Stained Matt bike

PJ007

1 hour ago, bikebloke said:

id be more worried that you are swallowing something that can damage carbon fiber and paint ...🤮

#drinkwater

This is what I was thinking . . . 🤯

If your energy drink can do that, then I'd be very worried.

On 11/4/2022 at 12:59 PM, DJR said:

I would guess that some of the minerals in the drink (it has both sugar and salt in it) got on the frame and then dried out and formed crystals in the rough surface of the matt. That is what shows up as white. I would wet it thouroughly with clean water, perhaps even keep it wet for a hour or so with a wet rag or cotton, then brush gently with a toothbrush and blow on it with compressed air and rinse at the same time. The idea is to dissolve the crystals and then rinse it away and dry. If dry and the spots remain, then I would guess that it might have had some kind of chemical interaction with the paint?

@DJR

This is exactly what I thought and thanks for the time taken to try help instead of stupid comments others have put like me jizzing on my bike. lol

So I thought I just post a comment here in case anyone ever experiences something similar

So long story short - I used a combo after calling my bike shop of some mr min and just generally a few sessions of rubbing it down with a shammy

It helped but but only a little...or so it seemed

However by the next day - gone! So i'm not sure if was a combo of what I did or the ingredients/reaction simply needed to break down

Anyway all is well and it was quite an interesting experience (I should have concentrated on science class more as kid):)

That is chain lube that has flung off when lubing up or pedaling too fast before the lube has dried. My guess is squirt or smoove? Dab some gleen green or petrol on a cloth and wipe it off...

19 minutes ago, PJ007 said:

@DJR

This is exactly what I thought and thanks for the time taken to try help instead of stupid comments others have put like me jizzing on my bike. lol

So I thought I just post a comment here in case anyone ever experiences something similar

So long story short - I used a combo after calling my bike shop of some mr min and just generally a few sessions of rubbing it down with a shammy

It helped but but only a little...or so it seemed

However by the next day - gone! So i'm not sure if was a combo of what I did or the ingredients/reaction simply needed to break down

Anyway all is well and it was quite an interesting experience (I should have concentrated on science class more as kid):)

most likely the Mr Min that helped.

If you're ever struggling to get the glue from a sticker off of something, spray Mr Min on, you will see a chemical reaction and the glue then comes off easily

.... or the paint absorbing moisture, and just having time to dry out by the next day? 

Edited by EddieV

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

There is no way that 32GI caused that stains. Definitely something else.

I think we all would like to think so. But it might be that there is something in the 32GI that reacted with the paint?

This is from another site listing the ingredients in the 32GI Hydrate: (don't know what the OP used)

potassium citrate, magnesium sulphate, riboflavin 5-phosphate, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, ascorbic acid, calcium d-pantothenate, nicotinamide, cyanocobalamin, sodium citrate, flavoring, colouring agent beetroot red, maltodextrin, sucralose (non-nutritive sweetener), polyethylene glycol, citric acid, sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate

https://32gi.com/products/hydrate-tabs

https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/6009803683728/hydrate-32gi

(Can't verify information on this site is correct)

In general Citric Acid can break down coatings and leave a cloudy appearance

Edited by EddieV

So it's your first ride on a bike you've just bought 2ndhand?

Could it be that those marks have always been there but just hidden under some black polish and only became visible once you wiped the frame down?

your supplement/drink dissolves in water so if it's the drink you can only/easily wash it off with water, degreaser etc. doesn't help. If water doesn't work, it's something else

Guys, it is not 32GI. It is chain lube. Go look at your wahoo, you will have similar spots, go look at any motorbike, same thing. Whether it is off your bike or someone else's, it is chain lube that has been flung off the chain. Any degreaser will work.

16 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Guys, it is not 32GI. It is chain lube. Go look at your wahoo, you will have similar spots, go look at any motorbike, same thing. Whether it is off your bike or someone else's, it is chain lube that has been flung off the chain. Any degreaser will work.

It's a Good Theory but Look at the Picture Some is on top of the Top Tube

The only reason I am saying this is because I get heavy handed with lube on the trainer bike(matt black) and because it is so stable on the wahoo I often spin out the crank when lubing up, which flings squirt/smooth. So I have these same marks all over the bike. I also had a bottle of powerbar leak the other day when the fizzy tab made pressure and bottle leaks look very different. I will go take some photos just now. Remember it could have been standing next to someone else lubing a chain who flung it your way as well.