[Event] The Karoo Burn

Dryland Events

Event Name: The Karoo Burn
When: 25/02/2023
Where: , Calvinia, Northern Cape
Category: Mountain Bike

This is a long distance off-road event like no other. Spectacular and harsh - it’s the ultimate off-road endurance test that will test every part of you… especially your mind!

Starting in the Great Karoo sheep-farming town of Calvinia, the route heads onto the longest dirt road in South Africa – the R355.

After an initial climb out of Calvinia, the course drops down towards the 110km mark along fast-rolling gravel roads. But beware the middle-mannetjie! Some of those gravel roads hide rocky shards that can shred a tyre in an instant so caution is critical.

The first 103km is just a warm-up. The real work starts after Waterpoint 3 as the road starts to climb slowly and the track becomes rougher. Choosing the right line on these gravel roads is key.

Avoiding the corrugations will save your hands and that sensitive area that attaches you to the saddle! Opt for the smoother sandy sections and you could find yourself battling through the soft stuff that can quickly grab your front wheel and buck you off.

Keep the pace up and ensure you make the right tyre pressure choice as you head towards the 170km mark and the famous Tankwa Padstal at Waterpoint 4. Make sure you eat, top up your hydration and pack in plenty of water as you swing off the R355 and head up the brutal, but majestic, Katbakkies Pass – the toughest part of the course.

The Pass will come as the hot African sun starts to set and the magnificent Tankwa will show off its world famous beauty. From there, it’s a welcome descent at 190km followed by rewarding undulating roads as you head towards the finish at Kaleo Guest Farm.

Go to Event Page.

• 4 weeks later...

@stringbeanLooking at the floods the Tankwa experienced a week after the Munga, and from what I’ve heard from people that have been there since, the roads are rough and broken up. I wouldn’t tackle that on anything other than a dual suspension bike. But thats just me, with my 100kg frame. I ran a 36 oval with 10-51 gearing for Munga and it served me fine, if that helps. The road drags gradually uphill so I don’t think anything more than that would be necessary. Enjoy!

Edited by gemmerbal

7 hours ago, stringbean said:

Anyone doing this event?

Those with experience,Mtb or gravel bike?

If gravel bike what gearing?

TIA

I went up to Tankwa from the 26-30th Dec with the plan of riding both the R355 and R354. I took a dual suspension bike and a gravel bike with 42/47 tyres. (and even with a Redshift seatpost and 30mm Lefty fork it was unpleasant...) 

The first 20-25km of the R355 that runs from the R46 is horrendous, and was difficult and unpleasant to ride on either bike. The roads are in poor condition, lots of sandy sections, and areas of exposed sharp rocks. The R354 running East from the R355 turnoff is even worse, and pretty much unridable. 

The R355 northwards (I rode it for 60km) after the Tankwa padstal is fairly good, although some of the usual corrugated areas.

As far as gearing, the roads are fairly flat and easy to ride, so no need to change what you normally run.... I would also definitely use a dual suspension rather than a gravel bike. 👍

Edited by Mark James

16 hours ago, stringbean said:

Anyone doing this event?

TIA

I don't think there is a clear winner here - up to personal preferences.

I think if you are going to race for podium probably gravel bike (and if gravel bike is your thing), rest of us will be happier on a full-sus mtb.

Saw loads of gravel bikes having mechanicals last year, don't under-estimate the terrain. But at the same time gravel bikes were clearly faster at the times they weren't breaking down (excluding Katbakkies pass where we passed a few)

17 hours ago, stringbean said:

Anyone doing this event?

TIA

MTB with sufficient great-granny-gear in case the wheels come off on that long climb

On 12/11/2022 at 12:01 PM, Dryland Events said:

Event Name: The Karoo Burn
When: 25/02/2023
Where: Calvinia, , Calvinia, Northern Cape
Category: Mountain Bike

This is a long distance off-road event like no other. Spectacular and harsh - it’s the ultimate off-road endurance test that will test every part of you… especially your mind!

Starting in the Great Karoo sheep-farming town of Calvinia, the route heads onto the longest dirt road in South Africa – the R355.

After an initial climb out of Calvinia, the course drops down towards the 110km mark along fast-rolling gravel roads. But beware the middle-mannetjie! Some of those gravel roads hide rocky shards that can shred a tyre in an instant so caution is critical.

