Tour de France 2024

'Dale

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad when it comes to this . Is our beloved sport still tainted by the ills of the past? 
Apparently we cannot sit back and enjoy the spectacle and celebrate the exploits of a generational talent?

Yes, I’m a Pogacar fan , for many reasons, does this make me glaze over stuff that non fans perhaps see? 

Edited by cadenceblur

28 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Sad when it comes to this . Is our beloved sport still tainted by the ills of the past? 
Apparently we cannot sit back and enjoy the spectacle and celebrate the exploits of a generational talent?

Yes, I’m a Pogacar fan , for many reasons, does this make me glaze over stuff that non fans perhaps see? 

Edited by Baracuda

Reading comments criticising Pogacar. Dude had two Netflix documentaries basically poking at holes at him. "I'm gone. I'm dead" became a meme for these past two years. Pundits saying he is not good at long climbs at altitude. If that happened to me I would have motivation for years. I would do everything to stop Visma from taking a stage. 

If I am watching correctly, he camped at the very stage that happened yesterday. Knew every corner. Prepared for an expected battle Royale from Jonas. Knew this was the stage he was going to go long and hard. I was not surprised at all he attacked yesterday 

Jorgensen had no bottles at the bottom of the climb. He was never meant to go for the stage. He looked cooked and Pogi smelled blood. 

2 hours ago, Baracuda said:

"Fueling" is allowing ONLY Pogocar to beat the worlds best climbers by minutes?

Why do you single out only Pogacar? Jonas has performed beyond expectation. Many of the favourites have had poor run ins to the Tour so their peak form is still unknown and therefore the impact of altitude training, nutrition and traiing load is still unknown.

All of them have the same access to nutrition and altitude training and all the rest.

Not all executing optimally

If Chris Froome did this a few years ago, everyone would be screaming EPO from the roof tops. He had that one huge stage in the Giro "which raised questions"; but if he did 5 days of it back-to-back, the press would be going mad.

The press did  go mad and called "doping" You're talking about  events 8 to 11 years ago though. No  quite the same as 2024 is it. Text books on nutrition from that era are fire lighters today.

Pogocar does it for a week on the Giro, followed by 6-8 days of thrashing everyone on the TdF, and we need to believe it is due to his access to special nutrition?

Oversimplification. Pogacar has has had a clean run up to the Tour. Much of his training objectives have not been compromised.

Even Lance Armstrong is saying "buddy you pushing your luck, you got to dial it back a little"

Froome fuelled his giro winning break away smartly. It was discussed at length after the stage and It was discussed in many forums and if I recall S2S also had a seminar on race fuelling in 2016 or 2017(?)

im not asking to believe anything btw, believe what you like. 
btw, please don’t post that hypocrit Lance pharmstrongs opinion on what Pogacar should do. Pharmstrong was a bully. He decided when someone could win and he bullied them because they knew he was doing and working with Ferrari. He should shut his trap when it comes to how to present yourself as a race winner. He showed zero humility in his 7 wins. He controlled “omertà”. Even Johan Bruyneel called out his view as lacking substance and balls. That says enough 

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Lance pharmstrongs opinion on what Pogacar should do

Oh a guy who has *checks  notes* has won zero TdFs telling multiple gt, monuments and classics winner how he should behave?

That's like a fish teaching a bird to fly

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Why do you single out only Pogacar? Jonas has performed beyond expectation. Many of the favourites have had poor run ins to the Tour so their peak form is still unknown and therefore the impact of altitude training, nutrition and traiing load is still unknown.

Not all executing optimally

The press did  go mad and called "doping" You're talking about  events 8 to 11 years ago though. No  quite the same as 2024 is it. Text books on nutrition from that era are fire lighters today.

Oversimplification. Pogacar has has had a clean run up to the Tour. Much of his training objectives have not been compromised.

Froome fuelled his giro winning break away smartly. It was discussed at length after the stage and It was discussed in many forums and if I recall S2S also had a seminar on race fuelling in 2016 or 2017(?)

im not asking to believe anything btw, believe what you like. 
btw, please don’t post that hypocrit Lance pharmstrongs opinion on what Pogacar should do. Pharmstrong was a bully. He decided when someone could win and he bullied them because they knew he was doing and working with Ferrari. He should shut his trap when it comes to how to present yourself as a race winner. He showed zero humility in his 7 wins. He controlled “omertà”. Even Johan Bruyneel called out his view as lacking substance and balls. That says enough 

LA will be the first to agree with your sentiments on him but those sentiments don’t change the fact that LA is probably the only one qualified to make those comments ( “huge mistake” comment that LA made about Pogis ride yesterday)

pogacar’s performances are becoming just as unbelievable as LA’s were

7 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Oh a guy who has *checks  notes* has won zero TdFs telling multiple gt, monuments and classics winner how he should behave?

That's like a fish teaching a bird to fly

lol, pharma’s race tactics are worth listening too. Always insightful. But when he’s offering advice on gifting wins , letting your competitors off the hook, t’s deplorable. The peloton hated him for different reasons. 
Pogacar, Hinault, Merckx….same breed

in fact this reminds me, Pogi needs a nickname. The cannibal and the badger are taken. I think something like The Bear ……Tadej Bear….no too cute and cuddly yet deadly on the back foot…

anyone know of a Slovenian apex predator other than a brown bear?

New to watching TdF. 

Why do people not like Pogi? Honest question. 

10 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Shoo, is that it? How do you know he did not say thanks? 
Do you have insight into the UAE bidon practices? 
was expecting the link to show him doing something really deplorable! 

He threw the empty bidon into the open drivers window of a different team car (Intermarchè Wanty), he could have given it to his own team car where he got the full bidon or held onto it for a minute or 2 until he had a chance to hand it back decently, but no he pulled out a I’m a box move. 

Sure it’s not quite deplorable, but it definetly not being lekker….

14 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

lol, pharma’s race tactics are worth listening too. Always insightful. But when he’s offering advice on gifting wins , letting your competitors off the hook, t’s deplorable. The peloton hated him for different reasons. 
Pogacar, Hinault, Merckx….same breed

in fact this reminds me, Pogi needs a nickname. The cannibal and the badger are taken. I think something like The Bear ……Tadej Bear….no too cute and cuddly yet deadly on the back foot…

anyone know of a Slovenian apex predator other than a brown bear?

With those hairs sticking out of the top of his helmet……Horned viper 🐍 

12 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

LA will be the first to agree with your sentiments on him but those sentiments don’t change the fact that LA is probably the only one qualified to make those comments ( “huge mistake” comment that LA made about Pogis ride yesterday)

pogacar’s performances are becoming just as unbelievable as LA’s were

LP makes those comments because he sees parallels between himself and Tadej. There's extreme arrogance in that because they don't race the same way and LP aroused suspicions of his performances since 1999. He treated journalists like dirt because they dared to accuse him or ask difficult questions. He made no friends in the peloton, everyone was his enemy except the very top officials in the sport and government. Tadej doesn't go out of his way to make enemies, he races his bike. Hinault or Merck are qualified to weigh in, maybe Lemond and Indurain too. These guys were riders and leaders in the peloton. Pharmstrong was the gustapo. Pharmstrong should visit www.shooooosh.com