulated of the river-crossing outside Heidelberg that has overflowed. So yes, rerouting the only option at that point I reckon. 

I'm guessing it's this spot...bit different when I rode over a few years ago!

IMG_20231023_083824_511.jpg

OR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SEA RESCUE – NSRI – STATION 30, Agulhas

SEA RESCUE – Riviersonderend – Sunday, 22 October. 2 cyclists on the Rhino Run assisted:

Reinard Geldenhuys, NSRI Agulhas station commander, said:

At 12h08, Sunday, 22 October, NSRI Agulhas duty crew were activated to assist Overberg Emergency Services responding to the Riviersonderend River, at Jongenskloof, near to Riviersonderend, at a bridge crossing at the river, where an adult female cyclist was trapped in a tree on the flooded river.

An adult male cyclist had used the floatation of his camel water pack to escape the flooded river but he had lost his bicycle in the process, he raised the alarm, while the females bicycle was submerged near to where she had climbed a tree to escape the flood waters.

We believe, while taking part in the Rhino Run, from Plettenberg Bay to Windhoek, they were crossing the road flooded by the river, when they got into difficulties in the fast flowing water.

The river had flooded during heavy rains that were forecast by SAWS (South African Weather Services)

An NSRI Agulhas swift water rescue team responded to Bredasdorp Fire and Rescue Services fire station and from the there the NSRI Agulhas swift water rescue team, Overberg Fire and Rescue Services rescue divers and Overberg Disaster Risk Management responded to Riviersonderend to join WC Government Health EMS and the SA Police Services on the scene.

Ropes were secured across the river to create a secure platform to affect a rescue operation.

4 NSRI swift water rescue swimmers and a Fire rescue diver reached the female in the tree, securing her into a life-jacket, and wading her safely through the river using the ropes for safety they brought her safely through the river to the river bank.

Both of their bicycles were recovered.

They were not injured and the rescuers helped them to clean, oil and make small repairs to their 2 bicycles and both cyclists, riding the Rhino Run together, both from Johannesburg, continued on their way.