Chainring 34T vs 36T oval

Lukas Ferreira

16 minutes ago, eala said:

I don,t think you get a 36 oval .I ride 34 oval and if you have a 52 at the back it is plenty .A 34 oval gives you effectively a 36 speed ,and with a 10 it is enough .i also have a 32 oval that climbs better ,but also works on tar . Short answer ,use a 34 oval on and thank me later 

images (4).jpeg

Edited by NotSoBigBen

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/11/2022 at 6:21 PM, guidodg said:

biggest difference for me on an MTB with an oval 32T is when doing a steep technical climb on loose terrain the power is transmitted more linearly and there is far less loss of traction...try it to see

I ride different bikes and some have oval and some round .When i change from oval to round after a long time i can definitely feel that the back of my legs work harder on the round .I prefer ovals and find climbing is better .I find the upstroke is less effort and it kinda builds momentum for the down stroke  .i always ride a heavier gear with the oval than the round .

2 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

images (4).jpeg

Whatever !.I have never seen a 36 oval . A 34 oval gives 32 and 36 effectively and they work for me .I know the stroke is still round ,but the power transfer of the stroke is not equal on the same leg in the up and down stroke with an oval ,and that is why they work .Gravity helps with the downstroke and then you crunch a 36 teeth downwards .On the upstroke you raise a slightly easier 32 teeth on the same leg ,it builds slight momentum because it takes less effort and gets more oxygen ,then it crunches again with momentum ,gravity helping and more oxygen on the downstroke ,ON the SAME LEG !!!!.

11 minutes ago, eala said:

Whatever !.I have never seen a 36 oval . A 34 oval gives 32 and 36 effectively and they work for me .I know the stroke is still round ,but the power transfer of the stroke is not equal on the same leg in the up and down stroke with an oval ,and that is why they work .Gravity helps with the downstroke and then you crunch a 36 teeth downwards .On the upstroke you raise a slightly easier 32 teeth on the same leg ,it builds slight momentum because it takes less effort and gets more oxygen ,then it crunches again with momentum ,gravity helping and more oxygen on the downstroke ,ON the SAME LEG !!!!.

I do use oval rings and have my own opinion of the benefits I have felt, be those perceived or real .... I am also aware that there are some strong opinions about them on this here forum and they are not all positive 🤪

2 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I do use oval rings and have my own opinion of the benefits I have felt, be those perceived or real .... I am also aware that there are some strong opinions about them on this here forum and they are not all positive 🤪

Never tried them but my logic tells me the gain would be marginal.  I can make much bigger gains elsewhere, train harder, loose more weight etc ....

7 minutes ago, 117 said:

You should search the classifieds here on Le Hub sometime... 

#justsayin

I don't know why somebody would use a 36 oval on a MTB . Maybe if you have a 52 teeth at the back .A 36  oval will give you 38 X 10 at the back , maybe if you race downhill 

2 minutes ago, eala said:

I don't know why somebody would use a 36 oval on a MTB . Maybe if you have a 52 teeth at the back .A 36  oval will give you 38 X 10 at the back , maybe if you race downhill 

I have 36 on my one bike and 38 x 10-52 on the other.  I don't like to spin like crazy, so it work for me.  I use the 38 one more for road riding since its a rigid Rapidé.

Once I'm lighter/stronger/fitter, will for sure use only 38 on both bikes.

58 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I have 36 on my one bike and 38 x 10-52 on the other.  I don't like to spin like crazy, so it work for me.  I use the 38 one more for road riding since its a rigid Rapidé.

Once I'm lighter/stronger/fitter, will for sure use only 38 on both bikes.

I have a 34 oval (came with the second hand bike), and I find it’s too small for where we ride.

For me, 36 would be better, but I’m not sure about a 38 on my setup. I’m still contemplating going back to a 2x setup.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I have a 34 oval (came with the second hand bike), and I find it’s too small for where we ride.

For me, 36 would be better, but I’m not sure about a 38 on my setup. I’m still contemplating going back to a 2x setup.

If its a 104bcd you have, I'll gladly lend my 38t to you to see how badly you dont want one

hahahaha this is gold.

'Maybe if you have a 52 on the back'.... 

Pretty sure the OP said he had a 52 on the back.

Anyway, I said it o another thread and I will say it here, opinions are like pro nouns, everyone has them, but some just don't sit well with others.

I ran a 32 oval with a 19 tooth rear cog on my SS for years. I must have done 30000km with that set up. I found the oval 'did' help when I was grinding at a cadence of 7 up a really steep hill and had to leverage the whole bike just to get the pedal stroke over the top without spinning the back wheel out. 

With gears? If your pedal stroke is struggling, work on it. One thing science HAS proven is that a 34 most definitely does NOT perform like a 32 on the climbs and a 36 on the flats. 

It performs like a 34.

Anyway, as you were. I'm enjoying this debate. 650B!

4 hours ago, eala said:

i'm running out of popcorn but I see someone stole my coke

5 hours ago, eala said:

We have 36 and 38 tooth ovals in stock.