Tour de France 2024

'Dale

16 minutes ago, Jaco Steyn said:

Would someone please educate me, I am a very novice when it comes to pro cycling.

Why did so many riders cycle yesterday's stage without wearing cycling gloves? Even Tadej Pogačar did not have gloves on.

Just preference I think. Gloves are also possibly slightly warmer, so on a hot day, it's probably nicer to not wear them. But some guys seem to just like not wearing gloves (like Pogacar) and are willing to risk their hands if they do happen to crash, but will typically only go gloveless on stages where they think the probability of crashing is low. Jonas seems to always wear gloves though, so it really is just a preference thing

Pogacar yesterday - no gloves

image.png.12f8c530b43e288f8592356ecc4653b3.png

Gloves for the gravel stage - higher risk of crashing, and for comfort on rough terrain

image.png.34d08378c9f99b5cf8f7459a42f243b4.png

Gloves on in the stage 13 sprint stage:

image.png.0844353303c9dcdfe8d18865e35862ce.png

Edited by Mountain Bru

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mountain Bru said:

First day that truly suits Jonas today. All the mind games and cryptic interviews will be out the window, and it'll only be legs talking.... Can't flippen wait. 

If history is anything to go by, Pogi is going to pay today for going deep yesterday. A 200km long 5000m elevation gain stage is also prime Jonas territory, and the high kJ days have typically not been good for Pogi, especially after hard days prior. Added to that, weather looks like low 20s, which is also in Jonas favour (rather than the cold which Pogi loves).

If Pogi wins today, I think he wins the tour. If he fully cracks on Plateau du Beille, he'll lose minutes, and the tour is in Jonas hands. If Jonas wins by 30s, we're in for an absolutely thrilling last 3 stages with it all possibly coming down to the stage 21 time trial. 
Either way, I think these are special times to be a cycling fan

Did he really go deep yesterday? To me he rode smart. His teammates protected up until 4km to go. 

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Inside source from someone on the UAE team staff is that the team car has been screaming at Pog to stop attacking all the time and defend.

Apparently he just ignores them and they are pulling their hair out.

Well Yates did say that Pogi told him to attack and he was like “what….did I hear you say ….a..t…t..a..c…k?” 
So there’s a bit of back and forth with the car

Yates “ boss boss” over the radio but  does what he’s asked and the DS starts asking questions but Yates realises that Pogi probably has a cunning plan. Launches but keeps looking back to see when Pogi is coming across. No one reacts…. No one. No Jorgensen No Evenepoel no Vingegaar. 

I can’t wait for Tour de France season 3 on NF!!!

The Main Cheese is in the break again today.
Some big guns, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Well Yates did say that Pogi told him to attack and he was like “what….did I hear you say ….a..t…t..a..c…k?” 
So there’s a bit of back and forth with the car

Yates “ boss boss” over the radio but  does what he’s asked and the DS starts asking questions but Yates realises that Pogi probably has a cunning plan. Launches but keeps looking back to see when Pogi is coming across. No one reacts…. No one. No Jorgensen No Evenepoel no Vingegaar. 

I can’t wait for Tour de France season 3 on NF!!!

It's a reliable source... Pog is genuinely disobeying the team car constantly. 

It is entertaining, so it definitely adds to the spectacle and absolute unpredictability of the next week.

25 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Did he really go deep yesterday? To me he rode smart. His teammates protected up until 4km to go. 

https://lanternerouge.com/2024/07/13/pogacar-possibly-does-the-greatest-performance-of-the-21st-century-tour-de-france-2024-stage-14/

"Pogačar did 6.85 ᵉW/Kg for 27:50 min, which is above the All-Time Top 30 trend-line. For sea level normalised, it is 7.16 ᵉW/Kg. Pogačar beat Lance Armstrong’s 2001 and Tony Rominger, Miguel Indurain and Zenon Jaskula’s 1993 times by around two minutes."

For him to put 40s in Jonas in under 4km, either Jonas is a mug, or he emptied the tank. Or his FTP is in the thousands. Jonas didn't crack, so he didn't put that time into him while he was dawdling. If you think he does that without going deep, you must have been watching different bike races to me over the last 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It is entertaining, so it definitely adds to the spectacle and absolute unpredictability of the next week.

Gonna be interesting to see if it comes back to hurt him. Team car is probably trying to save his legs for days like today (and stage 19 and 20) knowing how things have gone in the past, and Pogi is just an absolute bike racer and goes ball to the wall when he sniffs a win with no regard for the next days. Gotta love it, but I fear his team car might be proved right in time. 

14 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I believe you because Yates said Pogi told him to attack. The conversation that wasn't seen was the WTF are they doing .!!!??" chat

15 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

https://lanternerouge.com/2024/07/13/pogacar-possibly-does-the-greatest-performance-of-the-21st-century-tour-de-france-2024-stage-14/

"Pogačar did 6.85 ᵉW/Kg for 27:50 min, which is above the All-Time Top 30 trend-line. For sea level normalised, it is 7.16 ᵉW/Kg. Pogačar beat Lance Armstrong’s 2001 and Tony Rominger, Miguel Indurain and Zenon Jaskula’s 1993 times by around two minutes."

For him to put 40s in Jonas in under 4km, either Jonas is a mug, or he emptied the tank. Or his FTP is in the thousands. Jonas didn't crack, so he didn't put that time into him while he was dawdling. If you think he does that without going deep, you must have been watching different bike races to me over the last 2 years. 

i think you're way too dramatic

38 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

13 riders went faster than Lances 2001 time yesterday 
There was a strong tailwind 
LR over estimate values when they try calculate them
Looking at the VAM value and calculation this is more 6.6-6.7wkg which is still insane. 

Edited by J Wakefield

To me Pogi looked quite fresh compared to Jonas at the finish. He actually doubled his gap in the last 1km. Especially compared to the stage Jonas won. There he looked proper like he was riding on fumes.

22 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

13 riders went faster than Lances 2001 time yesterday 
There was a strong tailwind 
LR over estimate values when they try calculate them
Looking at the VAM value and calculation this is more 6.6-6.7wkg which is still insane. 

In addition Pogačar pushed out a 8min effort , hardly “going deep”…

furthermore Vingegaard also had to match that effort because he didn’t look like a man who rode a metered effort to limit losses when he crossed the line. But essentially it was a 9min effort or thereabouts, not even a FTP test

VLB don’t have many riders left here and the pace isn’t very high, in front paracaz is coming back to the break after being dropped earlier

Holding thumbs for the breakaway to stay away. 😈

Stage 1 with the Bardet breakaway success feels like a month ago.

***As I just sent this, brave Jonas went dancing on the pedals and attacked. Eish!***

Edited by 'Dale

Evenepoel riding a very measured stage

and boooom there he goes

Jo’s hanging off the handlebars now

hebjust watched his tour dream ride around his right shoulder .

heads dropping too much too often

Edited by DieselnDust