2022 Virgin Active Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

I will C you in C, for about 1 minute into the race and then I will C you disappear ahead of me. :)

This event also has me at 1 less than I've done as there was 1 year where a different timing company timed the event and other than the medal and some photos there seems to be no other evidence that I did the race that year.

Do you think you can do a sub-3?
If you want a pace-partner, let me know, and I’ll gladly help. 

I did the pacing for this group at Amashova; including fetching water at two water points for my fellow club members.
04F04E51-75B4-4E20-BD96-6C1D5742A18A.jpeg.aaa9e7f493031125e069a951ea67cb42.jpeg
0F71B93A-E38B-4DE5-A60A-662FC4BF0896.jpeg.1cae166584e0e21d1036a866e63bf0fb.jpeg

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I did the pacing for this group at Amashova; including fetching water at two water points for my fellow club members.

I think with the right group and right conditions I could do a sub 3. Did a 3h21 last year and only rode on a group until the climb up from grayston. 

2 years away from entering any event after the 2019 edition has gotten me stuck with a Q group start... I am going to have a much longer day in the saddle - extra volume half frozen camelback bottles for me.... I will be lucky to 3:30 this year. Thinking about it now I was lucky to 2:55 the 2019 event. 🤪

Flying up to Joburg for this one - somehow missed my seeding email, see I still had up to today to ask for a re-seeding.

Did a 2h50 CTCT earlier this year but I am seeded in C - is the field just really strong or is the seeding system wonky?

16 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Flying up to Joburg for this one - somehow missed my seeding email, see I still had up to today to ask for a re-seeding.

Did a 2h50 CTCT earlier this year but I am seeded in C - is the field just really strong or is the seeding system wonky?

Perhaps the groups are smaller, with the 11,000 odd entries spread over all the normal group.

Also, I’ve started in Vets groups without having had a licence since 2017.

20 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Perhaps the groups are smaller, with the 11,000 odd entries spread over all the normal group.

Also, I’ve started in Vets groups without having had a licence since 2017.

Cool tx. I see there are a lot of groups and C bunch is pretty early, would be nice to be re-seeded with the vets but not going to make a fuss.

7 hours ago, TheoG said:

Anyone got seeding for the MTB race yet?

Spoke to them today, seeding will go out on the Monday of race week. 

I thought I had mistakenly deleted it after getting the road seeding lol

On 10/20/2022 at 1:03 PM, BouncingBrain said:

Anyone know what time the B group (front end) did last year? Pity we can't check on finishtime. 

It was sub 2h40, they didnt play cat and mouse on the highway like A

On 10/21/2022 at 5:48 PM, Frosty said:

Watching the Comrades this year it was very cool to see those pace groups coming into the finish and how well managed the pacers kept the timing - Was wondering when this will become a thing in cycle races. 

15 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Watching the Comrades this year it was very cool to see those pace groups coming into the finish and how well managed the pacers kept the timing - Was wondering when this will become a thing in cycle races. 

I don't see it working quite the same.

With running its all about getting on the right pace and maintaining it as constant as possible, and that is exactly what the "bus leaders" do, they are always very experienced runners capable of going much faster.  Zero drafting effect.

With cycling, obviously drafting a very real thing, would the bus leader ride in front and break the wind for the group start to finish?

I would be very happy & comfortable saying I did a Bill Rowan (sub 9:00) running in a "bus" for Comrades.

I would not be comfortable saying I did sub 3:00 while sitting on someone else's wheel the entire time .... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TheoG

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

I would not be comfortable saying I did sub 3:00 while sitting on someone else's wheel the entire time .... 🤷‍♂️

I have zero issues with drafting someone to my goal time, isn't that the whole point of cycling in large groups?

But yes, I don't see it becoming a thing in cycling - think finish times are much more weather & conditions dependent than for running, and the majority of people in the bunch wouldn't care about the same time goal.