Tour de France 2024

'Dale

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

I remember hearing or whatever that the average weight for 2023 at the Tour is 7.08kg per bike. 

indeed and

The average 2023 Tour de France bike weight is 7.08 kg.

The average 2023 Tour de France aero bike weight is 7.19 kg.

The average 2023 Tour de France lightweight bike weight is 6.96 kg.

Does it make that much of a difference roughly 0.2 grams? 

4 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

indeed and

The average 2023 Tour de France bike weight is 7.08 kg.

The average 2023 Tour de France aero bike weight is 7.19 kg.

The average 2023 Tour de France lightweight bike weight is 6.96 kg.

Does it make that much of a difference roughly 0.2 grams? 

I would imagine 0.2 wont make much difference, BUT if UCI dropped limit to say 6kg (Sworks Aethos comes in at 6kg from the shop), there would be a shake up for sure. I would imagine most climbers if not all would opt for something closer to the 6KG mark. A 1kg drop in bike weight for someone of JV's weight is a huge difference.

58 minutes ago, wattnow said:

I would imagine 0.2 wont make much difference, BUT if UCI dropped limit to say 6kg (Sworks Aethos comes in at 6kg from the shop), there would be a shake up for sure. I would imagine most climbers if not all would opt for something closer to the 6KG mark. A 1kg drop in bike weight for someone of JV's weight is a huge difference.

AMP has noted this several times. She's sub-50kg, so 1kg is 2% for her. Marginal gains for sure, and as she's on a tiny frame, the savings could be even greater, yet she's stuck at 6.8kg for her bike.

14 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

I remember hearing or whatever that the average weight for 2023 at the Tour is 7.08kg per bike. 

ok say no more, that will be my excuse for sucking at climbing

On 7/12/2023 at 10:10 AM, Eddy Gordo said:

Is this from actual weights of bikes in the tour weighed by an accredited source of or this based on models of bikes ridden but weight taken from similar bike on the shop floor?

the interesting bit of data is the convergence in the weight of lightweight vs aero bike and I suspect that is simply because aero bike have become less aero and lightweight bikes are more aero hence the convergence 

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Is this from actual weights of bikes in the tour weighed by an accredited source of or this based on models of bikes ridden but weight taken from similar bike on the shop floor?

the interesting bit of data is the convergence in the weight of lightweight vs aero bike and I suspect that is simply because aero bike have become less aero and lightweight bikes are more aero hence the convergence 

TDF TEAM BIKES apparently.

The data I've read from mechanics etc is the same.

They even have weight differences and changes for Vingegaards 1x bike and the wheel choices, so I'd guess the information is openly shared

23 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

TDF TEAM BIKES apparently.

The data I've read from mechanics etc is the same.

They even have weight differences and changes for Vingegaards 1x bike and the wheel choices, so I'd guess the information is openly shared

Ya I see tdf team bikes but that isn’t clearly defined in the article. The author suggests they sourced information from all over but isn’t very specific. We should give the. Umbers the same level of credibility we give to lantern rouges power numbers…..

It would have been helpful if the guy who wrote that article could have provide a list of references at the end of the article. 
I know GCN did some bike weights over the tour in previous years so that would provide some of the data points.

but if he’s mixed in listed weights like from a manufacturer’s website and weights from mechanics I’d be a bit sceptical if the accuracy. We should probably be sceptical anyway but the convergence between aero and “lightweight “ is very interesting regardless. The magnitude of the differences also suggests that it’s. It worth debating aero vs lightweight especially for a weekend warrior

Edited by DieselnDust

15 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

It would have been helpful if the guy who wrote that article could have provide a list of references at the end of the article. 
I know GCN did some bike weights over the tour in previous years so that would provide some of the data points.

but if he’s mixed in listed weights like from a manufacturer’s website and weights from mechanics I’d be a bit sceptical if the accuracy. We should probably be sceptical anyway but the convergence between aero and “lightweight “ is very interesting regardless. The magnitude of the differences also suggests that it’s. It worth debating aero vs lightweight especially for a weekend warrior

haha yeah... the aero vs light for a weekend warrior is an interesting one.

A lot of people on the road don't ride fast enough to actually benefit from the marginal gains of either, so in reality it's a moot point.

For those slightly more serious, my understanding is that those with power benefit more from an aero bike and suffer less from the weight penalty, while those who are super light and less powerful on the flats benefit more from a light bike and less from an aero bike.

But then just buy both surely and don't forget to put a bespoke hand made recycled bar bag on for your spares.......

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

AMP has noted this several times. She's sub-50kg, so 1kg is 2% for her. Marginal gains for sure, and as she's on a tiny frame, the savings could be even greater, yet she's stuck at 6.8kg for her bike.

I don’t disagree with her comment on the bike weight, but many women are light weights, so they all have to ride with the 6.8kg limit. They can’t compare themselves to the men though, which is what they are doing.

Dr Ross Tucker refers to hand size for women, and feels a smaller rugby ball would produce better flowing rugby (for the women).

3 hours ago, wattnow said:

Jaaaaa sure it does in a riders mind and on paper and in the lab

But in reality I wonder.... Riders eat and drink stuff all day without having a poop (except Mr Dumoulin 😬) and pour water (hopefully) over themselves without worrying about the extra added weight.

Damn can you imagine Pogacar / Vinegaard looses the TDF because they poured to much water on themselves... or did not stop for a poop

I remember a time long ago last century when river racing kayaks / canoes where being made so light that they flexed while being carried on portages, they had to introduce a minimum weight for kayaks to prevent people from themselves...

3 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Jaaaaa sure it does in a riders mind and on paper and in the lab

But in reality I wonder.... Riders eat and drink stuff all day without having a poop (except Mr Dumoulin 😬) and pour water (hopefully) over themselves without worrying about the extra added weight.

Damn can you imagine Pogacar / Vinegaard looses the TDF because they poured to much water on themselves... or did not stop for a poop

I remember a time long ago last century when river racing kayaks / canoes where being made so light that they flexed while being carried on portages, they had to introduce a minimum weight for kayaks to prevent people from themselves...

I rate we would be surprised, being a 59kg rider myself, forgot my bottle when leaving home and noticed only becuase up the hill leaving my home the bike felt amazingly snappy. That was a difference of 600grams.

the water they spray on themselves will often dry pretty quick and the cooling benefit it gives in itself is a marginal (or large) gain.

Talking about spraying bottles, you will see some of them spray out some fluid onto the tarmac, often on the last climb of the day to shed some weight... at that level any advantage they will take.

anyone know what tyre types majority of riders are riding. i read somewhere most still riding tubular tyres... to allow them to roll until the support arrives is this the case?

3 minutes ago, Meezo said:

anyone know what tyre types majority of riders are riding. i read somewhere most still riding tubular tyres... to allow them to roll until the support arrives is this the case?

was watching a youtube the other day, looks like most have switched to tubeless, most common width being 28mm.

I’ve seen reports of 32mm on some teams.

Some teams have liners in their wheels, to keep the (tubeless) tyres from going completely flat.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Dr Ross Tucker refers to hand size for women, and feels a smaller rugby ball would produce better flowing rugby (for the women).

RG says the ball is already too small