The first 103km is just a warm-up. The real work starts after Waterpoint 3 as the road starts to climb slowly and the track becomes rougher. Choosing the right line on these gravel roads is key.

Avoiding the corrugations will save your hands and that sensitive area that attaches you to the saddle! Opt for the smoother sandy sections and you could find yourself battling through the soft stuff that can quickly grab your front wheel and buck you off.

Keep the pace up and ensure you make the right tyre pressure choice as you head towards the 170km mark and the famous Tankwa Padstal at Waterpoint 4. Make sure you eat, top up your hydration and pack in plenty of water as you swing off the R355 and head up the brutal, but majestic, Katbakkies Pass – the toughest part of the course.

The Pass will come as the hot African sun starts to set and the magnificent Tankwa will show off its world famous beauty. From there, it’s a welcome descent at 190km followed by rewarding undulating roads as you head towards the finish at Kaleo Guest Farm.

Go to Event Page.

Has always seemed like a type 3 fun event to me, you could have a better time at the dentist. And the logistics are a schlep.

I really don't get the point of racing "the country's crappiest road". Sounds like going to the dancefloor sober and still hunting the porkiest bokkie from the first song. 

But hey, there will be supporters who disagree with my views, each to their own.

13 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Has always seemed like a type 3 fun event to me, you could have a better time at the dentist. And the logistics are a schlep.

I really don't get the point of racing "the country's crappiest road". Sounds like going to the dancefloor sober and still hunting the porkiest bokkie from the first song. 

But hey, there will be supporters who disagree with my views, each to their own.

Last year the road between Calvinia and the Tankwa Padstal was in a decent condition & add to this a tailwind for the first +-150km (granted this could easily be a headwind any other year) it was not nearly as bad as you imagine it to be.

The other Tankwa roads are generally in far worse condition from what I remember from other rides.

• 1 month later...

Was really really keen on this event until one of my colleagues came back from holiday from that part of the world.

Said after the floods in tankwa the roads are in serious bad shape to the point even on a Mtb it’s going to be unpleasant.

decided to then give it a skip.

‘Good luck and sterkte with everyone going 👍🏻

1 hour ago, stringbean said:

Was really really keen on this event until one of my colleagues came back from holiday from that part of the world.

Said after the floods in tankwa the roads are in serious bad shape to the point even on a Mtb it’s going to be unpleasant.

decided to then give it a skip.

‘Good luck and sterkte with everyone going 👍🏻

Too late for me now... Will tell you on Monday whether your buddy lied or not..

I also see a nice headwind predicted for Saturday, at least the heat wont be so bad. But I expect a very different race to last year..

Edit - not sure which roads your colleague took but normally the road for the race is in a better condition than the other Tankwa roads. The roads around the national park and towards the pass to Middelpos are horrific at the best of times.

Edited by Skubarra

This was December on the Tankwa padstal facebook page. 

In the Northen Cape nothing happens fast, so the might have fixed the road, but not all of it

Screenshot_20230223_124635.jpg

Some pics riding on the road to and from Die Mond after new year, ie after flood damage.

The road disappeared, so we spent quite a lot of time walking or riding in the veld next to the road where there was less topsoil/ sand.

45km took us 5hrs moving.

Very likely that they have graded it since, but any wind is moving the silt/ soil about freely after the floods.

It was one of my harder days on a bike - headwind, heat, sand. 

Skittery/ katbakkies is a real beast!

DSCF7273.jpg

DSCF7274.jpg

T15.JPG

So turns out the road between Calvinia and the Tankwa Padstal was perfectly fine. The headwinds though were brutal.

Early morning the first 60kms were easy going but after 7h00 the wind started picking up and from then on you had to work for every km into a raging headwind. Groups splintered into smaller groups and later that morning many riders were struggling along solo or in pairs.

Katbakkies was ok, turning west at least you didn't have to fight the wind up the climb, but after hours of headwinds many just didn't have the matches left to ride it. Saw a few top 20 finishers walking sections of it, I assume it was the same for most of the riders further down the field.

After the Katbakkies section the road turned south again and again you had to fight the wind to the finish for every kilometer.

If I read the results right little more than half the field finished the event, I suspect if every year is as tough as 2023 this race will not be around for the longterm (like the Trans Karoo that died to soon...).