Bib Shorts

JJDT

I'm in the market for new shorts and I was looking at the Ciovita range. I do have a budget of R2k and was looking at Corsa range of Ciovita. I have used the Anotomic bib shorts in the past with no issues and currently after two years using the Platinum shorts of Anatomic, I think it is time for new bib shorts.

How does the Anatomic Platinum shorts compare to the Ciovita Corsa shorts apart from price?

Relevant if you’re following the Rhino Run (2500km non stop gravel race), Kevin Benkenstein (leader) swears by Privateer brand bibs. 

I love the Supremo range from Ciovita and I normally use the Corsa shorts whilst riding indoors. They're not bad but after around 50km / 2-3 hours I start feeling it 😁. If I had to choose I would rather look out for promotions and possibly either get a Supremo or if on ASSOS I would go with S7 or so

Assos has a huge reputation for having the best bibs. Whether this is true is a different debate. They’re also quite pricey though so if you can afford it, consider. They do have regular sales as well so just keep your eyes open. If you want my personal opinion, i think it’s a lot of hype. But again, I weigh around 57kg so that could play a big factor. I do think the bigger you are, the more this comes into play. I’ve used quite a few of the well know brands, Assos, Castelli etc and I dont think there’s much difference in it for me. I got a Campionissimo bib for dirt cheap on sale not too long ago which is supposed to be their top of the line one and again, I honestly didn’t feel any difference.

I personally think fit is more important. If your bib fits right, you’ll be comfortable. A lot of times people don’t want a super tight fight but this also means more friction. So for me make sure there is no movement by your chamois. If your chamois moves because its too loose, then that causes friction and irritation. What Assos do have though is the chamois working independently with the bibs which is supposed to prevent any friction. However if your fit is spot on then to me that doesn’t play that big a role.

good advice already given re fit and pads. The other thing to consider is the design intent of the bibs.

Corsa 2.0 vs Supremo have the pad positioned slightly differently. Corsa for a more upright riding position, Supremo for a more aggressive position, then Apex for the Slam-the-stem crowd. You;d need to consider this as part of the on the bike comfort.

I use Corsa 2.0 on my Mtb and Supremo on the my road bike. I also have Assos Mille which is also more suited to a more upright riding position.

It can get a bit complicated but generally the tighter fit bibs are for more aggressive positions on the bike. The Exception is the Assos Rally range which is designed for a more aggressive position on the MTB / gravel bike (thicker pad in the sit bone and crotch area than Mille or Equippe.

I also have Vye Cycling Bibs in Mirage and Velo race (Discontinued) where the Mirage is for a more upright rider with more volume and the new Power Quad is for lower volume riders who sit in a more aggressive position.

Do your research on the pad and pad positioning and most of all be honest with yourself about body type and BMI. Sizing up in a higher end bib designed for a rider of lower volume in a more aggressive position can be more uncomfortable after 3 hrs than a cheap bib with a thinner pad but fits you properly

I have found the F-Tech bibs to be a good fit and great padding - I'm a big and heavy rider and found these very comfortable, the straps over the shoulders are also very comfortable and the product is really good quality

Not sure of costs though - got 4 pars on special a short while back.

2 hours ago, JJDT said:

I'm in the market for new shorts and I was looking at the Ciovita range. I do have a budget of R2k and was looking at Corsa range of Ciovita. I have used the Anotomic bib shorts in the past with no issues and currently after two years using the Platinum shorts of Anatomic, I think it is time for new bib shorts.

How does the Anatomic Platinum shorts compare to the Ciovita Corsa shorts apart from price?

Personally I found Ciovita inferior and less comfortable than Assos, that being said, guys I cycle with find them extremely comfortable. Much like the advice given above, fit/comfort of each brand is relative. 

If the current bib you own is comfortable, then stick with it. Should you want to try something else -> https://www.cyclelab.com/product/5005542-bibshort-men-assos-mille-gt-blk, within your budget and you can judge for yourself it they are worth the hype. 

✌️

Had Corsa .... padding issues ... Ciovita replaced it .... I then encountered their notorious sizing issues .... apparently the same size, but way too small.

IF you buy Ciovita .... just make sure you get the the correct size.  And when you buy your next item in the same size .... make sure it is actually the same size.

Been using Assos since.  Very happy with their products.

PS . For rides of 3 to 5 hours I use the First Accent cycling pants.  The bib is used for long rides only.

8 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Had Corsa .... padding issues ... Ciovita replaced it .... I then encountered their notorious sizing issues .... apparently the same size, but way too small.

IF you buy Ciovita .... just make sure you get the the correct size.  And when you buy your next item in the same size .... make sure it is actually the same size.

Been using Assos since.  Very happy with their products.

PS . For rides of 3 to 5 hours I use the First Accent cycling pants.  The bib is used for long rides only.

SHjoe, so 3 to 5 hrs isn't too long....?

Do you havea DC team yet :)?

On 10/29/2022 at 3:36 PM, DieselnDust said:

SHjoe, so 3 to 5 hrs isn't too long....?

Do you havea DC team yet :)?

All relative ....😋

@DieselnDust

Submitted my CV .... DC teams reminded me it is a day event, not a stage race .... 🙈

After a few months of 3 hour rides, and shorter .... this one hurt .....  good bibs certainly help, but nothing like being saddle fit ....

Screenshot_20221030-162506_Strava.jpg.294b190ba736c351d0e579173236255f.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

Bought Monton recently on Takealot .Also have multiple assos, craft,Van H,Anatomic .Very happy with the bib at R1000 worth every cent .Ciovita and my winter assos bib has a worn area at the rear just above the chamois line .Don,t know what caused it .General wear or baggies that i sometime wear over them  

Edited by eala

• 9 months later...

Some updates from my side. I’m a bit miffed with the quality of my corsa2.0 bibs

two oairs of bibs have now gone transparent above the rear of the butt pad . It looks like the lycra cross weave has failed. Pretty disappointing since both pairs are less than a year old 🤨

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Some updates from my side. I’m a bit miffed with the quality of my corsa2.0 bibs

two oairs of bibs have now gone transparent above the rear of the butt pad . It looks like the lycra cross weave has failed. Pretty disappointing since both pairs are less than a year old 🤨

and I see the price of them has gone through the roof lately, I think I'll either be buying another pair of Vye bibs or will splurge and get a pair of Assos. I like my current Corsa 1.0s, but cant justify spending over 2k for bibs that people are reporting the same issues you have.

31 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Have also experienced the same... Have only 1 pair and about 1/1.5 years old and the back area is degrading/marbling/whatever you call it. The elastics and pad is still fine.

2 minutes ago, Roul said:

Have also experienced the same... Have only 1 pair and about 1/1.5 years old and the back area is degrading/marbling/whatever you call it. The elastics and pad is still fine.

ya these guys are now indoor bibs or I'll get arrested for public indecency and my bike impounded. And its like a bought a size down for that compression fit. they're super roomy for a size small and they were  not bought on special. Likely from One Day only i suspect. I'll have to dig out the sales receipt. I think I'll do the same and just fork out for better bibs 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Thats sad to hear. I had the same with the Corsas. and the comments I've heard was that it was a specific batch and issues are sorted. Looks like I'll wait a bit longer to give them another shot. (Their service when ordering shirts were awesome though)

I've ordered Castelli bibs when on special (55% off at the moment, btw) and have been happy so far.